PDA

View Full Version : Polar Bears missing "I E"

Bpm0014
03-30-2015, 06:11 PM
Is this something new? Newly discovered? I've never heard of this before until last week....

steve B
03-30-2015, 06:45 PM
Whenever someone discovers something there are two basic paths to follow.
The first is to say "hey look at this! Isn't it cool!?" The second is to keep quiet, look for more and wait to see if someone else finds it.

In the case of the PBs it appears to have been the latter choice by a few people.

I've taken both paths myself, for various reasons. The stamp I discovered I wrote an article about figuring only a couple other crazy people would care. Oddly it was more than a few, probably because it proved a piece of information published in 1902 that experts were beginning to consider incorrect. And showed something that had never been illustrated by more than a partial sketch and hadn't even been described since 1932. And it's the basis for something being added to a major catalog.
It would probably do fairly well at auction if I wanted to sell it. Part of deciding not to keep it secret is that the odds of finding another are not good at all. Only 2400 were printed, and would have to be equally off center to mine or worse for the plate number to show. Figure in a low survival rate and there won't be many more out there if any.
All in all a very enjoyable experience.

I have a couple cards I've been sitting on, with no luck so far. One is potentially really good, good enough to be worth sitting on it for a while. but I'd need to see another and I change my opinion on it at times. The others are pretty cheap and I just haven't bothered even scanning them, but someday. Those I'm also pretty sure will be met with a huge collective yawn.

Steve B

swarmee
03-30-2015, 07:03 PM
According to the other thread "Have we all gone mad" or somesuch title, it has been known about since 2004-ish and a few variation collectors were sitting on them. This is the first time (with the SGC-graded card on eBay going for $1000) that it spilled into the mainstream.

swarmee
03-30-2015, 07:04 PM
http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=203584

Original thread is linked inside.