PDA

View Full Version : So Much for Ebay buyer protection plan/guarentee

whiteymet
04-07-2015, 07:16 PM
Had my first run in with ebay regarding their Buyer Protection Plan/ Money Back Guarantee. What a waste!!!!!

I emailed the seller with a SPECIFIC question regarding his items. He assured me what I was asking about the items was indeed true. He had a no return policy.

I know some of you here will tell me it's my fault for bidding on an item from a seller who does not accept returns, but my current "argument" is with ebay

I received the items and of course none of what he replied about my question were true. I did notify the seller of this and emailed him directly asking him if he would accept my return. No Reply.

I opened an official case through ebay asking for a return he declined. It took me forever to find a phone number for ebay customer service. (Never could find it on their site).

Today, I finally got to the right department, explained the situation, the ebay rep. read through my ebay questions and saw that I indeed asked about the items before bidding and told him what I received was not what I had been told. He wrote up a report to submit to whomever.

This evening I received the following:

eBay Customer Support has reviewed the case and made a final decision. We've considered the case carefully and decided not to issue you a refund. We're sorry this didn't work out.

Decision:
This case has been decided in the seller's favor.

Comments:
We've determined that the seller has described the item accurately. Unfortunately, eBay Buyer Protection only covers items received if there was something wrong with them.

So it appears asking questions before buying is no help should the seller not be forthcoming with the true information about their item.

I guess ebay is saying it is OK with someone listing a card saying "BABE RUTH BASEBALL CARD". Then if I write to ask if it is an original or a reprint and the seller tells me it is an original, but once I get it, find it is a reprint, ebay won't help me because the seller described the item accurately!!!!

BROTHER!!

glchen
04-07-2015, 07:41 PM
Call ebay back and ask for an appeal. Show the ebay message where seller stated card is original. I've had the same thing happen and won. Probably should wait for US hours before you call so you can get a decision on the spot.

whiteymet
04-07-2015, 07:50 PM
Hi Gary;

I did not mean to imply that my case was about a reprint vs. original, just that what the seller says in correspondence is not taken into account by ebay should "problems" arise.

And that since a guy could list his item saying "BABE RUTH BASEBALL CARD" his description according to ebay was accurate so no recourse for the buyer even if he did ask if it was orignal and it turned out not to be the case!!! it IS a Babe Ruth card.

Batter67up
04-07-2015, 08:07 PM
Could you provide the auction number? If the seller was deceiving, providing this will prevent other people from getting taken advantage of by this selle

glchen
04-07-2015, 08:08 PM
From what I've been told, messages within the ebay system are taken into account in ebay cases. If the correspondence was via email outside the eBay system, then those may not be used.

clydepepper
04-07-2015, 08:09 PM
I've had two instances to use the buyers protection and was completely satisfied both times.
-
you should appeal...keep your cool and be tactful if at all possible
-

sports-rings
04-08-2015, 05:04 AM
Pay by paypal, using an American Express card.

when I have a problem, i call American Express and within two or three minutes of dialing the 800 number, Amex disputes the charge with paypal.

Paypal then yanks the payment from the seller and all the times i have done this, I have never "lost" my case with amex.

I could care less what ebay and paypal decide, i have never been warned or reprimanded or suspended by either company for this procedure.

I tried to call ebay and paypal in the past but also have gotten nowhere. amex gets practically instant results.

Using American express is a much better way to go.

jhs5120
04-08-2015, 07:18 AM
Appeal the case and tell Paypal the man is selling forgeries.

packs
04-08-2015, 07:37 AM
I would just file a Paypal claim and call my credit card company. Paypal pretty much only sides with the buyer. All you have to do is mark the item as not as described in their claim system. I haven't had them rule against me yet.

CW
04-08-2015, 10:22 AM
It's difficult to give an opinion of eBay's judgement without all the details. What was the specific question you asked, what was his reply, and how did this differ in real life?

If you truly feel you are in the right, I would follow the suggestion of contacting my credit card company. Good luck!

Gamebits
04-08-2015, 04:01 PM
First time I hear eBay is taking sellers' side :)

begsu1013
04-08-2015, 08:25 PM
always pay w/ an amex, even with your paypal account. adds an extra layer of protection. all you have to do is mail it back w/ proof of delivery.

vthobby
04-08-2015, 09:55 PM
Amex = 100% satisfaction.....never fails....screw Paypal and Ebay! :)

Mike

Gamebits
04-09-2015, 09:43 AM
"Amex = 100% satisfaction.....never fails....screw Paypal and Ebay!"

And the sellers too?