PDA

View Full Version : Marker bid wins

Runscott
03-06-2015, 09:34 AM
I recently won a Knute Rockne signed book for my marker bid. I was wondering if anyone else has ever put in a marker bid on something, then forgot about it, only to find out later that they had won? Horror stories? Great pick-ups?

When this has happened in the past, I always figured the other bidders knew something that I didn't…and it wasn't a good something.

drcy
03-06-2015, 11:53 AM
Items can go for minimum bid. I've won numerous items at min bid. Near the end of big auctions, I used to through all the lots with min bids to see if there were good deals left. I guess that made me a bottom feeder.

packs
03-06-2015, 12:20 PM
I placed the opening bid for this piece in a Huggins and Scott auction. I think it was like $250 bucks. Somehow no one else bid on it. And their auctions run for a while usually:

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m294/madjams/da1e8936-0d4c-4b77-894e-c7f6f5a87dff_zpsx4uqmuq5.jpg

Runscott
03-06-2015, 03:12 PM
I've won plenty of items for opening bid, but when I place a 'marker bid' I have no expectation of winning unless I come back and bid again.

packs
03-06-2015, 03:20 PM
I don't quite get the difference. I place an opening bid thinking I'll get outbid later, but since I've already bid I can still bid in extended time. Isn't that a marker bid?

Leon
03-06-2015, 03:51 PM
I have won a few marker, or very close to marker bids, before. Things I thought would go for a lot more and didn't.

Econteachert205
03-06-2015, 04:02 PM
I don't quite get the difference. I place an opening bid thinking I'll get outbid later, but since I've already bid I can still bid in extended time. Isn't that a marker bid?

It sounds like a marker bid is a bid meant as a reminder to go back later and up if necessary, while single minimum bids sound more like straight bargain hunting.

Runscott
03-06-2015, 04:11 PM
Yes Packs.

steve B
03-07-2015, 04:11 PM
Not many cards, and not usually old ones. I've won a few nice stamps with marker bids on Ebay. Especially when they're mislisted and/or end at bad times. Like a nice variety CV $500 listed as the regular version and ending easter morning at 8 AM EST from a seller in Norway. Yes, really. Opener was 40 and I was the only bidder.

I've had a few things go so cheap my typical marker of $5 has held up. It's always a pleasant surprise when it does.

The opposite is also true, There's stuff I've bid on at well over retail and had that bid blown away with 3 days to go- Not just out bid like a shill, but more like 3x a bid that was already 20% above retail.

Steve B

ooo-ribay
03-07-2015, 07:21 PM
When this has happened in the past, I always figured the other bidders knew something that I didn't…and it wasn't a good something.

I recently placed a bid only to ensure I continued to get catalogs from a particular auction house....it was a lot of ten, identical items and I can't get rid of the nine I don't need. :mad:

Runscott
03-08-2015, 12:14 PM
I recently placed a bid only to ensure I continued to get catalogs from a particular auction house....it was a lot of ten, identical items and I can't get rid of the nine I don't need. :mad:

Funny. I did the same thing once - was stunned to win five signed lithographs for my marker bid, which was about 1/2 of what they worth. They turned out to be facsimile signatures, which apparently other bidders had figured out. The auction house refunded my money and told me to keep them, so I made five people very happy by giving them each away over time.

ooo-ribay
03-09-2015, 04:51 PM
Funny.

Not really. ;)

Want to buy one or nine 1961 Willie Mays Chemstrand patches? :p