PDA

View Full Version : Fake '33 Goudey Ruth #149

baseballandhockeyfan
03-16-2015, 11:38 PM
I'm a bit of a newbie, so please forgive me if these are stupid questions...

Here is the eBay listing:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1933-Goudey-149-PSA-7-Babe-Ruth-Fake-reprint-/291409229649?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43d957f751

I haven't compared this card against scans of other '33 Goudey Ruth #149 cards, but for all of you experts out there, if the seller didn't disclose that this is a fake, would you have been able to tell that it is a fake by looking at the fuzzy pictures in his listing?

Also, the seller doesn't really provide a full frontal picture of the PSA holder, but he does provide a partial front pic as well as a full, but fuzzy, pic of the back of the holder. If not for the 3rd picture where the seller shows the opening in the holder would you have been able to tell from his fuzzy scans that the PSA holder has been compromised (or maybe that it is a fake holder??)

Assuming the seller had provided clearer pics, do you think you would have been able to tell that this was a fake / compromised holder without having the card in hand?

ezez420
03-17-2015, 06:05 AM
No. Probably not.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

1952boyntoncollector
03-17-2015, 06:08 AM
I'm a bit of a newbie, so please forgive me if these are stupid questions...

Here is the eBay listing:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1933-Goudey-149-PSA-7-Babe-Ruth-Fake-reprint-/291409229649?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43d957f751

I haven't compared this card against scans of other '33 Goudey Ruth #149 cards, but for all of you experts out there, if the seller didn't disclose that this is a fake, would you have been able to tell that it is a fake by looking at the fuzzy pictures in his listing?

Also, the seller doesn't really provide a full frontal picture of the PSA holder, but he does provide a partial front pic as well as a full, but fuzzy, pic of the back of the holder. If not for the 3rd picture where the seller shows the opening in the holder would you have been able to tell from his fuzzy scans that the PSA holder has been compromised (or maybe that it is a fake holder??)

Assuming the seller had provided clearer pics, do you think you would have been able to tell that this was a fake / compromised holder without having the card in hand?

that's why I don't buy $10,000 cards from random people on ebay

calvindog
03-17-2015, 09:59 AM
My guess is he paid much less than 10K for it and was happy he was 'getting a steal.'

ZachS
03-17-2015, 10:21 AM
I got scammed on this card by a guy named Ray Rod or Kalman Weiss a few years ago. I can't look at this card anymore so I'm auctioning it and I'll take whatever I get for it. No returns on the card. The top left corner of the holder can be opened when you hold it apart with 2 fingers, check the 3rd pic. If you win this auction, please don't resell as a real card and scam a sucker (like myself) . I'd probably end up buying it again like the big idiot that I am. Good luck.

Here's an idea... why don't you destroy it?

gregr2
03-17-2015, 10:29 AM
This ^^^^ Some scammer is going to pick this up and do the same thing over again.

Leon
03-19-2015, 08:54 PM

Maybe he reads the board. It seems to be gone...