PDA

View Full Version : New Pinback Column

springpin
03-25-2015, 07:44 PM
I just posted another column in my blog
baseballpinbackbuttons.wordpress.com

This was a tough one to write, because it is about World Series pinbacks that don't exist. Writing about the absence of something is more difficult than writing about the presence of something. I hope you get some value from it.

CobbvLajoie1910
03-28-2015, 07:08 PM
DrM.....as has been articulated in previous threads, we all sincerely thank you for sharing your scholarship.

'Younger' (I'll use that word loosely in my case) collectors will draw on your research heavily as we dive deeper in our hobby.

When it comes to pinbacks, I'm a lost cause -- and your work just fuels the fire to want to pursue issues I had previously a lukewarm desire to collect.

Thank you for much your efforts...

springpin
03-28-2015, 08:50 PM
Aaron,

Thank you for your gracious words. I am very gratified that my writing about pinbacks adds to the fun of collecting them. Pinback collectors need to have a high tolerance for ambiguity, because many seemingly defy explanation. I get a rush when I finally unravel one of their many mysteries. At least we don't have to worry about whether or not a pinback is game-used, trimmed, a secretarial, or a Type II.

Paul

ooo-ribay
03-29-2015, 11:01 AM
At least we don't have to worry about whether or not a pinback is game-used, trimmed, a secretarial, or a Type II.

Agree 100%! One reason cards and autographs don't appeal to me. I dig the ephemera that came out of baseball stadiums.

MK
03-29-2015, 11:45 AM
I can remember vividly going to major league games in the 1960s with my father. Wrigley Field, Crosley Field, Busch Stadium, Comiskey Park, Tiger Stadium. I'm not sure which I looked forward too more, seeing all the vendors and getting to pick one souvenir, or the game itself. Oh how difficult it was to pick one item. Those were the days.

perezfan
03-29-2015, 06:16 PM
That's just how I recall it with my Dad as well...

Those magnificent pins, pennants, bobble heads, etc. we're a tremendous (but very welcome) distraction. Much better than the souvenirs they have today :o