PDA

View Full Version : Large PM10 Pins (Part Two)

springpin
03-13-2015, 08:24 AM
I just posted Part Two of my column on Large PM10 pins. I am having trouble loading the scans of the pins. What is posted is the text-only version. If/when I get the scans to behave, I will send a follow-up
baseballpinbackbuttons.wordpress.com

ooo-ribay
03-13-2015, 01:50 PM
FANTASTIC!! I am looking forward to hearing if you find anything about the owner of the novelty company. The lengths you will go to is amazing!

Are you finding much competition for the auto racing PM-10s or is it just a matter of finding them?

P.S. Get those scans up! You are obviously a better detective than an I.T. geek.

springpin
03-13-2015, 02:14 PM
Rob,

1. Your grasp of the obvious is overwhelming.

2. It is just a matter of finding these racing pins. There were 21 racing pins on eBay 15 years ago. I got 20 of them for the opening bid. I think they opened at $9.99. I did not win the 21st pin. I played ping-pong with another bidder. I took him/her over $100 before I gave up. I suspect the other bidder was the driver himself, or his son or daughter. In hindsight I'm glad he/she got it. It was a piece of family history for them, and just one more racing pin for me.

3. I am ready to give up my blog. I painstakingly scanned about 18 pins to put into the column. I cropped the images, centered them, adjusted the lighting, etc., etc. I stored all the images in my computer. They look as good as the real pins. But somehow I used lkb instead of qqp, vtw, lzl, or even hsp (or some other grouping of letters), which "would have been compatible" with something else. So I am paying some frickin' IT guy to do a "proper conversion" so the scans can be entered into the column. If I ever write another column, and this scanning thing has just about killed my creative energies, it will undoubtedly be words only. I despise this IT stuff.

springpin
03-13-2015, 07:50 PM
The blessed scans finally behaved. Hope you enjoy these fascinating large PM10 pins.

Leon
03-14-2015, 07:18 AM
My family and I used to go to stock car racing events in Houston from the mid 1960s to early 1970s. I never saw any pins but remember the races quite well. Very interesting information. Thanks for sharing!!

springpin
03-14-2015, 12:58 PM
I should not curse computers. It is through continued internet research that I established the identity of "the pinmaker," and did so within 24 hours of posting Part Two of my column on large PM10 pins. The definitive closure to this topic appears as an "Update" at the end of the column. Amen!!

ooo-ribay
03-14-2015, 04:39 PM
I should not curse computers. It is through continued internet research that I established the identity of "the pinmaker," and did so within 24 hours of posting Part Two of my column on large PM10 pins. The definitive closure to this topic appears as an "Update" at the end of the column. Amen!!

Fantastic, fantastic, fantastic. I am looking at the racing pins alongside the large PM-10 baseball pins in your book and you have convinced me 100% as to their origin. Well done!

Two more things, though:

1) Do you think Russ Dodge or a relation of his was the ebay seller of the racing pins you bought?

2) Is there any way you could post a link to the story you found in 3wide?

What mystery is up next, Sherlock??

springpin
03-14-2015, 07:41 PM
Rob,

Thank you so very much. It was a long journey.

1. No, as I said in the blog. it was the wife/son of Nat Kleinfield that was the source of the racing pins.

2. There are so many mysteries about pinbacks, I have no shortage of material. I am going to rest my brain for a few days until I go after my next pursuit. It really feels good when I finally figure something out.

Glad you liked reading the lengthy saga.

Best,

Paul

springpin
03-14-2015, 08:24 PM
Rob,

3widespicturevault.com

ooo-ribay
03-14-2015, 09:13 PM
Paul - it's cool you will have a legacy when you're gone.....it may be for a small audience but a legacy, nonetheless!

I would gladly pay for a soft bound compilation of your blogs.

Please solve the mystery of "where the hell did all those orange Ken Henderson pins go?" :p