PDA

View Full Version : SF Tri-Star show this weekend.

DeanH3
04-08-2015, 10:52 PM
Anybody going? I plan on going Saturday.

Chris Counts
04-09-2015, 08:16 AM
I'm planning on going too, but I thought it was next weekend.

DeanH3
04-09-2015, 09:25 AM
Oops, I think you are correct.

ZenPop
04-09-2015, 05:08 PM
I'm going to try to hit the Saturday slot... with my 4-year old daughter in tow...

rajah424
04-09-2015, 05:57 PM
You might want to get there early Saturday. Hemp Con starts at 4:00.

jimtigers65
04-09-2015, 08:22 PM
I will be there on Saturday. Two years ago at the SF Tristar I picked up my first 1953 Glendale Meats Tigers card for $35. My co-worker (non-collector) is going with me since Mike Tyson is signing.

JollyElm
04-13-2015, 09:05 PM
Is this show mainly about the guys showing up to sign autographs (for a filthy amount of money) or will there be a decent amount of vintage card sellers present as well?

oaks1912
04-14-2015, 10:04 AM
The majority of the attendees at this show are there to see the more than 30 autograph guests. There will be exhibitors with pre 1960 material including Roger Neufeldt and myself. Sal Dichiera will not be there. But safe to say more than 75% of the attendees will be there for autographs

jimtigers65
04-14-2015, 09:00 PM
The majority of the attendees at this show are there to see the more than 30 autograph guests. There will be exhibitors with pre 1960 material including Roger Neufeldt and myself. Sal Dichiera will not be there. But safe to say more than 75% of the attendees will be there for autographs

Mark,

Any peers that you know of to pass on (discount entry, parking, etc)? I've only went one time (a couple years ago) and remembered standing in line to get into the place. I'll be going Saturday.

DeanH3
04-14-2015, 09:20 PM
Hey Jim,

I'll be there Saturday as well. Hopefully we will run into each other.

jimtigers65
04-19-2015, 08:51 PM
My observations from Saturday.
- Hempcom was going on in another part of the Cow Palace. So I was entertain watching the long line of people getting their medical cards to smoke.
- The majority of people seemed like they were spending big bucks on getting autographs of SF Giants.
- Talked to some good Net 54 people (Mark and Dean)
- Picked up 12 1955 Bowman cards (down to needing 35 cards to complete)
- Seemed to me that a lot of dealer tables had non-card stuff. I saw ladies SF dress shoes, baseball hats that were hand-painted, and SF trinkets. I guess I'm a traditionalst and would have prefered to see only cards. But they had a lot other merchandise.

DeanH3
04-19-2015, 10:22 PM
There was very little quality pre-war material. But as always, it was a pleasure chatting with Mark. I also enjoyed taking with Jim as well. It is definitely turning into mainly an autograph show. Unfortunately I'm a sucker for a card show so I'm sure I'll go again next year.

conor912
04-20-2015, 08:32 AM
Yeah, Mark mentioned the selection was weak. I last went to this show in 2008 and remember being pretty impressed with what I saw. Has the show really gone that down hill, or is my memory that bad (which is totally possible)?

I'll be curious to hear how they go when SF isn't coming off of a championship.....I'm assuming that played a major role in all the auto hype this year.

oaks1912
04-20-2015, 03:08 PM
Very few out of state exhibitors set up anymore, due to cost and impractical nature of flying with valuables these days. Complicating that is the high costs in San Francisco from lodging to gas to parking to food. Speaking of food, most attendees needed 2-3 times the normal servings of food this weekend due to Hemp Con next door, and the associated aromas. As mentioned earlier, it is primarily an autograph show. They get a crowd of 2500-3000 (estimate) but more than 75% of the attendees are there for signatures only. I enjoyed seeing more than 100 regulars over the weekend, including a few Net54 guys. Some good conversations and came home with a lot less material..:)

ZenPop
04-20-2015, 11:14 PM
I scored some fun stuff... mostly '50 Bowman cards... a Signal Gasoline '47 card... and one t206 (Art Fromme throwing... Polar Bear back... my 5th T206 card! (slow and steady... ha ha)...

Quick question, if anyone knows the answer... Who was the dealer who was on the right side as soon as you walked in the front door? He was very kind to me and my 4-year old daughter. He was awesome. Any contact info would be great!

oaks1912
04-21-2015, 10:51 AM
John... You dealt with Roger Neufeldt. I was at the other end of the table (near Beckett) but remember him giving your daughter a sticker. She was really patient for her age. Email me & I can put you in contact with him....

Rich Klein
04-21-2015, 11:47 AM
Roger called me a few days before he was heading out to the show (he was actually trying to reach someone else but dialed my number)

He explained to me the soaring costs of being in San Francisco for the show and pre-confirmed what Mark noted.

Now, if you want reasonable hotel rates, come down to the DFW area and let's get Tri-Star to put on a big show :)

Rich

conor912
04-21-2015, 12:04 PM
You mean $250/night for the Holiday Inn Express seems high? :)

ZenPop
04-21-2015, 12:51 PM
John... You dealt with Roger Neufeldt. I was at the other end of the table (near Beckett) but remember him giving your daughter a sticker. She was really patient for her age. Email me & I can put you in contact with him....

Yeah... She's pretty good... I forget sometimes that 4-year olds will get squirmy when having to sit still while their Dad pores over cards... ha ha...

Will do on the DM... and thanks, Mark!

oaks1912
04-21-2015, 01:59 PM
Conor...That $250 covers the parking. The room, city tax, county tax, state tax, living wage surcharge, in room fridge and microwave charge are extra. God forbid, you accidentally bump the items in the honor bar....it can really get high...:)

You mean $250/night for the Holiday Inn Express seems high? :)