PDA

View Full Version : Could Cuban cards become more plentiful?

wondo
03-15-2015, 11:23 AM
I've always leaned toward the more esoteric in my card tastes, so vintage Cuban issues have always been of interest. I am starting a Diaz Cigarette hunt. With the current effort to normalize, or, at least relax relations with Cuba, is it possible that we could see an influx of cards? Or, are there not troves housed on the island waiting to be liberated? What do you think?

Paul S
03-15-2015, 11:35 AM
Unfortunately, I think not. Was never uncommon for an American collector (one who couldn't fly freely to Cuba) to enter via Mexico. I'd try Canadian collectors (Hi Canada:)) first.

MW1
03-15-2015, 12:03 PM
I've always leaned toward the more esoteric in my card tastes, so vintage Cuban issues have always been of interest. I am starting a Diaz Cigarette hunt. With the current effort to normalize, or, at least relax relations with Cuba, is it possible that we could see an influx of cards? Or, are there not troves housed on the island waiting to be liberated? What do you think?Yes. I think they will but to a limited degree. The current supply of vintage Cuban cards is still quite low compared to nearly anything else (domestic, foreign) from the same time period.

bcbgcbrcb
03-15-2015, 04:15 PM
This same topic was brought up fairly recently on the main board, you can check the archives for it. I think the consensus from the big-time Cuban BB collectors was that there is not an appreciable supply of cards left there and there will be no sudden "flooding of the market" here in the USA. More likely, a straggler here and there and possible new discovery(s). A very tough and expensive endeavor if you choose to get into that market. The Diaz Cigarettes, not so much other than the HOF rookies in the set, but the Negro League stuff is another story entirely, especially the 1909-1910 era cards.

bnorth
03-15-2015, 05:10 PM
I highly doubt there will be a influx of new Cuban cards. What most Americans don't realize is every other place considers Cuba a top vacation place. The first time I went to Europe I was amazed to see Cuban travel signs everywhere.

slidekellyslide
03-15-2015, 07:41 PM
If/when Cubans start getting on ebay I think you may see some stuff coming out, but I doubt there will be a large influx. You just have to think there are families with closets full of old paper with no clue they even have it just as there are in the United States.

Fred
03-15-2015, 08:04 PM
How many people are hard core Cuban card collectors?

wondo
03-16-2015, 03:37 AM
I highly doubt there will be a influx of new Cuban cards. What most Americans don't realize is every other place considers Cuba a top vacation place. The first time I went to Europe I was amazed to see Cuban travel signs everywhere.

Good point - I certainly fall into that category, one of "America-centricity". It's a double edge sword if there are some quantities. On one hand, we get a shot at some tough tough cards. On the other, one of the reasons I like them is that they are impossible to find. Many, save the HOF Negro league guys, are relatively inexpensive because they are too difficult to collect.

darwinbulldog
03-16-2015, 05:38 AM
Here is the thread that I started in the same topic.http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=161698

dabigyankeeman
03-16-2015, 07:02 AM
I have some Montiel Propagandas cards, about 4 Yankees and 2 Jewish players. They are really neat.

bwbc917
03-16-2015, 09:08 AM
I was recently in Cuba and had an opportunity to visit a collector. In the limited time we had, we saw only a small sample of his collection. I was led to believe that he had quite an extensive amount. Some we saw were in better condition than are usually found here in the states. Others, like the Deportivas, had been removed from the album and had the typical back damage.

I wonder what the market is for Cuban memorabilia, we did see an extensive amount of ceramics, ribbons, pennants etc. There also seemed to be quite a few original photos covering the 30's-50's and showing early Cuban and negro League stars.