PDA

View Full Version : T206 Backs on Stars

Cozumeleno
04-09-2015, 08:30 AM
I'm fairly new to this T-206 game, having been in for only a few months. Was at a bookstore and saw a Krause Publications Vintage Baseball Card Price Guide and thought it was interesting that they had some pricing for different backs of T-206 cards using multipliers (i.e. a Sovereign back was like 1.5x the value of the common Piedmont/Sweet Caps or something to that effect).

Now, I know better than to take the guides that come out once a year from Krause as gospel. But one thing they said caught my attention - that star backs for some of the non-Piedmont/Sweet Caps generally don't have a premium over the Piedmont/Sweet Cap pricing. In other words, the multipliers they provided for the other backs (in their words) only applied to commons.

Note that they said that for the backs that were rarer than Piedmont/Sweet Cap but not ultra rare. I'm talking things like Polar Bear, Sovereign, and Old Mill Black. Not Drum, Uzit, etc. I didn't have time to see what they had to say on those. They were essentially saying that something like a Mathewson Sovereign held the same value as a Piedmont Factory 25.

For those of you that have been at this longer than I have, do you notice that? On eBay, I've found the opposite with the prices for stars with the tougher backs commanding a premium. Is it just me or does the publication's statement seem flawed?