PDA

View Full Version : John Staples ?

K-Nole
03-23-2015, 01:58 PM
While me and Zack build sets, I used him a couple times and all was great.

Then, i asked him about some cards we needed, i didnt hear anything from him for a week, then he sends me a response with what he had, but by that time, I had already bought them from somebody else.

So this weekend, I sent him a want list and he send me this...

Friday

3/20, 12:26pm
Show Images

What can you do for me?....

John Staples
I have all or most of them. I will let you know this evening if that's okay....
3/20,

3/22, 12:06am
Show ImagesJohn Staples
Okay, I have 555, 621, 659, 688, 693, 699, 702, 705, 711, 714 and they are all VG-EX or better and the group included the very toughest to get card in the set, #702 which normally sells for well over high beckett in any grade. The high beckett is $109 and I'd take just $40 shipped on the entire group. The only card I don't have is Rose. My paypal is n2corky@aol.com and thanks for thinking of me.....big john....Today

12:07pm
Show ImagesJohn Staples
I never received a response for filling this request from you. Thanks, as I always enjoy filling your wantlists....big john....

12:23pm
Wesley White
I went to a show in Wichita and got most of these.....

2:23pm
John Staples
That's the second time you've done that to me and I got a complaint from someone else that said you did the same thing, asking to pull items and then don't bother to answer back and bought them somewhere else.....
2:49pmExpand
John Staples
because you've done that to me before, and did it to Tom Frost and others, I posted your name on the admins page and everyone will be booting you from their page. I think you just got booted from "Vintage Sports Cards & Memorabilia Pre 1980", with more to come.....

Telling me he has booted me from facebook pages cause i screwed him and didnt buy the cards.

Am I in the wrong here? If so tell me.
I ask about cards, he doesnt get back to me for days and days, then i buy from somebody else, then i am the ass??

j_cook
03-23-2015, 03:05 PM
You said you went to a show and 'got most of these'... is there a reason you didn't still want to purchase the few you didn't get at the show? As for his response, it seemed a bit harsh. No longer doing business with you is one thing, but i think getting you booted from groups is over the top.

K-Nole
03-23-2015, 03:18 PM
Yea, because I did get "most" at the show, in fact, all but one, (Darrell Evans Rookie) and I did get that one sunday as well, thru another board member.
he had been rude to me earlier, and so when the board member said he had it, I took the board members deal.

The earlier rude came when I was buying 67 philadelphia from him and he said he had a EX Meridith and also a really bad Meridith that if I bought the EX, he would throw the bad one in for free.
he sent both, then sent me a PM asking me to send the bad one back?????
So I spent $2.50 sending back a 50 cent card that he said I could have!!

steve B
03-23-2015, 09:05 PM
I wouldn't exactly call a day and a half "days and days" of waiting.

Friday

Show Images

What can you do for me?....

John Staples
I have all or most of them. I will let you know this evening if that's okay....
3/20,

3/22, 12:06am
Show ImagesJohn Staples
Okay, I have 555, 621, 659, 688, 693, 699, 702, 705, 711, 714 and they are all VG-EX or better and the group included the very toughest to get card in the set, #702 which normally sells for well over high beckett in any grade. The high beckett is $109 and I'd take just $40 shipped on the entire group. The only card I don't have is Rose. My paypal is n2corky@aol.com and thanks for thinking of me.....big john....Today

12:07pm
Show ImagesJohn Staples
I never received a response for filling this request from you. Thanks, as I always enjoy filling your wantlists....big john....

So you email Friday around noon. Probably while he's packing for a show. And he replies just after midnight Saturday (Technically Sunday since it's just after midnight) probably just after he's gotten back from the show, finished unloading had a bite to eat and a bit of relaxing. That he replied then is to me pretty good service. And he follows up about 12 hours later.

I'd say the impatience is a bit over the top, and his response is more than a bit over the top. I'd probably just move you quietly to the permanent "sorry I don't have those" list.

Sadly this is an attitude becoming more common as the younger people who are used to instant service from places like Amazon get into hobbies.
For someone who recalls when it was maybe 4-5 shows a year and a lot of looking through commons boxes to find what you needed, so putting together a set might take a couple years maybe more if you were picky. Expecting someone to drop everything and put together a smallish order on what's probably a show day -or a busy day if he has a shop - just seems unreasonable. (Heck, with shows every weekend and a dealer on every corner it took 2 years to find a 1988 Topps Canseco to finish the set! Booked a dollar, but nobody had one where it could be easily found. )

When I was doing Ebay I'd often wait several hours to answer dumb questions so I could answer them politely.

"shipping is 1.50 in the US, International at cost"
Q How much to ship to New Hampshire?:confused: :eek: :confused:

Paid Monday morning. Buyer on the opposite coast.
Q Monday 1pm "why don't I have my cards yet" :confused: :confused: :confused:

Those both waited around 12 hours for an answer.

Steve B

mettoy66
03-24-2015, 08:35 AM
-

Eric72
03-24-2015, 11:03 AM
Sadly this is an attitude becoming more common as the younger people who are used to instant service from places like Amazon get into hobbies.

Paid Monday morning. Buyer on the opposite coast.
Q Monday 1pm "why don't I have my cards yet" :confused: :confused: :confused:

Wow. That buyer was just a wee bit demanding. :eek:

Did he think the cards were being delivered by one of those Amazon drone things?

AustinMike
03-24-2015, 12:23 PM
I wouldn't exactly call a day and a half "days and days" of waiting.

So you email Friday around noon. Probably while he's packing for a show. And he replies just after midnight Saturday (Technically Sunday since it's just after midnight) probably just after he's gotten back from the show, finished unloading had a bite to eat and a bit of relaxing. That he replied then is to me pretty good service. And he follows up about 12 hours later.

I'd say the impatience is a bit over the top, and his response is more than a bit over the top. I'd probably just move you quietly to the permanent "sorry I don't have those" list.

Steve B

I agree with most of what you've written, with a few exceptions. It appears the seller responded on Friday saying that he'd let the OP know that evening what he had (I'm not 100% sure about this due to poor editing of the emails by the OP). He did not get back to the OP. The OP then went to a card show and picked up the cards he needed. I see no foul in that. The seller does respond with the list he has shortly after midnight on Sunday. After 12 hours (during most of which the OP is probably sleeping), the seller "impatiently" says he hasn't gotten a response. At this point, I totally agree with you, "his (the seller's) response is more than a bit over the top. I'd probably just move you quietly to the permanent "sorry I don't have those" list." I don't blame the OP at all. He had a choice at the show. He could either get the cards he needed right then and there or he could wait to hear back from the seller, who said he would respond the previous evening but did not, and hope he has the cards. I think I'd probably take the sure thing also.

bigjohn
07-25-2015, 02:24 AM
This is a hobby where TRUTH is king and TRUST is most important. In this hobby, without truth we have no standard for collectors to work with one another. I will be posting my comments that pertain to Wesley White's lies. I also have pictures of the private message we had and if I can figure out how to post them, I'd be happy to. The following is where I offered items for sale and if you look, I clearly showed that I have two different Don Meredith cards FOR SALE, one for $8 and the other for $3.

John Staples (7/27/14 @ 5:44 AM)
Okay, I have 74 out of the 82 numbers on your list. I do NOT have #'s 23, 28, 29, 35, 79, 80, 123, 133. I have a group of 34 @ 40 cents each ($13.60). I have a group of 19 @ 60 cents each ($11.40). I have a star group that includes Jurgensen, Mudd RC, Brodie, Brown, Jones, Wood, Gregg, Packers Team, Renfro, Berry and I'd take $20 for this group. All the rest of the stars list for $20 to $50 each and I will give individual prices on these. Bob Lilly $4, Bob Hayes $5, Tommy Nobis RC $6, LeeRoy Jordan RC $6, Jackie Smith RC $6, Unmarked Checklist #1 $6, Dave Wilcox RC $6, nice looking Don Meredith for $8 or I have an awful one for only $3 (he lists for $25), Dan Reeves RC $8 (lists $30), super nice Leroy Kelly RC (lists $40) sell it for $15, Bart Star (lists for $50) sell it for $15. Just let me know what all you are taking and add $3 shipping to your order. If you take everything, I'd knock it down to just $125 with shipping, and I'd give you the better of the two Don Meredith cards. My paypal is n2corky@aol.com.....thanks....big john

bigjohn
07-25-2015, 02:28 AM
Here below is my next message to him and I clearly explained to him that I ACCIDENTLY sent both Don Meredith cards when I mailed his order. So I clearly informed him that they were both in the package coming to his mailbox.

John Staples (8/15/14 @ 5:46 PM)
9400110200830368441091 and I accidently sent you both of the Don Meredith's, as I was rushing to get the order out after I finally figured out all my glitches trying to lad my new postal printer to my new computer.

bigjohn
07-25-2015, 02:32 AM
Here is my next message where I bring up where he failed to mail back that Don Meredith card that I clearly told him I accidentally mailed to him. I continuously mention it to him and he totally ignores my request of asking him to mail it back. Never ever on any messages does he say he was mailing back or indeed mailed it back.

John Staples (11/5/15 @ 2:28 PM)
as you can see, guys are not willing to help our with wantlists, so I am not sure why you didn't contact me directly, unless it's because you failed to mail me back that duplicate Don Meredith card I sent you, and you said you would mail back?

bigjohn
07-25-2015, 02:40 AM
The following are our back and forth, where I bring it up to him that I've gotten complaints from other collectors that say Wesley White has them pull orders for him and they have told me that he stiffs them from completing their deals. I have all the info on my facebook trading card page and other collectors were not happy, and I named a guy name Tom Frost who was the most recent one that complained about Wesley. I bring it up in the following messages, and he did admit to stiffing me from completing a deal on a 1966 Philladelphia Sayers Rookie card that I kept holding for him.

John Staples (3/23/15 @ 2:23 PM)
That's the second time you've done that to me and I got a complaint from someone else that said you did the same thing, asking to pull items and then don't bother to answer back and bought them somewhere else.

John Staples (3/23/15 @ 12:49 PM)
because you've done that to me before, and did it to Tom Frost and others, I posted your name on the admins page and everyone will be booting you from their page. I think you just got booted from "Vintage Sports Cards & Memorabilia Pre 1980", with more to come.

Wesley White (3/23/15 @ 1:19 PM)
The first time was the Sayers Rookie, and that was it, just one card.

bigjohn
07-25-2015, 02:48 AM
Here is our last exchanges and you can see that I mention that he never sent it back after I told him about my mistake. So his excuse in this exchange that I sent it to him so he's implying it's his. And then I remind him that I asked twice for it and he said he would mail it back, but obviously didn't. Then his last exchange was to make an excuse that it was a 75 cent card, but it was actually one that I offered for $3 but he elected to buy the $8 one. So it's obvious that his new excuse is that he donate's cards for kids, but he never ever denies he owes me my card back and he never ever says he sent it.

John Staples (3/24/15 @ 9:55 AM)
You never stole anything, just like when I sent you two of the same Meredith cards and you said you would mail one back and never did.

Wesley White (3/24/15 @ 9:59 AM)
Yea, you SENT it to me. How is it sealing when you sent it to me???

John Staples (3/24/15 @ 9:59 AM)
and I asked you twice to send it back and you said you would

Wesley White (3/24/15 @ 10:04 AM)
Really??? It was a 75 cent card in the shape it's in.
I GIVE AWAY $25 - $50 worth of cards to kids every couple of months.

bigjohn
07-25-2015, 02:58 AM
This Wesley White character goes by K-Nole on here and here is a quote he made on this thread.

Wesley (K-Nole) said "The earlier rude came when I was buying 67 philadelphia from him and he said he had a EX Meridith and also a really bad Meridith that if I bought the EX, he would throw the bad one in for free.
he sent both, then sent me a PM asking me to send the bad one back?????
So I spent $2.50 sending back a 50 cent card that he said I could have!!"

You guys have seen my exchanges and never did I say I'd throw the bad one in for free. Wesley totally lied to you guys about this exchange. Please someone ask him to prove that that statement was said, because there is no statement like that and I have provided the true statements. Like I said, I have screen shots of all those exchanges between us to prove he is lying. He admits that I did indeed ask for the bad one back, because he knows I told him I made a mistake and kindly asked for it back. Now he claims spending $2.50 to send it back, as single cards and you all know this is a lie because our very last exchange is where he never said anything about sending it, and if he did spend $2.50, then we all know he would have delivery confirmation, but since it's a lie, it's impossible for him to provide that. He paid me through paypal and he never ever needed my mailing address and there is nowhere where he asked for it to mail anything, I am the only one who mailed to the other person. I hope I provided the details for anyone who cares to see that this person is not a truthful person, and our hobby has no room for dishonesty. I've been buying and selling sports cards since 1971, did my first show in 1974. I owned 6 total stores from in the years between 1978 and 1996 and totally sold out and retired in 1997. I moved to Phoenix and was retired from 1997 to 2015. Earlier this year I heard a shop owner was dying of cancer and my wife and I decided to buy him out so we could save his store from closing. We moved it a couple doors down in a bigger location and I have been back in business since February this year. I would put my store up against any Arizona store. If you are in my area, I'd feel privilaged to have anyone stop by. Thanks for this opportunity to clear my name in this matter.

basesareempty
07-25-2015, 05:13 AM
I am a member on several Facebook groups that John is the Admin and I can 100% vouch for John's honesty and willingness to help fellow collectors. His reputation is beyond question. I do not know this Wesley White but the side of the story he is trying to portray does not seem like the person in John Staples I know.

A little advise to avoid future situations like this, if you know you will be going to a card show in a few days where there is a good probability that you will find cards on your wantlist, do not send said wantlist to mail order dealers until after the show. Then you will not be wasting your or his time.

K-Nole
07-25-2015, 11:58 AM
If people were to read ALL the pm's, they would see the truth.

Here is the truth..

I had like 4-5 good transactions with John.
Then I simply asked if he had a Gale Sayers (I think it was a Gale Sayers, but not sure). He said he did. I ended not buying it from him because it was too much $$. I didn't think it would be that big of a deal to simply ASK if he had it. I never said I would buy it, I never asked to hold it, I simply asked if he had one for sale.

About 2 months later we are putting together another set, and again I gave him our want list. A few days later, he reply back that he has some of the cards. That is when I told him that I had gone to a show and bought most of the ones he had, so I kindly told him I didn't need them. I never told him I would buy them, I never told him to hold them, I simply gave him my want list.

THAT is when I get a message from him that him that he had deleted me from the Facebook group.
That is also when he told everybody on the page (and everybody here now), that I "STIFFED" him.
Quetion.. How could I have "stiffed" him when I never received the card/s, and he never sent the cards, and I never told h I would take the cards???

When the word "stiffed" makes it sound like he sent the cards, I received the cards, yet I never paid for the cards????

THaT is what made me so upset. Because when he told others in the hobby that I "stiffed" him, it was slanderous and not true.

There are MANY MANY posts on this board, where we post our want lists. And to those posts, Many people respond back with what cards they have on that list.
If the person does not take the cards that were told to him that they have, has he "stiffed" every single person that replied??

Ams as far as the Meridith goes!!! I DID send it back to him!!! He states he never received it, which I can not speak to why, but after the PM where I told him it was 75 cent card, I DID send it back to him.

I have made many new friends on this board in the year or two since I came here. I hope that this one person, after not telling the entire story, and calling me a thief, will not harm my status with this great group of people.
This group is what our hobby is all about. I hope to see all of you in Rosemont, and on Friday night as well.

clydepepper
07-25-2015, 01:33 PM
I'd have to side with John on this one. Wesley, I think you should have contacted John immediately upon finding some of the cards elsewhere. Sellers will have several prospective buyers contacting them simultaneously and most handle them promptly in the order that they receive the requests. I know neither you nor John, but there are plenty of good reviews of him on this thread alone. Evidently, he has been in the hobby a good while and you don't stick around without treating folks fairly. Since you a lighter in the experience and reputation, I would be polite and treat people BETTER than you expect to be treated.

But that's just me...and many other board members, I bet.
Bless your heart - and good luck!
Raymond

K-Nole
07-25-2015, 01:58 PM
Raymond,
Re read the thread.
I asked if he had them, he said he he did and would get back to me. Meaning he already had gone thru and picked them out.

He then got back to me 2 days later.

So even if I had told him emediatly, he STILL would have said I stiffed him.

And actually, I can totally admit I shod have let him know that I was going to a show, so don't look for them until I get back, that's fine.
I can admit that I could have given him a warning.

But my issue Is the slander and lies to others in the hobby about me "stuffing him"

clydepepper
07-25-2015, 02:11 PM
Wesley - this will be my last entry for this thread as I have seen this movie before and it would just deteriorate if it is pursued further. Sometimes the less said the better.

I can tell you are a fairly young man and we all were given slack during that period of our lives.

...and I do not know what John would have done if you had informed him emediately as I do not know what that word means. (Four points off do you get for misspelling - Yoda):rolleyes:

Gradedcardman
07-25-2015, 02:12 PM
I'd have to side with John on this one. Wesley, I think you should have contacted John immediately upon finding some of the cards elsewhere. Sellers will have several prospective buyers contacting them simultaneously and most handle them promptly in the order that they receive the requests. I know neither you nor John, but there are plenty of good reviews of him on this thread alone. Evidently, he has been in the hobby a good while and you don't stick around without treating folks fairly. Since you a lighter in the experience and reputation, I would be polite and treat people BETTER than you expect to be treated.

But that's just me...and many other board members, I bet.
Bless your heart - and good luck!
Raymond

+1

ALR-bishop
07-25-2015, 02:20 PM
...do not take a private dispute public on a bulletin board and ask everyone what they think about it ,.....unless you really really want to know.

bigjohn
07-25-2015, 11:14 PM
If I had my guess, Wesley White is probably a good collector and spends his hard earned money doing so. But he's also a liar. I laid out all the proof so he could admit his shortcomings, but he didn't bite, instead, he dug in deeper. God knows all my faults and when I get the opportunity to admit them, I don't mind.

If I am at fault for anything, it's using a word that struck a nerve with Wesley. "Stiffed" is obviously a word he didn't like. But my usage of that word has to more do to him keeping a card that I made him aware of before he even got the package. He even admitted that I had asked for it back. Now after all this is said and done, he now claims he mailed it after our last conversation that I posted earlier. I also gave him the opportunity to show a delivery confirmation number, because we all know, if he shipped it and it cost $2.50, it came with delivery confirmation. If he shipped one single card back and spent that much, I once again give him the opportunity to show the proof.

And to clear up another matter, I run one of the most respected trading card pages on facebook, and a couple collectors contacted me complaining about pulling cards for Wesley White, and that he wouldn't answer their messages after doing all that work. We found that he'd send the same wantlist to several guys and put them through the work, and then only dealt with the one he wished to do so. All he had to do is be up front with those guys, and they would have understood. One guy was Tom Frost, and Tom told me that Wesley wouldn't even answer his messages after Tom pulled a long wantlist for Wesley. So I gave Wesley an opportunity to follow through with a wantlist with me again and I did the work, and that's when he went to a show and purchased all of them, knowing he gave me the list to fill for him and present him with the results I had on his list. It's just in poor taste to make guys pull cards and to not communicate that he planned on going to a show, especially if 2 measly little days it took me to make sure I pulled the right cards for him, in the condition he requested. And a heck of a lot of people have personal lives and Wesley never portrayed to me that there was any emergency on pulling the list, or that he planned on going to a show to fill the list. When I give someone a list, I don't give it to multiple guys, and I certainly wouldn't go to a show to fill the same list, knowing there is someone out there that's doing a job for me, that's just not cool. After Wesley had multiple complaints about him, and after he told me he wanted a Gale Sayers card I had (that he admitted in a PM that he didn't follow through with) held for him, and now that he bought those at a show, I simply booted him from my page, and I am the admin to a private admin page for all the good vintage admins that I know on facebook, and I simply alerted them to the situation with Wesley. They can determine on their own if that's someone they want on their page, but we have each others backs, and we all share info about trouble makers on all our pages. Wesley is the one who opened this can of worms, and I have laid out the PM's for everyone to see the truth. I only came on her to clear my name, because I have been a buyer and a seller for almost 45 years, and someone messaged me to tell me that they were surprised to hear someone bring my name into a negative light. Had I done something wrong in this transaction, I wish I could fix it, but the truth is I made a mistake by shipping his order quicker than normal and I sent him two Don Meredith cards by mistake, and I kindly let him know to return the lower grade one, and he's the one who made such a big deal out of it by finding excuses like, he gives away much more value than that to kids, etc. But never ever did he say he'd send it back, just excuses. It was a non-issue with me because I happily removed him from my page, and I reported him to admins I trust, and I went about my merry way trying to help hundreds and hundreds of collectors enjoy the hobby and fill their wantlists. Let me close by apologizing to Wesley for my accident and it was my fault for sending two of that card, and it was trivial to ask for one back, but I know a lot of Cowboys collectors and since I gave you a smokin deal on the cards, and you were happy with each and every order, I figured you wouldn't mind spending 49 cents to mail it back to me so I could find a happy home for it. If anyone else out there wants a new vintage collector friend, hit me up on facebook, as I have a couple of great pages with some terrific guys helping one another. It's called "Vintage Sports Cards Marketplace & Old Fashioned Trading", and once there, you can find out about a fun auction page that I started. Have a terrific collecting day everyone.....big john

conor912
07-25-2015, 11:43 PM
if you know you will be going to a card show in a few days where there is a good probability that you will find cards on your wantlist, do not send said wantlist to mail order dealers until after the show. Then you will not be wasting your or his time.

+1