PDA

View Full Version : Hartland 1880's Bronze Statue?

jcmtiger
03-18-2015, 11:53 AM
Did Hartland ever produce this Bronze statue.?

The sketch and letter I have is from September 11, 2000.

Thanks Joe

murphusa
03-18-2015, 01:19 PM
yes and a picture of it is on the last picture top left hand side

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=131800&page=2

jcmtiger
03-18-2015, 02:33 PM
yes and a picture of it is on the last picture top left hand side

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=131800&page=2

Jim, sorry I don't see it. Is it your posting, if not which NET54 posted the picture.

Joe

Hankphenom
03-18-2015, 03:10 PM
That Hartland Bronze series didn't last long, and I'm not sure all of it actually went into production. They sent me a sample of the Walter Johnson and I liked it so much I bought a few more from them at their cost, but I've never seen another one on the secondary market. I sold one in REA's first fall auction in 2013. It would be interesting to know the history of the project.

murphusa
03-18-2015, 03:39 PM
link to the last page of Hartlands on the right, top shelf next to the ryans and above the Yaz

it is shown in the 4,5 and 7th photo

if you want a better pic I would message the poster of the pic

Hank, the statue you sold was a Southland.

jcmtiger
03-18-2015, 03:50 PM
OK, got it.

Joe

jcmtiger
03-18-2015, 04:06 PM
That Hartland Bronze series didn't last long, and I'm not sure all of it actually went into production. They sent me a sample of the Walter Johnson and I liked it so much I bought a few more from them at their cost, but I've never seen another one on the secondary market. I sold one in REA's first fall auction in 2013. It would be interesting to know the history of the project.

I have the Ty Cobb Bronze which was produced by Southland after Hartland went out of business the 2nd time. The owner disappeared and reappeared later. His wife could not keep the business going.

The letter I have is a from a group that bought the rights to Hartland and it's name in the fall of 2000. When did you buy the Walter Johnson?.

Joe

Hankphenom
03-18-2015, 10:14 PM
Yes, it was Southland, not Hartland. I handle the Johnson estate, so I got the first one as the sample provided for in the contract with Southland, then bought the others. Not sure of the year, around 15 years ago I'd guess. They retailed at $900 or so, and I'd guess they sold just a few before the company folded. As I said, I've never seen another Johnson, and I can recall only a very few of the others popping up anywhere, so I think there's probably just a tiny number of them out there. The artwork and casting is outstanding, really a first-class product in every respect, it's a shame the marketing didn't follow suit.

perezfan
03-20-2015, 03:21 PM
It is indeed beau-tee-ful....

whiteymet
03-21-2015, 09:10 PM
Gentlemen:

Joe M contacted me with questions about the Hartland bronze statues after Jim M. suggested he look at old photos I had posted here.

For those interested, here is the list of all the solid bronze statues made by both Hartland and Southland.

If anyone would like to see any specific statue(s) LMK and I will be happy to post them here.

Fred

Here is the list of ALL the solid bronze statues on wood bases that were made:

Hartland:

Originals: Banks, Berra, Mantle, Musial, Spahn, Little Leaguer

Dallas: The Confrontation

Missouri: Ryan, Ryan w/ plaque on wood base

Louisianna: Ozzie Smith, Di Maggio running, Di Maggio batting, Ruth/Gehrig, 1800's Player w/ gold plaque, 1800's Player with HARTLAND embossed on wood base

Southlands:

Griffey, Gwynn, Jackson, Maddux, Ryan

Cobb, Johnson, Mathewson, Ruth, Wagner,

Mantle, Ruth/Gehrig

Not issued: only two of Williams were made a FEW more of Clemente;

Football: Running Back

Variations:

Cobb no D on cap, Griffey w/autographed plaque embedded in wood base, Jackson no SOX on cap, Mantle no NY on cap

Any Southlands which were also made by Hartland either in bronze or plastic are different poses. Namely Clemente, Cobb, Mantle, Ruth, Ruth/Gehrig, Ryan, Wagner Williams and the Football Running Back.

Hankphenom
03-21-2015, 09:23 PM
Any idea of the relative scarcities, or even if all of these went into production? I assume they were making them to order, and as I said, I've never seen any Walter Johnsons other than mine. I would guess there are others out there, but not many given the price and short lifespan of the Southland Company.

murphusa
03-22-2015, 10:04 AM
from Photos on ebay today

Christy, Mickey and Ty

MGHPro
03-22-2015, 11:28 AM
I have a Johnson too . They are certainly rare tho
Matt

Any idea of the relative scarcities, or even if all of these went into production? I assume they were making them to order, and as I said, I've never seen any Walter Johnsons other than mine. I would guess there are others out there, but not many given the price and short lifespan of the Southland Company.

perezfan
03-22-2015, 12:06 PM
NM

whiteymet
03-22-2015, 12:56 PM

Hank:

I have some old records from the Southland Company on how many were were ordered/made of each. Without digging them out I can say for certain Mantle was far and away the most ordered. That total was about 15 to 20. Most others were in the single digits, so these are quite scarce!

As you mentioned these were made to order and buyers could choose what number they wanted. So if the announced issued size was say for instance 250 that does not mean 250 were produced. And just because you may have or seen one numbered again for instance 45/250 does not mean 45 were produced.

Fred

whiteymet
03-22-2015, 01:52 PM
Hi Mark:

The Johnson that Hank consigned to the REA auction brought almost $3K. See:

http://www.robertedwardauctions.com/auction/2013_fall/950.html

I have also brokered some private sales for that amount and more on some of these Southlands and Hartland Bronze which in my experience are much rarer than the Southlands.

I hope your patience pays off, but there just aren't many of these out there!

perezfan
03-22-2015, 03:44 PM
NM

perezfan
03-22-2015, 03:55 PM
NM

murphusa
03-22-2015, 04:45 PM
So now a group here will be bidding against each other and driving the price up. Too bad we weren't paying attention a year ago

perezfan
03-22-2015, 05:05 PM
NM

Hankphenom
03-23-2015, 10:44 AM
Hank:

I have some old records from the Southland Company on how many were were ordered/made of each. Without digging them out I can say for certain Mantle was far and away the most ordered. That total was about 15 to 20. Most others were in the single digits, so these are quite scarce!

As you mentioned these were made to order and buyers could choose what number they wanted. So if the announced issued size was say for instance 250 that does not mean 250 were produced. And just because you may have or seen one numbered again for instance 45/250 does not mean 45 were produced.

Fred

According to a brief article in SCD from then, Southland was going to also produce a plastic version of the bronzes, but since I've never seen any I guess they went under before that happened.

murphusa
03-23-2015, 11:10 AM
Some were made in plastic but others, mostly the older player with the exception of the Joe Jackson never made it

whiteymet
03-23-2015, 11:47 AM
According to a brief article in SCD from then, Southland was going to also produce a plastic version of the bronzes, but since I've never seen any I guess they went under before that happened.

Hank:

As Jim mentioned Southland did make plastic statues of Griffey, Gwynn, Jackson, Maddux, and Ryan. They also made in limited quantities the above plastics in bronze, silver, gold and pewter tints.

They did not make plastic or resin of the other bronze namely:

Cobb, Johnson, Mathewson, Ruth, Wagner, Mantle, Ruth/Gehrig

I do however have a few painted and unpainted resin statues including a Brooks Robinson that was never produced. As well as wax versions, molds and original artwork and original drawings from the artist (Dr. Nick Calcagno) and his original clay sculpture of Wagner that is about 18" tall. See some below.

Fred

Hankphenom
03-23-2015, 09:57 PM
Amazing stuff, Fred! Did you get those directly from the artist? So cool that this material was saved. And such a shame that this wonderful program sank so quickly.

whiteymet
03-24-2015, 05:38 PM
Amazing stuff, Fred! Did you get those directly from the artist? So cool that this material was saved. And such a shame that this wonderful program sank so quickly.

Hank:

None of the items shown came directly from the artist. The company basically "owned" all the material since the artist worked for them.

I do however have some other sketches of Nolan Ryan and a few others that I did get from Dr. Nick Calcagno.

Fred

parker1b2
03-24-2015, 07:01 PM
The Southland Plastic "Bronze" Ryan and plastic Maddux autograph versions

murphusa
05-24-2015, 06:03 AM
Sales on eBay in last two months

Griffey, Jr $260.00 1 bidder
Cobb $599.00 1 bidder
Mathewson $637.89 3 bidders

murphusa
06-01-2015, 08:45 PM
Gwynn $250 1 bid

murphusa
02-07-2016, 04:32 PM
Southland Clemente on eBay now

irv
02-07-2016, 05:20 PM

X2. Really great stuff! Thanks for posting. :)

Southland Clemente on eBay now

Link?

khkco4bls
02-08-2016, 05:31 AM
I have the Joe Jackson in plastic what are they worth

murphusa
02-08-2016, 11:00 AM

$10

Hankphenom
02-08-2016, 11:49 AM

I'd love to see it.

murphusa
02-08-2016, 03:42 PM
A great collection of the bronzes are up at Hunt Actions this month

Hankphenom
02-08-2016, 07:04 PM
A great collection of the bronzes are up at Hunt Actions this month

Wonder if that's a complete collection of the vintage bronzes.

murphusa
02-08-2016, 08:45 PM
Close but not complete

whiteymet
02-08-2016, 10:07 PM
Wonder if that's a complete collection of the vintage bronzes.

Hi Hank:

I listed ALL the Bronze Southlands and Hartlands on page 1 of this thread.

So you don't have to go back to see it I will copy it below with one addition.

Fred

Here is the list of ALL the solid bronze statues on wood bases that were made:

Hartland:

Originals: Banks, Berra, Mantle, Musial, Spahn, Little Leaguer

Dallas: The Confrontation

Missouri: Ryan, Ryan w/ plaque on wood base

Louisianna: Ozzie Smith, Di Maggio running, Di Maggio batting, Ruth/Gehrig, 1800's Player w/ gold plaque, 1800's Player with HARTLAND embossed on wood base

Southlands:

Griffey, Gwynn, Jackson, Maddux, Ryan

Cobb, Johnson, Mathewson, Ruth, Wagner,

Mantle, Ruth/Gehrig

Not issued: only two of Williams were made. a FEW more of Clemente;

Football: Running Back, Receiver

Variations:

Cobb no D on cap, Griffey w/autographed plaque embedded in wood base, Jackson no SOX on cap, Mantle no NY on cap

Any Southlands which were also made by Hartland either in bronze or plastic are different poses. Namely Clemente, Cobb, Mantle, Ruth, Ruth/Gehrig, Ryan, Wagner Williams and the Football Running Back.

Hankphenom
02-09-2016, 09:46 AM
Thanks, Fred.