PDA

View Full Version : My local auction house...

ullmandds
03-01-2015, 04:54 PM
My local auction house had some baseball cards this week so I just went to check them out. 4 graded t206 commons...a 55 bowman, 58 topps all star, 64 topps mantle...and a 33 goudey ruth being sold as is. I brought my loupe and my illuminated magnifier.

I left confident the ruth is fake...the others are likely real...but not worth my time!

Someone is going to get ripped off!

thescooper
03-01-2015, 08:32 PM
Tell the auctioneer I am sure he would be happy to know he is not selling fake stuff

Leon
03-02-2015, 04:16 PM
My local auction house had some baseball cards this week so I just went to check them out. 4 graded t206 commons...a 55 bowman, 58 topps all star, 64 topps mantle...and a 33 goudey ruth being sold as is. I brought my loupe and my illuminated magnifier.

I left confident the ruth is fake...the others are likely real...but not worth my time!

Someone is going to get ripped off!

I wouldn't doubt this kind of card gets sold as real almost every single day.

Jeffrompa
03-02-2015, 07:30 PM
Kinda scary ...

slidekellyslide
03-02-2015, 09:50 PM
Tell the auctioneer I am sure he would be happy to know he is not selling fake stuff

This ^

I have told the local auctioneers on several occasions when they are selling fake stuff. One did not like it so much. It was a consignment auction and I notified him beforehand that the dead mint 1950s Mickey Mantle cards he would be selling that night were fake, not only that but they were on a table loaded with fake flea marketeer junk including Civil War relics. He simply told me that auctions are buyer beware...so when the items came up for bid I just announced loudly that they were fakes...he gave me a death glare and then announced that he didn't know whether they were real or not and you take your own risk when bidding. I get along okay with this auctioneer, but he's definitely known as a snake around these parts.

Another auction house here in town actually seeks out my knowledge on sports memorabilia and I notified them that the autographs they were selling with Christopher Morales COA's were 100% fake they pulled the items from the auction. Another auction house uses me to assess collections of sports memorabilia (and collectible or antique toys) for divorces. Lucky me gets to make a court appearance on March 10th because the wife believes her husband's autograph collection (all without certs) and baseball cards are worth $50,000+...I assessed it at $3,000, and I think he'd be lucky to get that if it went to a local auction.

thescooper
03-02-2015, 11:00 PM
Kudos to you Sir.

Duluth Eskimo
03-03-2015, 08:44 PM
I guess someone thought they got a hell of a deal for $450. Smart to mix it in with the others. Look for it at the club show or Craigslist

chipperhank44
03-03-2015, 10:24 PM

I had this happen at a local auction in Dallas a couple years back. Two Goudey Ruth's and a '56 Mantle, all fake. The auctioneer couldn't have cared less. I was looking at it with a loupe and let all the others that were interested know it was fake. They were skeptical at first, thinking I was trying to get rid of the competition, but when I left the auction I saw most follow suit. Hate how some auctions are happy to hide behind their "sold as is" policies.

ullmandds
03-04-2015, 05:28 AM
The other cards...ie. mantles, t206's sold pretty cheap. Not sure if the mantles were real though?

Duluth Eskimo
03-04-2015, 01:47 PM
They appeared to be real at a glance on the web site, but I'm sure you'd agree that the Ruth smelled fishy right away. If you have PSA graded T-206's and a non graded Ruth Goudey, something's not right.