PDA

View Full Version : Any way to remove a bad autograph from a ball?

almostdone
03-08-2015, 08:42 PM
In my youth I purchased a "to good to be true" autographed ball that was obviously forged. I still have the ball and it is a nice white ball that seems to be a waste to throw away if it could be reused for a new autograph. My question is is there any way to remove, erase, or bleach out a autograph for a ball and then be able to reuse it for a new signature?
It is signed in blue ball point pen on an Official Rawlings AL ball. It is about 20 years old as well.
Any thoughts or is it just good to have an occational catch with?
Drew

MikeKam
03-08-2015, 09:55 PM
Mr. Clean Magic Eraser

vthobby
03-08-2015, 10:41 PM
Drew,

No chance. Use the ball outside for catch or BP and just buy a brand new white one for $20 or so. It is really not worth the hassle. I have had similar stories happen to me and even had a "bonus baby" sign some balls for me but he NEVER made the bigs.

At our house, we have the best and most expensive batting practice balls and its pretty cool! :)

Good luck,

Mike

packs
03-09-2015, 07:17 AM
The balls I see with signatures removed seemed to be buffed. It looks like someone carefully removed the first layer or two of leather surface where the signature was. This is visible though and always noted on LOAs.

egri
03-09-2015, 07:33 AM
I've heard about using nail polish remover, but I've never tried it so I can't comment on its effectiveness.

almostdone
03-09-2015, 01:44 PM
Thanks for the responses. If I was able to remove it it would only be to put another autograph in its place for my personal collection. I'm not concerned with a high value replacement but honestly just to have another ball handy to get signed if I happen to be somewhere to get a signature ie ballpark.
Drew