PDA

View Full Version : Soaking ?

Joshchisox08
03-27-2015, 09:57 AM
Can someone kindly explain to me a soaking process ? How and why it is done ? Does it ruin the value ? Is it undetectable by grading companies ? Is it even ethical ?

I was curious as I've seen a couple of times on this site that a t206 would be a good candidate for soaking which I presume would get glued paper off of the card no ? Yes ?

Stonepony
03-27-2015, 10:06 AM
Josh this is a pretty frequent topic on this site. If you use the "search" feature you will find many threads ( including recent ones) that will answer all of your questions without having to wait for responses. There are many opinions and excellent advice and direction on those threads. Good luck!

trdcrdkid
03-27-2015, 10:41 AM
#7 in this thread was my contribution to the topic:

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=202980

Joshchisox08
03-27-2015, 11:14 AM
Dave you appear to have that down to a science !

glchen
03-27-2015, 11:17 AM
Out of curiosity, can you soak a newspaper clippings that are glued onto card stock such as a notebook? Or will the newspaper just melt away when you put it in water? I saw this recent listing for Rinkeydink Stamps: Link (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-Rinkeydink-Stamps-Babe-Ruth-Rogers-Hornsby-Tris-Speaker-Baseball-Cards-/311322033450). However, Rinkeydink stamps are basically just newspaper clippings. I would have only put in a very low bid for this auction since I thought it'd be tough to remove the stamps from the notebook, other than just clipping the stamps off the notebook and keeping it glued on.

drcy
03-27-2015, 11:53 AM
Old newspaper stock is brittle and thin. Much less chance it would work out well. Though I've never tried it.

irishdenny
03-29-2015, 01:36 AM
I've had some success Periodically Spraying them with water & then Letting Gravity do it's work(Placing them upside down til the Article fell off)

What I mean by "Periodically"... Just keep repeating the process til the Article Falls Off! Really depends on what kind of glue & how heavy it was applied...
Little tugs along the way also might help!?

Good Luck & let us know how Ya make out...