PDA

View Full Version : unopened experts. 1979 wrapped bogus boxes?

begsu1013
03-10-2015, 07:58 PM
anyone on this board familiar with these and what transpired?

i've been collecting a lil vintage unwrapped here and there and when I read about this on another board, naturally i'm curious as to what transpired...

I only know of 2 companies that wrap, but do not want to make any assumptions. if it is the one I am thinking it is, then I have major concerns:

by all means, please pm if you desire.

here is the other board post:

"I'm not sure why everyone is having an issue with this. Wasn't it just a few months ago that a MAJOR wax authenticator (not saying any names) "fabricated" 4-boxes of 1979 Topps Baseball boxes and wrapped them "FROM A SEALED CASE" when in fact they were not? Not too many here had a problem with that. Now did they... "

vintagetoppsguy
03-10-2015, 09:54 PM
Your post is a little vague, so I'm not quite sure what you're asking. I think the story went a little something like this.

Some time last summer, several of the CU board members went in together to purchase several 1979 Topps wax trays (could have been a wax tray case, I don't remember).

One member purchased 50 (or so) wax trays and then opened the packaging on each one, but didn't open the individual packs. He then placed the packs into empty 1979 Topps wax boxes (about 3 or 4, I can't remember) and sent the boxes to Steve Hart at BBCE to authenticate and wrap.

Steve authenticated the boxes. I don't think most people had a problem with this - they were legitimate sealed '79 wax packs in legitimate '79 wax boxes. However, on the label, Steve wrote 'From a Sealed Case" which they definitely were not.

The wax trays could have been from a sealed case, but the fabricated wax boxes were definitely not from a sealed case. I think this is where everybody took issue.

From what I remember though, that member sent the boxes back to Steve and he corrected the label. Again, I'm not sure what information you're after, but I hope this helps.

begsu1013
03-10-2015, 10:30 PM
david,

was being intentionally vague for a reason as I didn't want to mention any names because I had absolutely zero knowledge of what transpired, however your synopsis seems to coincide with the cu post.

glad to hear it was corrected. as someone that has just purchased several wrapped boxes lately, naturally I was concerned.

thanks for the 411.