PDA

View Full Version : Keeping My Interest in the Hobby:

clydepepper
03-22-2015, 07:04 PM
Now that I have collected almost every card I have ever wanted, I frequently have to search for new interests within the BBC hobby.

In this age of specialization, I have devoted sub-sections of my collections to players with local ties, players who have achieved rare single-game feats, and the sub-section that inspires this thread, player with whom I share a birthday:

This past week, ESPN aired a report on Notre Dame senior forward, Patrick Connaughton, who is also a minor league pitcher. When I pulled up his player profile, I saw that he, too, was born on January 6.

Besides immediately searching EBAY for a Connaughton card (even though he's a minor leaguer right now), I remembered that I had not checked my 'Birthday' search on BaseballReference.Com in a whiie.

While I have collected cards of most of the players with my birthday, there were some that I did not think I would ever purchase.

My membership on New54 spurred my T206 pursuit, but I had put the birthday search aside some time prior and actually overlooked a player represented in the set who did, indeed, share my birthday. I am happy to know that I have both of the T206 players born on January 6th:

bnorth
03-22-2015, 07:15 PM
Cool, never thought about collecting players with the same birth date. Found out Bret Boone and I are the same age and that I share the same birthday with 42 former and current players.

abothebear
03-22-2015, 09:29 PM
I just checked mine, most of the players aren't notable. But Frank McCormick was on the list and I happen to have a WWII era McCormick mitt that my grandfather used during the war and then gave to me. I can't remember if I already knew that about our birthday or not. In any case, I am glad to know it now.

1952boyntoncollector
03-23-2015, 06:24 AM
I looked into that like 2 months ago.. Zero players were born on my birthday when include the year....I didn't have good odds to be a pro baseball player if was told zero people born the same day as me would ever be a major leaguer..tough to beat those odds.....

sycks22
03-23-2015, 07:14 AM
I have the same birthday of John Franco of Mets fame. When I was a kid I always looked at their birthdays. I'm only a couple days off of Piazza.