PDA

View Full Version : Gil Hodges Biography

BosseFieldBoy
03-01-2015, 05:47 PM
Can anyone recommend a good biography of Gil Hodges? I've found several published in the last 10 years, the most recent being Gil Hodges: A Hall of Fame Life by Mort Zachter. The other two main ones are Gil Hodges: The Brooklyn Bums, the Miracle Mets, and the Extraordinary Life of a Baseball Legend and Gil Hodges: The Quiet Man. Anyone have a preference?

Thanks!

almostdone
03-01-2015, 08:34 PM
I got the second one mentioned for this past Christmas but have only skimmed through it so far. I am working in a Clemente biography first.
If if helps I requested the Hodges book from a recommendation of another board member.
Drew

brian1961
03-01-2015, 09:44 PM
BosseFieldBoy---You more than likely have already read this, but if you haven't read Roger Kahn's classic, The Boys of Summer, there's a terrific chapter devoted to Gil Hodges.

The one I recently saw at Barnes & Noble looked very good, and may be the one by Zachter, as I cannot recall neither the title nor the author.

pclpads
03-02-2015, 11:57 AM
My latest read on Gil was, "Praying for Gil Hodges," by Oliphant, 2005. Not a straight bio, per se, but captures what it was like as a young boy coming of age in the mid-50's, notably 1955, when the Dodgers captured the hearts of America. The author and his Brooklynite family lived and died with the team. Much focus is on the 7th game of the series. Gives a vivid portrait of what it was like as a working class family living in Brooklyn in 1955 and Dodgers lived in the same 'hood . . . like that would ever occur today. :rolleyes: I thoroughly enjoyed it.

ibuysportsephemera
03-02-2015, 12:32 PM
My latest read on Gil was, "Praying for Gil Hodges," by Oliphant, 2005. Not a straight bio, per se, but captures what it was like as a young boy coming of age in the mid-50's, notably 1955, when the Dodgers captured the hearts of America. The author and his Brooklynite family lived and died with the team. Much focus is on the 7th game of the series. Gives a vivid portrait of what it was like as a working class family living in Brooklyn in 1955 and Dodgers lived in the same 'hood . . . like that would ever occur today. :rolleyes: I thoroughly enjoyed it.

+1...A great Book.

Jeff

dclarkraiders
03-03-2015, 04:58 PM
+1...A great Book.

Jeff

Praying for Gil Hodges is an outstanding book as previously indicated. Another great book is Wait 'Til Next Year by Doris Kearns Goodwin. It is not specifically about Gil but if you are a Dodgers fan it is a must read.

ibuysportsephemera
03-03-2015, 05:01 PM
Praying for Gil Hodges is an outstanding book as previously indicated. Another great book is Wait 'Til Next Year by Doris Kearns Goodwin. It is not specifically about Gil but if you are a Dodgers fan it is a must read.

Duane is correct...also a great read. I went to Rockville Centre schools and Doris Kearns Goodwin grew up in RVC.

Jeff

cdn_collector
03-06-2015, 08:42 PM
Was a little while now, but I've read 'Gil Hodges: The Quiet Man'. I haven't read any other Hodges bios, but really enjoyed this one once I got into it.

Cheers,

Richard.

jason.1969
03-07-2015, 11:49 AM
I also have only read the Quiet Man but thought it was terrific. Didn't even feel the need to read another after that. Were it not for my ex hoarding most of my stuff, I'd send you my copy for free.

brian1961
03-07-2015, 01:15 PM
This is off the beaten path, but nonetheless houses a little gem on Mr. Hodges by Tom Seaver.

HOW I WOULD PITCH TO BABE RUTH

Seaver Vs. The Sluggers

Written & Edited by Tom Seaver with Norman Lewis Smith

A Playboy Press Book - 1974

Seaver writes a few pages of introductory material that is very insightful, and filled with meaningful anecdotes. The four pages on Gil were excellent. The bulk of the book are chapters from books, magazine articles, or superb newspaper columns about that particular hitter. Many interesting chapters, including Ted Williams, Honus Wagner, Ty Cobb, Roberto Clemente, and Mickey Mantle.

Again, only four pages on Gil Hodges, but I think you'll hang onto every word from the articulate pen of his ace starting pitcher, the "franchise" of the team. --Brian Powell