PDA

View Full Version : OT - Basketball Hall of Fame

bcbgcbrcb
02-28-2015, 11:48 AM
I realize that this subject is off topic for the main board but wanted to get as much visibility for feedback as possible. I am thinking of making a 2 1/2 drive to Springfield, MA this spring to see the Basketball Hall of Fame. For those of you who have been there before, tips, suggestions for a first-time attendee? I am a semi-serious basketball fan, not hardcore. Is it worth the drive for someone like me?

Mikehealer
02-28-2015, 12:06 PM
My family and I went last summer while on vacation. A colossal waste of time. We were driving from Hartford to Saratoga so it wasn't out of the way. I wouldn't recommend a visit to anyone.

DHogan
02-28-2015, 01:37 PM
I haven't been there in about 10 years or so. I live 2 hours from Springfield (Boston Ma.). Yes it was worth the ride. I'm not basketball fan. For a semi-serious fan. It's worth it.

scooter729
02-28-2015, 07:28 PM
It's very different than the Baseball HOF, in that much of the area is devoted to things like interactive displays and family activities like basketball nets for kids to shoot, etc. It's less of historical memorabilia in the way Cooperstown is, though there is some of that as well.

And, the HOF building is more just a building than a whole destination area, like the village of Cooperstown is. Maybe you can incorporate a trip to Six Flags nearby if you're up for an amusement park, but it's not an absolute must-see in my book.

vthobby
02-28-2015, 07:36 PM
Yes it is worth the trip. I went with my family (2 kids under 12) and they loved it! If you have any military connection you will be surprised with free entry!

There are all kinds of interactive exhibits and the best of all is at the end of the "tour" you end up on the ground floor where they have all kinds of basketball hoops from the early days to the present. The best part about this is that you can shoot hoops for hours if you want on all of the baskets! With my 2 kids it became an hour or so on the hoops. This tired them out for the ride home back to Vermont which was key! :D

Peace, Mike

Andy Sandler
02-28-2015, 09:08 PM
Hi Phil,
I love going to the Basketball Hall of Fame. I go every four months so I can see the new displays and I live about 1.5 hours away. My main interest, though, is Pre-1950 Pro basketball and they are very limited in that regard. I have even visited their library on several occasions which was disappointing, too. That said, though, it is a great family event and wonderful for the young fan, post 1950 collector, and lover of the game.
Regards, Andy Sandler andy@allsportsauctions.com

Jewish-collector
02-28-2015, 09:48 PM
If you are somewhat looking for a basketball history museum, I would highly recommend visiting the Indiana Basketball Hall of Fame in New Castle, Indiana, mking a side trip on your way to or from the Chicago National. It is mainly Indiana's high school and college basketball history and it is more of a museum rather than interactive displays/games.

bcbgcbrcb
03-01-2015, 12:17 AM
Sounds good, thanks for the input, guys. Anyone else been there and like to share your experience?

Bpm0014
03-01-2015, 12:21 AM
Terrible. Don't waste your money. Definitely not worth the time.

clydepepper
03-01-2015, 12:25 AM
I'm not a big BKB fan so I've never been to that hof....besides, I heard they taxidermyed Manute Bole for a display...and that's just not right.

vthobby
03-01-2015, 08:00 AM
Phil,

Check out this link and see some actual constructive comments about the Hall.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g60968-d103003-Reviews-Basketball_Hall_of_Fame-Springfield_Massachusetts.html

At this site, when someone does not like something they actually tell you why which is basically what you asked for.

Take the plunge. It's a good time especially if you have kids and if you enjoy basketball.

Peace, Mike

bcbgcbrcb
03-01-2015, 10:09 AM
Mike:

Thanks for the link, that was extremely helpful. I'm planning a triangular trip from NJ to Springfield and then on to Cooperstown and then back home. The first two legs of the trip will be about 2 1/2 hours each and the trip back home is around 3 1/2. I always love my visits to Cooperstown so even if Springfield isn't the greatest, it will still be a memorable trip. Now I just need to get out to Canton, OH the next time that the National Show is in Cleveland, only about an hour from there. Anybody care to comment on their Football Hall of Fame experience?

vthobby
03-01-2015, 10:43 AM
Phil,

I agree, there is no equal to Cooperstown. It is hallowed ground as far as I'm concerned. Quick note about Springfield compared to Cooperstown. Go to the hoops HOF but don't expect to walk leisurely around and enjoy the neighborhood like Cooperstown. You will know what I mean when you get there! :cool:

They have helped folks a bit by having a walking mall with food court as part of the basketball hall of fame so you can eat and shop a little right there without having to go outside.

Have fun. Nothing better than a road trip!

Peace, mike

vintagebrett
03-01-2015, 12:10 PM
I live about 20 minutes from the Basketball HOF and head up there a few times a year - my 6 and 3 year old enjoy the interactive experience - it's not overwhelming and easy to see in a hour or two. The prices can be a little steep but usually you can find discounted tickets from a variety of sources - Groupon just had one that was a good deal with tickets about $10 a person - it may still be active.

If you plan on going just once, it's worth stopping in. They don't change the displays very often (if ever) but there are some neat historical items upstairs. There is a large amount of different uniforms from all eras that are fun to look at. As others have mentioned, it's not the Baseball Hall of Fame but it still can be fun.

The Hall has a few restaurants attached that are good - Plan B is a good burger place and Max's Tavern has a nice menu as well. Best bet is to drive about 1/4 mile to Frigo's - long running Italian deli where you have a lot of good, cheap options to fill up your stomach. As I mentioned, the Hall doesn't take that long to see so if you have time to kill, I'd recommend the Lyman & Merrie Wood Museum of Springfield History. I'm not a motorcycle guy but they have impressive collection of Indian Motorcycle artifacts plus other local historical items - fairly inexpensive and well maintained museum.