PDA

View Full Version : Soaking a 1953 Bowman color?

deltaarnet
03-25-2015, 10:28 AM
I have a Musial with tape residue. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

brewing
03-25-2015, 01:29 PM
You can soak it, but you'll still have tape residue. If it's really nice other than residue, I recommend asking dick Trowle, for assistance.
I'll also add some collectors consider removing anything as unethical.

KCRfan1
03-25-2015, 09:27 PM
You can soak it, but you'll still have tape residue. If it's really nice other than residue, I recommend asking dick Trowle, for assistance.
I'll also add some collectors consider removing anything as unethical.

+1 Dick Trowle " Gone With the Stain " is someone I would recommend. You can find him through a google search or searching archives on Net54.

Bestdj777
03-25-2015, 09:40 PM
Don't want to derail the thread, but any idea what he charges?

mrmopar
03-25-2015, 09:56 PM
http://www.gonewiththestain.com/price-list.html

1963Topps Set
03-26-2015, 05:39 AM
Looks like the cards are not the only things being soaked.

obctom
03-26-2015, 09:51 AM
Wow, those prices are - wow.

My free advice for removing gum stains works well: lightly rubbing the gum stain on the front of the card with an old pair of pantyhose. Just make sure your wife/girlfriend/significant other isn't wearing them at the time :-)

Tom

1963Topps Set
03-26-2015, 04:21 PM
Wow, those prices are - wow.

My free advice for removing gum stains works well: lightly rubbing the gum stain on the front of the card with an old pair of pantyhose. Just make sure your wife/girlfriend/significant other isn't wearing them at the time :-)

Tom

Wouldn't that be a lot more fun?

Bestdj777
03-26-2015, 08:12 PM
Thanks Curt! Last time I looked, I couldn't find it.

JollyElm
03-27-2015, 12:29 AM
It is not a gum stain, he said it's tape residue. Huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge difference.

Jayworld
04-08-2015, 01:17 PM
I remember in the first issue of the Sports Americana Baseball Card Price Guide in 1979 there was a short article in the front that dealt with removing tape from a 1951 Bowman set; from the obvious peeling off (did not work, of course) to finally soaking the cards in "Toluene" solution, of which the results were hit or miss; mostly hit. Toluene is a chemical found in paint thinners, etc. Not sure I would recommend, as the "miss" results in the article back then were too much soaking removes the color of the card, etc., but it but it is a good read if you have a copy of the 1979 issue.

Also, many collectors on the board, while being okay with soaking cards in water to remove dirt, tobacco stains, etc. (see soaking threads within the forum) probably would not endorse soaking cards in chemicals (and a few in the minority deem water to be a "chemical" as well).