PDA

View Full Version : O/T slightly- 1946 Tacoma Tigers - Jordon's Good Bread

Leon
03-23-2015, 08:36 AM
This is a year or so later than normal for this section but close enough for govt. work. This new acquisition is a large team card, approx. 17" x 8 1/2", and I am pretty sure it has to do with the very scarce set of Morley Studio Cards from 1947. I had no idea they are bread cards (Gordon Bread) in disguise. (scans are not to size, the single card is approx (2 1/2" x 3 1/2")

bigfanNY
03-23-2015, 09:03 AM
Very nice pickup Leon. Is the team photo autographed or is are those stamps? I agree the writing on bottom ties the photo to the same company as the issue maybe a premium? Anyway a nice piece that I am sure displays well.
J

Leon
03-23-2015, 09:21 AM
Very nice pickup Leon. Is the team photo autographed or is are those stamps? I agree the writing on bottom ties the photo to the same company as the issue maybe a premium? Anyway a nice piece that I am sure displays well.
J

Pretty sure it's just a stamped signature. Gordon's Bread was associated with the team anyway but this store display? card really ties in well.

bbpostcards
03-23-2015, 10:08 AM
As well, there are 1946 Morley Studio Tacoma Tigers postcards. I don't know of any connection between them and your team photo, but since they're from the same year as your photo I thought you might be interested in seeing them: http://www.sportingoregon.com/p110092844..

Leon
03-23-2015, 10:20 AM
As well, there are 1946 Morley Studio Tacoma Tigers postcards. I don't know of any connection between them and your team photo, but since they're from the same year as your photo I thought you might be interested in seeing them: http://www.sportingoregon.com/p110092844..

Probably going a bit deeper than need be here but found this very useful info online....and yes, the Postcards seemed to have something to do with the other cards...

This unusual Western International League issue was mailed out to fans who sent in a postcard to KMO 1360 radio station requesting a complete series of autographed pictures of the Tacoma Tigers. The cards measure approximately 2 1/2" x 3 1/2" and have a white background. Superimposed over each player is their facsimile autograph. Also printed on the front of each card are the words either "Morley Sport Photos" or "Morley Studios".
This set was issued with 28 total cards. The cards were issued in Series A through F with all but seven of the cards having a biographical sketch of their playing career on the back. This sketch was referred to on the back of the card as "A Morley Sportgrafic". At the bottom of each card on the back side was the name of Clay Huntington, Jordan's "Breadcaster".
This promotional venture came about because of Morley Brotman, longtime civic sports activist and owner of Morley Studios. He was always involved with many of the schools' sports teams and this was another public service opportunity.
The overall production was coordinated through the Butler Emmett Advertising Agency in Portland, Oregon whose speciality was broadcasting baseball games up and down the Pacific Coast. Interestingly enough, many of these broadcasts had a baking company behind them such as Swansons (San Diego), Remar (Oakland), Sunbeam (Sacramento), Hansen (Seattle),and Davidsons (Portland), and of course, the Jordan Baking of Tacoma. The biographical data was compiled by "Jordan's breadcaster" Clay Huntington and the process was all photographically done at Morley Studies which was located at 9th and Pacific Avenue in downtown Tacoma, WA. There was no printing.
Although packets were not handed out at games, over 5000 packets were sent out from KMO radio station in a specially designed envelope paid for by the Jordan Baking Company. The photos were, of course, provided by Morley Studios.
The team photos come in a postcard format and are 3 1/2" x 5 1/2". They are also extremely rare, especially the full set of eight. All have the Morley Studios logo in the lower corner with blank backs.
This series was assigned a catalogue designation of W-UNC Morley Studios 1947 by the Sports Collectors Bible. It is separated into two categories: individual players (24 listed) and team cards (5 listed) although. Due to the extreme rarity of this issue, cards are desirable in all grades. In a Robert Edwards Auction held in September of 1994, a near set of 26 individual players sold for $2133.00 (includes commissions). A great card for type set collectors.

NewEnglandBaseBallist
03-23-2015, 11:15 AM
Leon, that's awesome. Thanks for sharing. I've always thought Morley's were a neat issue.