PDA

View Full Version : Removing signed pages from books

Runscott
03-03-2015, 10:02 AM
Please don't give me an internet crucifixion for asking this question :) as I am not yet guilty of anything, but…

It seems like inscribed books (signed blank page at front) often don't have as much value as a separate signed sheet/card/etc. I'm looking for thoughts on carefully removing an inscribed otherwise-blank page from the front of a book, for framing. It would be done in such a way that the page could easily be placed back in the book if necessary.

An alternative is to frame the book in a shadowbox so that only the signature is displayed, with a photo where the other side of the book is hidden behind the matting.

Exhibitman
03-03-2015, 11:09 AM
I've done it. In fact I just got a John Cleese from a book signing that I will be removing and having made into a custom card, like my Eric Idle. I wanted to read the book anyway, so I figure I got a great autograph for free!

I remove it as carefully as I can, then square up the ragged binding edge with a cutter I have at the office. When I decide what to do in terms of custom cards, etc., it is ready to go.

bgar3
03-03-2015, 11:33 AM
My preference is for the inscription to stay in the book, assuming it is an inscription, not just a signature. An alternative to framing, for a very nice and/or important book, would be to have a nice clamshell box made to protect it as well as describe what it is on the spine area for display purposes. Having said that, I admit to being a book guy and much prefer the sight of a row of books to a framed page and photo. Someone recently posted an inscribed page from the Spalding AMERICA'S NATIONAL GAME, my preference there would have also been to have the intact book on my shelf, but I can't argue with other people's tastes when it comes to collecting. Just speaking for myself, I would pay more for an inscribed book than i ever would for a page removed from it, no matter how nicely framed it was. (If you are thinking of selling it and it is an early baseball book let me know)

Runscott
03-03-2015, 12:04 PM
Thanks Adam,Bgar3 - very much appreciated.

Strange but true: I have a wonderful book of G.B. Shaw essays that has one of my favorite photos of him at the very front. For ages I wanted to remove the photo and frame it, but couldn't do it. Then one day it simply fell out of the book - I guess I read it too much. So I framed the photo for a few years, then slipped it back in the book.

Gary Dunaier
03-03-2015, 01:22 PM
My first thought was that the signed book should stay intact, but Exhibitman's comment about the John Cleese book made me realize that when it comes to newer books that aren't "collectible," that's a different story. And the benefit with newer books is that if you can attend the signing, you know the signature is real because you're witnessing it being done - but if you can't make it, you might be able to browse through a stock of signed books and find an autograph you like.

Runscott
03-03-2015, 04:05 PM
Gary, this is a 1925 first edition. I will almost certainly frame it in a shadowbox, intact.

steve B
03-05-2015, 10:53 AM
Gary, this is a 1925 first edition. I will almost certainly frame it in a shadowbox, intact.

I think that's the way to go.

For me it would really depend on the book and signature and condition.
A modern book that's readily available from a signing? Cut away.
A totally mangled copy of a book that happens to be signed, maybe with a nice signature? Probably also one to cut.

Older stuff that's still nice I think the combination is better than the individual bits.

It will make for a bit of challenging framing, but will probably be well worth the effort.

Steve B

Runscott
03-05-2015, 05:33 PM
Steve - see 'March pickups' for pics ('Coaching' by Rockne). The book arrived after my initial post and was too nice to mess with. I ended up just restoring the dust jacket and protecting the signed page.

bgar3
03-05-2015, 06:10 PM
Excellent decision, that is a great association copy.

Exhibitman
03-07-2015, 11:21 AM
My first thought was that the signed book should stay intact, but Exhibitman's comment about the John Cleese book made me realize that when it comes to newer books that aren't "collectible," that's a different story. And the benefit with newer books is that if you can attend the signing, you know the signature is real because you're witnessing it being done - but if you can't make it, you might be able to browse through a stock of signed books and find an autograph you like.

It really depends. About 20 years ago I was in NYC on vacation and stopped in at the Guggenheim soho. The main museum had just hosted a Roy Lichtenstein lifetime retrospective. I saw the catalogs for sale and asked if they had any signed ones. They did. For the same price as the unsigned. I got one and did not cut that out, which is good because the signed catalog sells for more than a cut signature.

And yes I wish I'd thought to buy every one they had.

steve B
03-07-2015, 04:19 PM
Steve - see 'March pickups' for pics ('Coaching' by Rockne). The book arrived after my initial post and was too nice to mess with. I ended up just restoring the dust jacket and protecting the signed page.

That's really nice!

Steve B