PDA

View Full Version : Why Baseball??

SmokyBurgess
03-31-2015, 07:15 AM
Why do we love the sport of baseball?

Despite work stoppages, steroids, too many teams, too long a season, inter-league play, too high salaries, and the designated hitter...we still love it. Why?

For me, it's the sound of the crack of the bat that laces a ball inches fair down the line. The sound of a Smoltz fastball into the Javier Lopez mitt. POP. Who could hit something that sounded that fast? You can watch every pitch on the edge of your couch or take a snooze during the top of the 4th....and both are perfectly acceptable.

Why does baseball still matter to us??

bnorth
03-31-2015, 07:32 AM
Great question. I am probably the strangest collector out there. I only watched baseball for a very short time. I started watching around 1986 when my brother got me interested in baseball and cards. Wade Boggs instantly became my favorite player and then I added Roger Clemens as a player I liked to watch. During their playing careers I went to 100's of games and watched baseball on tv all the time. Since both retired I have only watched 1 game, Jeters last game at Yankee Stadium. I have 0 interest in the game now.

As far as collecting I collect error and oddball cards from the period I watched games and the awesome T210 set. I also just made a deal to get the 59 Fleer Ted Williams set and it is the only set besides the T210 set I have any interest in owning.

I like the hobby now for how great most of the people are. I don't know if I want to call people I have never met in real life friends but I email with several people on a regular basis about nonbaseball stuff that I met from selling, trading, or buying cards from.

rats60
03-31-2015, 10:08 AM
There are several reasons. First it is the summer sport. When kids are out of school during the summer, they play baseball, watch games either live or on TV and collect baseball cards.When I was growing up, you just had one set per year released in series thru summer and that was what we collected.

Next, I think it is the easiest sport to play from a young age. The ball is small and easy to throw from a young age. Footballs and basketballs are much more difficult for young kids to handle. So, from an early age Baseball is the game kids love to play.

Finally, there is the history. The first pro team in 1869. The first pro leagues in the 1870s, where as the NFL started in the 1920s and NBA in the 1940s. Card wise they didn't have their own sets until 1948 while Baseball has Old Judges, T206s and Goudeys.

vintagetoppsguy
03-31-2015, 10:19 AM
it's the sound of the crack of the bat

This is it for me. I love the sound of the crack of the bat. There's just something about a MLB game and the crack of the bat that's different from other levels of baseball and the ding of a (metal) bat.

the 'stache
04-01-2015, 07:45 AM
The Sultan of Swat, The Commerce Comet, The Fordham Flash, The Flying Dutchman, The Ignitor, The Ryan Express, Shoeless Joe, Three finger, Joey Bats, The Wizard of Oz, The Count of Montefusco, Bulldog, Goose, Little Napoleon, The Georgia Peach, The Bird, The Cuban Comet, The Big Train, Spaceman, Arriba, Mullet, Say Hey Kid, Cocky, Big Papi, The Christian Gentleman, The Human Vacuum Cleaner, Pudge, The Splendid Splinter, Pops, Cha Cha, Wahoo, Yaz, The Crime Dog, Big Klu, Little Louie, Yogi, Kung Fu Panda, King Felix, Charlie Hustle, The Penguin, Oil Can, Ducky, Captain Hook, Lefty, Leo the Lip, Dr. K, The Yankee Clipper, The Big Hurt, Simba, Hammerin' Hank, The Big Unit, The Iron Horse, The Old Perfessor, The Silver Fox, The Grey Eagle, Smokey, Stan the Man, Sweet Lou, Rajah, Mr. Cub, The Kid.

How can you not be romantic about baseball?

frankbmd
04-01-2015, 08:04 AM
The Sultan of Swat, The Commerce Comet, The Fordham Flash, The Flying Dutchman, The Ignitor, The Ryan Express, Shoeless Joe, Three finger, Joey Bats, The Wizard of Oz, The Count of Montefusco, Bulldog, Goose, Little Napoleon, The Georgia Peach, The Bird, The Cuban Comet, The Big Train, Spaceman, Arriba, Mullet, Say Hey Kid, Cocky, Big Papi, The Christian Gentleman, The Human Vacuum Cleaner, Pudge, The Splendid Splinter, Pops, Cha Cha, Wahoo, Yaz, The Crime Dog, Big Klu, Little Louie, Yogi, Kung Fu Panda, King Felix, Charlie Hustle, The Penguin, Oil Can, Ducky, Captain Hook, Lefty, Leo the Lip, Dr. K, The Yankee Clipper, The Big Hurt, Simba, Hammerin' Hank, The Big Unit, The Iron Horse, The Old Perfessor, The Silver Fox, The Grey Eagle, Smokey, Stan the Man, Sweet Lou, Rajah, Mr. Cub, The Kid.

How can you not be romantic about baseball?

The Blade???

clydepepper
04-01-2015, 03:01 PM
I remember the first game I ever saw, the first game I ever pitched, and the last game I ever played.

I remember when and where I first heard what follows, but, years later, I still do not know who the author is...but that does not seem to matter.

Never before and never since has my love and deep, deep appreciation for the game been so accurately and completely stated:

It is played everywhere…

In parks, in playgrounds, and prison yards…

In back alleys and farmers’ fields…

By small children and old men…

Raw amateurs and millionaire professionals.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

It is a leisurely game

That demands blinding speed.

The only game in which the defense has the ball.

It follows the seasons…

Beginning each year with the fond expectancy of springtime…

And ending with the hard facts of autumn.

It is a haunted game…

In which every player is measured against the ghosts of all who have gone before.

Most of all…

It is about time and timelessness…

Speed and grace…

Failure and loss…

Imperishable hope

And

Coming home.

=================================================

Followed by what I have always assumed where the last two words of Our National Anthem....

PLAY BALL!

Econteachert205
04-01-2015, 03:39 PM
I love baseball because you can look like Dustin pedroia and be a great pro.

Griffins
04-01-2015, 05:22 PM
Terence Mann: Ray, people will come Ray. They'll come to Iowa for reasons they can't even fathom. They'll turn up your driveway not knowing for sure why they're doing it. They'll arrive at your door as innocent as children, longing for the past. Of course, we won't mind if you look around, you'll say. It's only $20 per person. They'll pass over the money without even thinking about it: for it is money they have and peace they lack. And they'll walk out to the bleachers; sit in shirtsleeves on a perfect afternoon. They'll find they have reserved seats somewhere along one of the baselines, where they sat when they were children and cheered their heroes. And they'll watch the game and it'll be as if they dipped themselves in magic waters. The memories will be so thick they'll have to brush them away from their faces. People will come Ray. The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time. This field, this game: it's a part of our past, Ray. It reminds of us of all that once was good and it could be again. Oh... people will come Ray. People will most definitely come.

clydepepper
04-01-2015, 05:52 PM
I love baseball because you can look like Dustin pedroia and be a great pro.

That's Pedroia with a capital 'P' - he's earned that!

clydepepper
04-01-2015, 05:56 PM
Somewhere is my ever-increasing random access-memory is a quote along these lines,

"For years, I tried to figure out my best grip on the baseball, when, all along, it was the other way around- Baseball had a grip on me."
-
-
-
Then there was Casey Stengel saying,

'Now, everyone line up alphabetically, according to your height."
-
-

SmokyBurgess
04-02-2015, 07:33 AM
Somewhere is my ever-increasing random access-memory is a quote along these lines,

"For years, I tried to figure out my best grip on the baseball, when, all along, it was the other way around- Baseball had a grip on me."
-
-
-
Then there was Casey Stengel saying,

'Now, everyone line up alphabetically, according to your height."
-
-

I remember the "grip" comments from Ball Four (Bouton)....I believe I'm right on this.

rjackson44
04-02-2015, 10:04 AM
go Oakland as

t206blogcom
04-06-2015, 10:38 AM

Don't forget Will the Thrill!

billyb
04-06-2015, 02:16 PM
More then any other sport, I have a tendency to think about the past as the current game goes on. Maybe it is the lull between pitches, but it gives me time to compare players of the past, with the current rosters.
The many new players who get their chance in the bigs, and to see if they measure up. I have a tendency to keep an eye on those players, and pull for them. Right now, I am watching the Tigers, and this new kid, J.D. Martinez is one such player, so I will use him as an example.
I pull for this kid, and see potential. What he did last year was great, for a first year player who one team gave up on, and this kid was given a second chance and did not waste it. Can he do it again?
Things like this is what makes baseball to me.
You can still feel the games of the past, which has pretty much stayed the same all these years. The one on one battle between the Pitcher and Hitter. Then all of a sudden comes the crack of the bat. And you are back in Mudville, Casey has just made contact, this time, no strike out. The crowd is on their feet, back goes the center fielder, at the fence he leaps, I now find myself on my feet, did he catch it or not?
In that moment, time is frozen, and the two seconds for the announcer to make the call seems forever. This kid, this new Casey, J.D. Martinez has just put it out. Yessss!. with my fist pumping. Good for the kid. Good for Mudville.
This is what I like.

mets41
04-06-2015, 05:15 PM
Sparky Anderson agreed with me. In his hof induction speech, he said, "baseball is a great game and if you don't like it, GET OUT"

SmokyBurgess
04-07-2015, 07:19 AM
More then any other sport, I have a tendency to think about the past as the current game goes on. Maybe it is the lull between pitches, but it gives me time to compare players of the past, with the current rosters.
The many new players who get their chance in the bigs, and to see if they measure up. I have a tendency to keep an eye on those players, and pull for them. Right now, I am watching the Tigers, and this new kid, J.D. Martinez is one such player, so I will use him as an example.
I pull for this kid, and see potential. What he did last year was great, for a first year player who one team gave up on, and this kid was given a second chance and did not waste it. Can he do it again?
Things like this is what makes baseball to me.
You can still feel the games of the past, which has pretty much stayed the same all these years. The one on one battle between the Pitcher and Hitter. Then all of a sudden comes the crack of the bat. And you are back in Mudville, Casey has just made contact, this time, no strike out. The crowd is on their feet, back goes the center fielder, at the fence he leaps, I now find myself on my feet, did he catch it or not?
In that moment, time is frozen, and the two seconds for the announcer to make the call seems forever. This kid, this new Casey, J.D. Martinez has just put it out. Yessss!. with my fist pumping. Good for the kid. Good for Mudville.
This is what I like.

+1 Right on comments