PDA

View Full Version : Getting your card Graded NEWBIE

Joshchisox08
03-05-2015, 10:39 AM
Can someone explain the process and fee's associated with getting your cards graded like you're explaining it to a moron ?

I went as far as filling out almost a whole sheet on SGC's website as they seem a lot cheaper and got a bit confused at the pricing when I added how much the cards were worth it looked like they were charging me a couple extra hundred bucks.

Does anyone submit for people also and care to explain how they do that ?

christopher.herman
03-05-2015, 11:08 AM
Don't bother. Save your money to buy more cards.

ZachS
03-05-2015, 11:26 AM
when I added how much the cards were worth it looked like they were charging me a couple extra hundred bucks.

Were any of the cards valued above $7500? Their website states that any card valued over $7500 requires "Immediate" level service at $200.

Joshchisox08
03-05-2015, 12:26 PM
I wish I had a card valued that high ! No they were a few poor to good t206's some Uncommons, some Commons. And a Ty Cobb strip card in poor shape.

ZachS
03-05-2015, 12:30 PM
The only thing I can think of is that maybe you entered something incorrectly. Maybe try it again and see what happens. If you get a similar result, I'd recommend calling SGC directly and getting them to work it out.

I've submitted cards using the SGC online submission form and never had problems like what you're stating.

Good luck!

xplainer
03-05-2015, 12:35 PM
SGC has a pretty good monthly special this month.
$7 per card with a 10 Business Day turn around.

I don't know how many you are atlking about, but you should be able to get 10 done for between 90 -100, including shipping and insurance.

Call and talk to them. Excellent customer serivce.

Joshchisox08
03-06-2015, 05:37 AM
@XPLAINER

Yeah I have about 10 cards that I want to get done 90-100 sounds about right and good for me. I think I will give them a call. Thanks !

Jobu
03-06-2015, 07:45 AM
Do the fees increase with the value of the card because it costs more for them to insure expensive cards when they ship them back?

03-06-2015, 07:48 AM
Unless you have a rare back, graded T206s are abundantly available in the BST, on eBay, or in other auctions. I would suggest replacing what you have with graded cards, and then selling off the raw cards.

glchen
03-06-2015, 01:44 PM
Do the fees increase with the value of the card because it costs more for them to insure expensive cards when they ship them back?

PSA and SGC have grading tiers where grading the cards is more expensive depending on the declared value of the card. Beckett has a flat grading fee regardless of the declared value of the card. The return shipping insurance for all TPG's will also depend on the total declared value of the submission.

Joshchisox08
03-06-2015, 04:48 PM
I was thinking of doing that but I've got a Fred Parent and a Terry Turner that might actually come back with a 3 or 4. The Parent is a Sovereign back and the Cobb strip card well It would just be better to have it Authenticated though I fully trust the guy who I bought it from in Cooperstown.

Leon
03-07-2015, 06:16 AM
SGC gives good phone service help if you have ANY questions on submitting to them. If you have questions call them and ask for Earl. He is a great guy to deal with.

mrvster
03-07-2015, 01:17 PM
+1....

grading, inmho, is a necessary "evil" inmho....:)

tiger8mush
03-07-2015, 01:38 PM
+1....

grading, inmho, is a necessary "evil" inmho....:)

I question grading being necessary for 10 low-grade commons. Is it necessary to spend $100 on $200 worth of cards? Personally I'd use the $100 to buy 5 more cards and fill a 15-pocket binder page :) If you've factored the cost of grading into your raw purchase price then perhaps you've already considered this.

Everyone collects different, good luck with whatever you decide Josh. Please show some before and after pictures!

Rob
:)

freakhappy
03-07-2015, 02:28 PM
I question grading being necessary for 10 low-grade commons. Is it necessary to spend $100 on $200 worth of cards? Personally I'd use the $100 to buy 5 more cards and fill a 15-pocket binder page :) If you've factored the cost of grading into your raw purchase price then perhaps you've already considered this.

Everyone collects different, good luck with whatever you decide Josh. Please show some before and after pictures!

Rob

:)

I agree with Rob. I collect graded cards, even low grade commons, but I buy them that way. I don't want to knock anyone if they send their low grade commons in, but value wise, it doesn't seem worth it.

Luke
03-07-2015, 03:35 PM
Yeah, don't send in low-grade commons. You already know they are real, and that they will grade low. For $100 you can buy a nice Eddie Collins or a Sam Crawford throwing. Way cooler than buying some plastic.

(But obviously you should do what makes you most happy. We're all different.)

mrvster
03-08-2015, 02:28 PM
Rob.....I should've meant for the upper tier/ higher grade cards..........commons really not worth it unless looking for uniformity.....I just like how the cards "pop" in the sgc holder with the black backgroung....