PDA

View Full Version : Ephrata, Pennsylvania BB card Show....Saturday, March 28th

tedzan
03-21-2015, 03:47 PM
Visit the scenic Pennsylvania Dutch country in Lancaster County. Make it a family affair......your wife (or girlfriend) can enjoy shopping in the area while
you're having fun at the Show. Afterwards, enjoy a delicious dinner at one of the many great restaurants along U.S. Route 30.

This Show has been operating since 1980, so come an celebrate its 36th Anniversary. It's located at the Ephrata Recreation Center..130 South Academy
Drive. Travel thru town, then when you are in the residential area you'll find Academy Drive, turn LEFT at traffic light intersection, then a quick RIGHT in
to the parking lot.

Show times are:

9 AM - 5 PM, Saturday March 28th

Autograph guest this year is Steve Carlton....he will be signing between 11 AM - 1 PM

At 2:30 PM the Sportscard & Memorabilia Auction begins.

Every year there are approx. 50 dealers with some very interesting stuff. I will be set up at Tables 1 & 2 with a variety of vintage BB cards (graded and
ungraded) from years 1888 - 1970.
And, for you T206 dudes, I'll have a large assortment of T206's....including a very rare AMERICAN BEAUTY 460 Cobb. Also, CYCLE 350, EPDG, brown &
red HINDU, OLD MILL, POLAR BEAR, SOVEREIGN, TOLSTOI, and UZIT cards.

Looking forward to seeing some of you.

TED Z

bcbgcbrcb
03-21-2015, 03:55 PM
I might be in the area that day and will stop by if I am. Never been to that show before.

Cobra Kai
03-22-2015, 04:07 PM
I'll be there. Looking forward to it. Had a great time last year.

tedzan
03-23-2015, 09:45 AM
I've received several emails requesting directions to the Show. So, here you go:

From points North and East......

Exit off PA Turnpike at #286. Take U.S. Route 222 South to Lancaster. Turn right at Ephrata (U.S. Route 322) ramp to East Main Street.
Continue through city to West Main St. Look for South Academy Drive intersection. Turn LEFT at traffic light, then a quick RIGHT into the
Recreation Center parking lot.

From points South......

Get to U.S. Route 30 (Lincoln Highway) West. When you go past the Strasburg area, look for U.S. Route 222 North (to Reading). Exit off
Rte. 222 at Ephrata (U.S. Route 322) exit. LEFT turn onto East Main St. Continue through city to West Main St. Look for South Academy
Drive intersection. Turn LEFT at traffic light, then a quick RIGHT into the Recreation Center parking lot.

From points West......

Get onto U.S. Route 30 (Lincoln Highway) East. When you get past the Lancaster area, look for U.S. Route 222 North (to Reading). Exit
off Rte. 222 at Ephrata (U.S. Route 322) exit. LEFT turn onto East Main St. Continue thru city to West Main St. Look for South Academy
Drive intersection. Turn LEFT at traffic light, then a quick RIGHT into the Recreation Center parking lot

TED Z

glynparson
03-23-2015, 10:01 AM
Pm me and you can follow me up. Teds directions are accurate. The turn you make coming from reading is very sharp and almost makes you do a 180 in to the road that takes you to the rec lot. It will be crowded and often fills to capacity or more in the parking lot. 2 years ago I bought about 200 or so t206 don't remember the exact amount including some Piedmont factory 42 at no premium. Last year I think I spent a few dollars and that was it. Not always a definite hit but finds can be made. Have been going for 20+ years and that was easily my best buy at the show.

AMBST95
03-23-2015, 08:43 PM
I went to this show last year. Parking was a pain, but the show was a decent size. I remember seeing a lot of raw cards with a few graded. If you live in the area it's worth attending. I won't be there this year as my son starts Spring soccer this weekend.

Andretti83
03-24-2015, 08:45 PM
I was excited to see a card show that was close to Baltimore this weekend!! For the attendees (ie tedzan & glynparson), is there a high number of dealers selling pre-ww2 issues (ie 1922 Neilson Chocolate cards)? Also, is this a show and/or an auction. I noticed a 2:30pm auction but figured this was a typo??

eastonfalcon19
03-24-2015, 09:06 PM
Stop at Shady Maple Smorgasbord if you are out that way. It is the best place to eat.

glynparson
03-25-2015, 03:36 AM
Not a ton of prewar generally but way more than at your average weekend one day show. It is often worth a drive of an hour or two not sure about more than that.

tedzan
03-25-2015, 06:35 AM
Glyn's description of the Ephrata show is pretty accurate. Over the years that I've been setting up at this show, I have always found some great stuff to add to my collection.

Other than the National, the great vintage stuff you see at most other shows nowadays are what I refer to as "pheasant under glass"......that is......
it's on display by Auction houses for you to "drool" over....but, you cannot buy.

Not so at this show. What you see is what you can buy. And, most dealers are willing to work with you on making the deal.

TED Z

Leon
03-25-2015, 06:43 AM
Glyn's description of the Ephrata show is pretty accurate. Over the years that I've been setting up at this show, I have always found some great stuff to add to my collection.

Other than the National, the great vintage stuff you see at most other shows nowadays are what I refer to as "pheasant under glass"......that is......
it's on display by Auction houses for you to "drool" over....but, you cannot buy.

Not so at this show. What you see is what you can buy. And, most dealers are willing to work with you on making the deal.

TED Z

I wish we had more shows, vintage, in the DFW area. In fairness to AH's Ted, if they are showing something it will almost always be in an upcoming auction. That means those cards on their tables are for sale, but you have to go to auction to buy them.

Rich Klein
03-25-2015, 07:09 AM
I can only draw as a show promoter who wishes to set up at a show.

But, we've discussed this in the past --- the old concept of the pre-1980 show would be kind of cool where everything displayed would be before 1980. (you could sell more modern stuff too, but the display would have to be vintage)

I think we could get Roger N. on the right weekend and a few other vendors (including yourself) but the show would have to be a weekend show and expect a slower attendance but a lot of camaderie.

One day we'll do lunch and discuss this further. May have to be on a weeken though :)

Rich

tedzan
03-25-2015, 07:14 AM
Stop at Shady Maple Smorgasbord if you are out that way. It is the best place to eat.

Thanks Ron for mentioning Shady Maple.

Shady Maple is just a short ride straight East of Ephrata on U.S. Route 322.

In the Strasburg area (only a few miles South of Ephrata), Dienner's Country Restaurant on US Route 30. It also features a fine Pennsylvania Dutch Buffet.

And, nearby is Miller's Restaurant (Pennsylvania Dutch Buffet) on US Route 30 in the Strasburg area.

A 4th fine eating place is Good & Plenty which features Family style Pennsylvania Dutch dining. It is on PA Route 896 just off the U.S. Route 30 intersection.

I can personally vouch for these four restaurants that I have recommended here. But, there certainly are many more restaurants in Lancaster County.

TED Z

slipk1068
03-25-2015, 06:49 PM
I am thinking of making the trip from NY. My wife has been bugging me to do a road trip with some shopping. Maybe play some poker in Chester PA. Just looking for something to do this weekend. I have a question for you local guys.

Pottstown, PA seems to be nearby Lancanster. Many years ago, I read in a book about the Pottstown Fire Department having some Buck Weaver items in a display case. It wasn't much. A few trophies, his glove a bat. I was in the area so made a slight detour to check it out. It was a Sunday and the fire department was closed. I went to a nearby bowling alley to ask some local folks about the Buck Weaver items. They had no idea what I was talking about, but I don't think any of them even knew who Buck Weaver was.

Anyone familiar with Pottstown and know about any Buck Weaver tourist attractions?

tedzan
03-26-2015, 08:50 AM
David

I have been to Pottstown many times, visiting my wife's brother and his family. I don't recall seeing anything set up as a tribute to Buck Weaver....Pottstown's hometown BB hero.

He played with the White Sox his entire 9 year career. He remained living in Chicago till he died. And, his grave marker is in Chicago.

Contact the Chicago Baseball Museum and you will find lot's of stuff on Buck Weaver.

TED Z

tedzan
03-27-2015, 02:08 PM
We are on our way to Lancaster County, PA. Tomorrow's weather there is expected to be partly cloudy with Temp's in the 40's.

Looking forward to seeing some of you at the show.....I'm set-up near the entrance of the Recreation Center at Tables 1 & 2.

TED Z

glynparson
03-28-2015, 10:32 AM
had to get my daughter to an egg hunt. Did not even get a chance to talk with Ted. Did buy 4 T206,s well 3 T206 and one T205 off a long time dealer from Stroudsburgh. He had a waddell and a cicotte and a t205 wallace in his commons, oh well his been a dealer since the 1970's he should have known better, also bought a horizontal in vg for $20 each waddell was poor. Bought an ex 1939 Playball moe Berg, a few post football cards, a nice 1971 Bradshaw and a few 1969 topps basketball cards. Didn't break the bank but not bad for a quick trip. Hope you did well Ted, sorry i did not get a chance to chat, you were still setting up when i left, like i said i had to get in and out quickly.

bigred1
03-29-2015, 06:32 PM
I stopped in for the first time, worked out well bowled in the Dutchman Tournament, a nice size one day show. Parking was a pain, as expected based on previous posts. Did not have much time but picked up three of the five 1966 Topps I needed to finish my set. There was a decent amount of most everything, including pre war. Glad I was able to stop by. Would like have been around to learn about the auction but had to bowl at 2. Maybe next year, worth the trip. Tim

Andretti83
03-29-2015, 06:40 PM
Agreed, worth the trip to Ephrata. Drove from Baltimore (90-miles each way) in hopes of finding a few Type 2 Neilson cards. Ran into fellow board members Tedzan and Drew6 and purchased the lone Neilson card at the show. The auction at 2:30 was a great addition to the show. Will definitely consider attending next year.

Also, a shout out to the upcoming Glen Burnie show on April 18th. Didn't know there was a show closer than Chantilly, VA so I'm excited. Hope to find a few other pre-WW2 collectors locally to Baltimore, MD region. -Mario

Leon
03-30-2015, 07:59 AM
Agreed, worth the trip to Ephrata. Drove from Baltimore (90-miles each way) in hopes of finding a few Type 2 Neilson cards. Ran into fellow board members Tedzan and Drew6 and purchased the lone Neilson card at the show. The auction at 2:30 was a great addition to the show. Will definitely consider attending next year.

Also, a shout out to the upcoming Glen Burnie show on April 18th. Didn't know there was a show closer than Chantilly, VA so I'm excited. Hope to find a few other pre-WW2 collectors locally to Baltimore, MD region. -Mario

Thanks for the update, Mario. It is good to know many shows are still holding their own.

tedzan
03-30-2015, 01:21 PM
This 40-dealer, one-day show was pretty good this year. For me, in terms of sales, it was about 1/2 as good as last year's great show......which was tremendous.
However......1/2 as good as " tremendous " is still a great show.

And, I added to my collection these two cards......

A PIEDMONT 460 red Cobb for my all - PIEDMONT "master set"

http://photos.imageevent.com/tedzan77/images/large/P350x460redCobb50.jpg.http://photos.imageevent.com/tedzan77/images/large/P350x460redCobb50b.jpg

A 1950 Royal Rizzuto card for my Phil Rizzuto type set

http://photos.imageevent.com/tedzan77/images/large/1950RoyalRizzuto50.jpg

And Leon

We dined at the nearby Maple Shade Smorgasbord. A restaurant you would be more than thrilled with. I will tell you about sometime.

Furthermore,
I engaged in quite an experience with some "hyper-dude"....which, is a story worth telling about. I will soon post a thread about it.

TED Z

Andretti83
03-30-2015, 02:31 PM
Ted, out of curiousity, was the "hyper-dude" the same individual trying to sell FAKE cards that he said were his father's from 30-years ago? He had a few 54-57 Topps cards and a 75 Brett RC that were all fake. A few dealers took out their loupes but the pixelation was plain as day. Watch out for this guy as he said he was attending the Glen Burnie show too.

tedzan
03-30-2015, 06:13 PM
Describe this guy with the fake cards. I'm curious if the "hyper-dude" is the same guy ?

TED Z

Andretti83
03-30-2015, 06:31 PM
Describe this guy with the fake cards. I'm curious if the "hyper-dude" is the same guy ?

TED Z
The gentleman was approx. 40 years old. He had darker black hair that was cut close, similar to a military cut, and clean shaven. Not to be cynical, but he was sweating from the tops of his receeding hairline. The cards that caught my attention was the gloss 57 Topps Ted Williams and the 75 Topps Brett RC. Dealers were whispering under their breath but you could tell something wasn't right. He was wearing a flannel shirt (grey, blue, & white) and stood about 5'8". Not sure why I remember his appearance, but I don't forget those who try to pull fast ones by collectors.

Oh, I just recalled that he was looking for 1935 Mickey Mouse cards for his daughter.

tedzan
03-30-2015, 07:32 PM
The guy that I'm referring to as the "hyper-dude" looked to be in his 60's, stood was about 6 foot tall, and had sort of greasy dark hair.
He was at my table about 10:30 AM.....and, had a big mouth.

TED Z

Mike (18colt)
03-30-2015, 10:30 PM
I am thinking of making the trip from NY. My wife has been bugging me to do a road trip with some shopping. Maybe play some poker in Chester PA. Just looking for something to do this weekend. I have a question for you local guys.

Pottstown, PA seems to be nearby Lancanster. Many years ago, I read in a book about the Pottstown Fire Department having some Buck Weaver items in a display case. It wasn't much. A few trophies, his glove a bat. I was in the area so made a slight detour to check it out. It was a Sunday and the fire department was closed. I went to a nearby bowling alley to ask some local folks about the Buck Weaver items. They had no idea what I was talking about, but I don't think any of them even knew who Buck Weaver was.

Anyone familiar with Pottstown and know about any Buck Weaver tourist attractions?

I grew up there and if not for Eight Men Out, wouldn't know of Buck Weaver. I never heard of a display at the fire company.

1952 AL MVP Bobby Shantz was local.

Howie Bedell, who drove in the run to end Don Drysdale's scoreless innings streak, was from Pottstown. Bedell worked for the Phillies, Royals, and Rockies before retiring. One of his sons was a teammate of Bo Jackson's for the Memphis Chicks.

Randy Gumpert (on some early 50s Bowman cards) was a longtime resident of Birdsboro.

80s & 90s pitcher John Smiley is from nearby Phoenixville, as was one-time Red Sox & A's catcher Creighton Gubanich (first big league hit was a grand slam), who hit one off of me in high school that hasn't landed yet. Ok, Mike Piazza is from there, too, as was 80s slugger Andre Thornton.

Surely others, just not popping into my head yet.

Mike