PDA

View Full Version : Seems like a steal!!!

HOF Auto Rookies
04-04-2015, 07:27 PM
Who wants in!?!? Maybe, just maybe if he doesn't get a career injury he could play in the majors, and maybe, just maybe he will break McGwires rookie hr record theeeeen potentially have a chance to sell for a profit LOL.

So dumb, but to each their own

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=381216370468

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

freakhappy
04-04-2015, 07:35 PM
Ugh...this is what sucks about the hobby today, overpriced crap! Don't get me wrong, it's a sweet card, but why on earth would anyone pay anything close to that??? Remember a few years back when Strasburg's cards were going for a ridiculous amount? How'd that work out?

So glad I don't go for much of this modern crap anymore :cool:

HOF Auto Rookies
04-04-2015, 07:36 PM
They can collect the shiny stuff all they want as long as they don't touch HOF signed rookies :)

vintagecpa
04-04-2015, 07:43 PM
Any guess as to what the card would bring in an actual auction? I had no idea a modern era card could bring even a fraction of this amount.

HOF Auto Rookies
04-04-2015, 07:47 PM
In all seriousness, most likely around $50k.

iowadoc77
04-04-2015, 08:06 PM
People buy the new shiny stuff on emotion when in reality there is literally no hopeful upside. I don't care what kind of career Bryant has, that is never a 90k card, but can't fault the seller of he can find a buyer

vthobby
04-04-2015, 08:17 PM
Funny part is, it is rarer than the T206 Wagner and pretty much 90% of the cards for sale on this site for that matter. It is a true 1 of 1. Pretty cool pull.

Mike

CMIZ5290
04-04-2015, 08:36 PM
Ugh...this is what sucks about the hobby today, overpriced crap! Don't get me wrong, it's a sweet card, but why on earth would anyone pay anything close to that??? Remember a few years back when Strasburg's cards were going for a ridiculous amount? How'd that work out?

+1 big time...

iowadoc77
04-04-2015, 08:53 PM
It is a 1/1, but with the ways cards are produced these days, there are so many 1/1s for every player, but this is likely the most important card of by far the most hyped player right now. Would have been so surreal to open that pack!

HOF Auto Rookies
04-04-2015, 08:54 PM
Would have been so surreal to open that pack!

Hard to argue against that

slidekellyslide
04-04-2015, 09:46 PM
Hmmmm...$90,000 on a card of a guy who could tweak his back in a game tomorrow and never be the same again. Even if the guy goes on to a hall of fame career the card will never sell again for $90,000.

alanu
04-05-2015, 12:19 AM
Reminds me a lot of the Strasburg cards before he had his first major league start.

shernan30
04-05-2015, 04:36 AM
That card was pulled at a local card shop my wife and I go to. We were just there Friday and heard a little about the card. There is going to be a featured article in Beckett about it and the shop released Monday.

bnorth
04-05-2015, 06:04 AM

+1 But the same thing can be said about the newly hyped cool must have T206 error version.

Joshchisox08
04-05-2015, 06:43 AM
I wouldn't pay $25 for that card.

iowadoc77
04-05-2015, 06:47 AM
That card is like the old maid. You want to get rid of it because it will likely never be as "valuable" as it is now and it will surely drag you down in the end! I hope he has a great career, but seriously, think of what else you could buy with 90k... Nice car, vacation, and still plenty left over for some great prewar cards!

thetruthisoutthere
04-05-2015, 07:16 AM
The person who eventually purchases that Kris Bryant card is not concerned about it being an investment.....

They simply want to own (for bragging rights) that "1/1" card.

More power to him.

j_cook
04-05-2015, 07:26 AM
The people saying that it will never sell again for 90k are spot on. I don't believe there are any hof rookie cards from the modern era that sell for anywhere near that. I thought the point of those was to get them cheap before they guy blows up, not spend 90k in hopes that one day it will be worth 3k!

bbcard1
04-05-2015, 07:33 AM
An aside, saw him in spring training and he does look awesome. Really dialed in, very fast bat and incredible strength.

mrvster
04-05-2015, 07:33 AM
with this "rarity" is it is intentionally made rare.....the vintage "become" rare:)

maybe 70 x rarer than wagz, but it was intentionally done so....

rats60
04-05-2015, 07:45 AM
Funny part is, it is rarer than the T206 Wagner and pretty much 90% of the cards for sale on this site for that matter. It is a true 1 of 1. Pretty cool pull.

Mike

Not really. It's the same card as hundreds more with a little bit different foil. It's like the guy on ebay with the sort of brown old mill. There are lots of t cards just as rare if you are into that sort of thing. The only difference is the Superfractor is a manufactured rarity.

baseballart
04-05-2015, 07:52 AM
Superfractor? I will wait to buy the SuperDuperFractor

jefferyepayne
04-05-2015, 07:52 AM
with this "rarity" is it is intentionally made rare.....the vintage "become" rare:)

maybe 70 x rarer than wagz, but it was intentionally done so....

While I don't collect modern cards, it would be good to have a balanced discussion about this.

1. There are plenty of examples of "manufactured rarities" (e.g. Lajoie) in vintage cards that sell for lots of money. I don't think we yet know what some 1/1 cards for modern HOFers will sell for in 50-75 years. I agree that purchasing them today is a HUGE risk and not one I'm willing to take but that doesn't mean some of these cards won't be as valuable or even more so than vintage HOFers are based upon the player and what they accomplish in their career. Just because something is a manufactured rarity doesn't necessarily mean it won't someday be really, really valuable.

2. I've never been a huge fan of the registry game but it's certainly the case that card registries are driving up the price of high grade / low Pop cards. Who's to say what someone will pay for modern rookie cards of HOFers someday when collectors are fighting with each other for #1 on the registry? We are seeing prices rise dramatically for high grade 50s - 80s HOF rookies and supply / demand says this may continue. Of course if the number of collectors falls dramatically in the coming decades (as some have predicted), this might not occur but if not, who knows?

3. Collectors are often attracted to the cards / players from their youth. There's no reason to believe that collectors who grow up in the 2000s won't be interested in collecting these sets unless (as discussed above), card collecting dies. I expect many of those that are into collecting in future decades will have an interest in these cards.

Again, I'm not into the 1/1 phenomenon but let's not dismiss it all so quickly as worthless. Not good investments today but that doesn't mean some of these won't be good investments in the future or that manufactured rarities won't be valuable.

jeff

vthobby
04-05-2015, 08:07 AM
I wouldn't pay $25 for that card.

No offense but I would not want you as my financial advisor! :)

Peace, Mike

P.S. Jeff P: Well said, my thoughts exactly.

vthobby
04-05-2015, 08:08 AM
Not really. It's the same card as hundreds more with a little bit different foil. It's like the guy on ebay with the sort of brown old mill. There are lots of t cards just as rare if you are into that sort of thing. The only difference is the Superfractor is a manufactured rarity.

You have no idea what a 1/1 is based on your loose retort. That is like saying that a 1 of 1 Ferrari is like a Ford Pinto because it has 4 similarly round wheels and glass windows.

Peace, Mike

jason.1969
04-05-2015, 08:15 AM
I will probably go for one of his many other extremely rare RCs, maybe one in the $10K range. I'm a little worried that no matter how awesome Bryant turns out, the market for six figure Bryant cards will be artificially depressed ten years from now by the buzz around some unproven phenom whose potential seems even more through the roof.

vthobby
04-05-2015, 08:37 AM
Jason,

I don't think anyone in their right mind thinks this card is worth the crazy asking price but can you imagine plunking down $3 or $4 for that pack and seeing that staring back at you!?!?!?!?! I wish some young kid had pulled that "College down payment" card! :D

Peace, Mike

PS I have a real world example and verified transaction with a recent 1/1. My friend pulled a 1/1 Odell Beckham Rookie Signed from a pack. He shopped it for all of 2 days on Ebay and other message boards. He traded the card with a very well known wholesaler for approx $6000 in wax product which he pretty much instantly turned around in his card shop. Not bad for a $100 box of cards! my hunch is that 1/1 Kris Bryant would fall in this range also.

rats60
04-05-2015, 10:32 AM
You have no idea what a 1/1 is based on your loose retort. That is like saying that a 1 of 1 Ferrari is like a Ford Pinto because it has 4 similarly round wheels and glass windows.

Peace, Mike

No, it's like buying a 1/1 Pinto for the same price as a Ferrari and reasoning that it should be worth as much because it's unique. It's still a crappy Pinto under the hood. 1/1 Michael Jordans don't sell for 90k. This is a 15-25k card that will most likely be worth 10-20% of that in a few years. What do you think that Strasburg Superfractor is worth?

HOF Auto Rookies
04-05-2015, 10:39 AM

Hasn't been pulled yet, so we still have a shot!

vthobby
04-05-2015, 11:38 AM
No, you don't have a clue. It's like buying a 1/1 Pinto for the same price as a Ferrari and reasoning that it should be worth as much because it's unique. It's still a crappy Pinto under the hood. 1/1 Michael Jordans don't sell for 90k. This is a 15-25k card that will most likely be worth 10-20% of that in a few years. What do you think that Strasburg Superfractor is worth?

You should go back to school and quit worrying about 1 of 1s. They are obviously making you crazy. In you previous post you say and I quote "It's the same card as hundreds more with a little bit different foil." and then you start talking 15-25K for a card that you just said is the same as hundreds of others with a little different foil?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?
You also need to re-enroll in Debating 101 and Econ 101.

Mike

PS This is my LAST post on this subject.

rats60
04-05-2015, 11:51 AM
[QUOTE=vtgmsc;1398434]You should go back to school and quit worrying about 1 of 1s. They are obviously making you crazy.

For the money this card would sell for, you are better off putting that money in a proven Hofer Ruth, Gehrig, Cobb, Wagner, etc or a 52 Topps Mantle. Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it. This hobby's recent history is filled with Kris Bryants, players who are hyped before their rookie season and fail to live up to the hype. Not a single one has lived up to the hype in the last 20+ years.

bnorth
04-05-2015, 12:12 PM

This is what a SuperDuperRefractor looks like. It is a Super Refractor with a game used insert.LOL

OldEnglishD
04-06-2015, 06:23 AM
I have a 2014 Panini Golden Age Black Border Parallel Jackie Gleason card that is 1/1. Maybe I'll put it up on the Bay for say, oh, $19,999.00. :p

Or trade it for a Pinto. Or the emblem off a Pinto. Or a Pinto magazine ad. Or a can of Pinto beans.

Sorry, I'm just giddy about going to Opening Day in Detroit. It's quite the local holiday.

rjackson44
04-06-2015, 09:47 AM
whos kris Bryant ,,,kobes brother

chipperhank44
04-06-2015, 12:02 PM
whos kris Bryant ,,,kobes brother

He is probably the next Alex Gordon. If he reaches his potential he might even be the next Evan Longoria. But here's the problem......

The last Evan Longoria Bowman Chrome Blue Refractor Auto RC graded 9.5 sold for $450

The last Kris Bryant Bowman Chrome Blue Refractor Auto RC graded 9.5 sold for $1550

So logic tells me:

If Kris Bryant reaches his ceiling, his cards will probably lose 70% of their value in the next 5-10 years. And that's my BEST CASE scenario.

iowadoc77
04-06-2015, 12:18 PM
Trey,
I think you hit it exactly. No upside. And no one is buying a card like this as just a card for a collection. I collected modern and still do a little with my kids, but it all does the same thing, peaks highish and then dives as the next best thing shows up. sure there are some anomalies, but few and far between

Koufax32fan
04-06-2015, 07:26 PM
Cards like this are the real evidence that "value" is what a willing seller and willing buyer agree to as value. As a Cubs fan, I hope Bryant goes on to a HOF career and his cards are very valuable (even if the only ones I ever own are the Topps Heritage cards); just like Ernie Banks cards (see the 14 on the Cubs' uniforms this year). But, I live in St. Louis and the Cardinals' uniforms have OT on them this year, which just goes to show that anything can happen with young players. It doesn't matter what happens in the future, Wagner, Cobb, Mathewson, Ruth, Ott, Foxx, Dimaggio, Williams, Koufax, Mantle, Musial, etc. will still be the greats of the game.

Leon
04-07-2015, 06:45 AM
Cards like this are the real evidence that "value" is what a willing seller and willing buyer agree to as value. As a Cubs fan, I hope Bryant goes on to a HOF career and his cards are very valuable (even if the only ones I ever own are the Topps Heritage cards); just like Ernie Banks cards (see the 14 on the Cubs' uniforms this year). But, I live in St. Louis and the Cardinals' uniforms have OT on them this year, which just goes to show that anything can happen with young players. It doesn't matter what happens in the future, Wagner, Cobb, Mathewson, Ruth, Ott, Foxx, Dimaggio, Williams, Koufax, Mantle, Musial, etc. will still be the greats of the game.

There are vintage greats and other newer greats too. It's hard to get past some of the newer athletes issues though. But there are still some great ones... that don't get into trouble today. To many of us that collected Topps sets as kids, the new collecting is much more akin to gambling than what we did. We had cards in our spokes, collected our favorite players and teams and the bubblegum smell WAS in the air. I doubt a lot of the younger generation even knows what a clothespin is :).

ullmandds
04-07-2015, 07:06 AM
Modern cards have a very high glycemic index...like a can of soda(quick rush...then crash hard)whereas vintage is more like fruit...or whole grains...much healthier sustained levels over time!

Grimster
04-07-2015, 08:58 AM
Pretty card for sure, but just not my cup of tea.

rdixon1208
04-07-2015, 09:41 AM
I enjoy collecting modern cards just about as much as I do pre-war; I just don't spend near the same amount of money on them. But you really don't have to. I've found some very active sites where people trade modern cards. So I buy a box now and then, keep the ones I want, and trade as many of the others as I can. Just like here I've made some friends along the way. Believe it or not there are a lot of modern collectors who couldn't care less about long term value. They collect there favorite team/player/set or whatever just for fun and because they love baseball and cards.