PDA

View Full Version : 1953 Lopats Nomads barnstorming in Japan photo lot

thxforthebp
03-20-2015, 07:51 AM
I just found these in a large lot of military photos from a serviceman who was stationed overseas. There are about 20 photos of players,game,stadium eat.
I cannot seem to find much information and only one other photo of this team. Any information on the game and an approximate value would be great. The stadium looks to be Korakuen stadium.

Thanks

71buc
03-20-2015, 09:55 AM
The photo below has been in my collection for awhile. It features a US All Star team visiting Japan in 1953. While researching the photo I came across this web page http://baseballguru.com/jholway/analysisjholway36.html discussing the games played that year. Lopat was a member of one of those teams. I hope this info helps.

Chris Counts
03-23-2015, 08:28 AM
I collect snapshots and I always find them difficult to put a value on. There's no price guide for snapshots. Personally, I'm always surprised at how little they sell for. As with cards, most collectors will pay a premium for the stars, and it looks like you have a few of them. I've typically paid about $5 for common players and up to $50 for a Berra in a minor league uniform. I see what looks like two Yogi Berras, two Eddie Mathews and an Enos Slaughter, and they're in nice shape. If you're selling them, I'd do it as a lot, or you'll likely be stuck with the stadium shots.

GoCubsGo32
03-23-2015, 09:51 AM
I collect snapshot as well and I can echo what Chris has mention. Snapshots are very strange market. $5 for common is about avg and HOFer snapshot depending condition,caliber player and the way it looks $15-$50.

Exhibitman
03-23-2015, 01:03 PM
Echoing Chris and Gary, the numbers seem about right unless you have a Ruth, Gehrig, Cobb, etc. That's why they are fun--you can concentrate on stadium backgrounds, uniforms, interesting scenes, etc., since the actual players won't set you back all that much.