PDA

View Full Version : Fred Snodgrass 'Nodgrass batting version legit variation or not?

where the gold at?
03-05-2015, 11:54 AM
so i found this card while cleaning out the last of my sport card collection. I forgot i had this card, but anyhow, Do y'all consider the 'Nodgrass a legitimate variation of the T206 set? or is it just a T206 freak? Now i know i need to have it graded by PSA or SGC... what would this card be worth in todays market?

cheers,
Stefan

ullmandds
03-05-2015, 12:28 PM
I believe it is considered legit...and should be worth substantially more than the normal version.

Sean
03-05-2015, 02:13 PM
It looks real to me.

Sean
03-05-2015, 02:16 PM
It is not a variation IMO. It was a printing flaw, not a separate version of the Snodgrass.

Nonetheless, if it is real it should sell for more than $1,000 I think.

egbeachley
03-05-2015, 02:16 PM
I believe that since it wasn't a deliberate "correction or change" made to the card and just a print error or plate chipping or something similar, that it is no more a variation than a stray print line or ink color variance.

Sean
03-05-2015, 02:43 PM
Here's mine for comparison. Sorry about the poor quality scan.

Zach Wheat
03-05-2015, 02:52 PM
Here's mine for comparison. Sorry about the poor quality scan.

Sean,

Nice clean Nodgrass.

Z Wheat

iwantitiwinit
03-05-2015, 03:03 PM
I believe that since it wasn't a deliberate "correction or change" made to the card and just a print error or plate chipping or something similar, that it is no more a variation than a stray print line or ink color variance.

I guess it depends on how many exist. I asked a similar question about a Ewing card that appears to have a print modification. I don't see that theres any difference here. On the Ewings about 1 in 5 have a portion of the name obscured.

bbsports
03-05-2015, 03:50 PM
If some collectors think the nodgrass is a printing flaw, do you think that the Bud Shappe card is a printing flaw too?

MVSNYC
03-05-2015, 04:10 PM
Sean- I think I told you prior, that is my exact Nodgrass I bought in a hobby shop in Allentown, PA in 1991. I was the very first person to have a grading company slab this variation (that very flip you have, which is a circa 1998 flip). I sold it in a Leland's auction for $3k in 1999.

I think I sold it while it was at the pinnacle of it's value.

PS- authentic Nodgrass variations have a sliver of the "S", they are not totally void of an S.

ullmandds
03-05-2015, 04:18 PM
NO RECENT SALES ON VCP...5 yrs ago or so this was a 1K-1500 card in vf/vg-ex.

Sean
03-05-2015, 04:38 PM
Sean- I think I told you prior, that is my exact Nodgrass I bought in a hobby shop in Allentown, PA in 1991. I was the very first person to have a grading company slab this variation (that very flip you have, which is a circa 1998 flip). I sold it in a Leland's auction for $3k in 1999.

I think I sold it while it was at the pinnacle of it's value.

PS- authentic Nodgrass variations have a sliver of the "S", they are not totally void of an S.

I remember Mike. I bought it in 2004 or 2005 for $2,000.

Sean
03-05-2015, 04:40 PM
If some collectors think the nodgrass is a printing flaw, do you think that the Bud Shappe card is a printing flaw too?

Yes, SHAPPE is also a printing flaw. So is CPIGER and MURR'Y.

clydepepper
03-05-2015, 04:42 PM
I believe nodgrass is now legal for medical purposes in several states.

:rolleyes:

Pat R
03-05-2015, 04:57 PM

Nodgrass, Shappe and Murr'y are print flaws, the only error involved in
these cards was when they were cataloged as variations years ago.
There are dozens of these type of print flaws in the set here's a Davis that has AMEP instead of AMER I've seen five or six of these in the last couple
of years.

iwantitiwinit
03-05-2015, 05:15 PM
What about Ewing?

Jantz
03-05-2015, 09:11 PM
Don't forget Gilbert

Bpm0014
03-06-2015, 06:37 AM
I believe that the Harry Davis AMEP is pretty rare. I've seen 4 I think....

mrvster
03-07-2015, 01:00 PM
5 "hemphills" missing half h and e......I have been tracking these for almost 18 years and have seen about a dozen.....I will try to post a scan later....they have 3 different types of backs which is pretty neat, and that's why I collected them to show the correlation of backs in respect to print plate captions....

+1 to Pat.....

I will , at some date, list these "errors"......they are not really variations....simple print flaws that create the variation;)

magie, doyle, demmitt, ohara ect were designed to be changed intentionally by the printer....

mitchell, Griffith, hemphill, snodrass, murr'y, ect ect are all problems with the print plate that was worn down, broke, something got between it, ect...

they are very neat little print problems......seeing anything past 1 k each on these is a little high , imho......but to each his own.....:o:)....I do enjoy them....they are rare......but they just don't excite me as much....I guess they are just not dramatic enough for me....

now printer's scrap....on the other hand......different story:D