PDA

View Full Version : I need to hear some good news.

Pages : [1] 2

DHogan
02-27-2015, 07:09 PM
It's been a rough couple of weeks for my wife and I. I'd like to hear some good (happy) news from anyone. Anything and everything. :) Thanks !

clydepepper
02-27-2015, 08:41 PM
It's been a rough couple of weeks for my wife and I. I'd like to hear some good (happy) news from anyone. Anything and everything. :) Thanks !

Kimbrel's working on a changeup!

check out any Brian Regan video (several on YouTube) - laughter is always good medicine.

- I'll keep y'all in my thoughts too!

-Raymond

clydepepper
02-27-2015, 08:46 PM
Two cannibals were eating a clown when one of them asks, "Does this taste funny to you?"

Thanks, I'll be here all week.

DHogan
02-28-2015, 12:26 AM
Kimbrel's working on a changeup!

check out any Brian Regan video (several on YouTube) - laughter is always good medicine.

- I'll keep y'all in my thoughts too!

-Raymond

Thank you.

DHogan
02-28-2015, 12:30 AM
Two cannibals were eating a clown when one of them asks, "Does this taste funny to you?"

Thanks, I'll be here all week.

If a vegetarian eats animal crackers. Are they still vegetarians ?

TUM301
02-28-2015, 06:57 AM
Hey Dave some good news is you guys in the Hub should actually see some 40 degree days this week and us western mass`ers close to it. Also it`s day lights savings time next sat so before you know it the 2 of you will be "experiencing" 'tourists", cape traffic, it`s wicked hot out, is the T running yet, and of course another roller coaster Red Sox season. Hang in there...... !

steve B
02-28-2015, 08:29 AM
is the T running yet,

We've been asking that since they started phasing out the old PCC cars on the green line in the 70's. :D

Yes, the weather looks to be the best news of the week. I'm enjoying the upper 20's already, 40's would be fantastic.

Good news? When I fell on the ice Wednesday night it was just a strain. could have been way worse.

Steve B

pariah1107
02-28-2015, 09:16 AM
Travis Kvapils' stolen NASCAR was found by police. Seriously, how redneck is it to get your Sprint Cup car stolen from a motel parking lot? This story writes itself....:D

http://espn.go.com/racing/nascar/cup/story/_/id/12397756/georgia-police-find-travis-kvapil-stolen-team-xtreme-no-44-car

....and it's the weekend!

DHogan
02-28-2015, 09:26 AM
Hey Dave some good news is you guys in the Hub should actually see some 40 degree days this week and us western mass`ers close to it. Also it`s day lights savings time next sat so before you know it the 2 of you will be "experiencing" 'tourists", cape traffic, it`s wicked hot out, is the T running yet, and of course another roller coaster Red Sox season. Hang in there...... !

40 degree weather would be great. It will melt some of these 5'-6' snow piles. The T is trying to get back to normal sevice. Last I heard, they said full service will be restored by the end of MARCH ! The commuter rails are much worse off I guess.

egri
02-28-2015, 12:01 PM
It's almost March, so the weather has got to start warming up soon.

This (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7rPIg7ZNQ8), and this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcnFbCCgTo4)

CW
02-28-2015, 01:16 PM
http://www.goodmood-news.com/

http://www.sunnyskyz.com/good-news

and if you like dogs...

http://twistedsifter.com/2015/01/heartwarming-before-and-after-photos-of-adopted-dogs/

digdugdig
02-28-2015, 01:35 PM
I hear Pablo Sandoval lost a couple pounds!!

DHogan
02-28-2015, 01:45 PM
All great stuff. Keep them coming. Thanks :)

grainsley
03-01-2015, 08:14 AM
PETE CARROLL LEAVING THE SEAHAWKS!

Pete Carroll, head coach of the Seattle Seahawks, is reported to be very near to signing on as a special consultant to The Pope in Vatican City. The Pope looks to recruit Carroll to be a spokesman for the Catholic Church because he is the first man in history that made 100 million people jump up and yell "Jesus Christ!" at the same time.

More information will be reported as details emerge………

7nohitter
03-01-2015, 03:33 PM
Hi Dave,

Live not too far from Boston, watching more snow fall as I write this, BUT the Sox play BC and Northeastern this week....to me, this game has ALWAYS signaled the 'official' start of the baseball season!

Let's hope Ortiz can keep his damn feet in the box!

Take care,
Andrew

DHogan
03-01-2015, 04:11 PM
Hi Dave,

Live not too far from Boston, watching more snow fall as I write this, BUT the Sox play BC and Northeastern this week....to me, this game has ALWAYS signaled the 'official' start of the baseball season!

Let's hope Ortiz can keep his damn feet in the box!

Take care,
Andrew

I saw some where that Ortiz wasn't happy with the new rule to speed the games up. :rolleyes:

GrayGhost
03-02-2015, 05:59 AM
It's almost March, so the weather has got to start warming up soon.

This (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7rPIg7ZNQ8), and this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcnFbCCgTo4)

:)agreed. I don't have jokes, but pitchers and catchers have reportted and soon the smell of grass, hot dogs and the crack of the bat will make you smile. People on here are awesome when folks are having bad times. I know from personal experience. GOD and your friends wil help.

SmokyBurgess
03-02-2015, 07:36 AM

Try www.bbnradio.org

clydepepper
03-02-2015, 04:43 PM
Termite walks into a bar and says, "Where is your bar tender?"

DHogan
03-16-2015, 05:53 PM
Come on guys. I really need to hear more good news. :o

Econteachert205
03-16-2015, 06:12 PM
As a teacher I can tell you that the kids I have seem to get nicer and nicer every year. Not necessarily smarter, but nicer. There's always hope in youth.

egri
03-16-2015, 06:26 PM
The snow is melting, the new season of House of Cards is the best one yet, and after last season, the only way the Sox can go is up.

Leon
03-17-2015, 10:08 AM
Come on guys. I really need to hear more good news. :o

It's starting to dry out in N.Texas (yea), but the rains are coming back.....which means our low lake levels will be helped. So, it's a win-win!!...sort of

Runscott
03-17-2015, 01:50 PM
My girlfriend didn't get the termite joke. I had to tell her that termites eat wood and bars are made of wood. It was funnier than the actual joke.

Good: Office Depot didn't have the bubble mailers I needed, so they gave me over 50% off on something that was close.

Good: I held a puppy the other day and decided I needed to get another dog.

Good: About to have a pot of my favorite tea and will also get to meet my girlfriend for lunch. Whoop!

Good: free refill at new coffee shop.

gregr2
03-17-2015, 02:04 PM
I've been to two Spring Training games so far. Three more to go. Going to see the Cardinals and Mets on Friday. Then on Sunday going to the Pirates and Astros. Then the following Friday going to see the Marlins and Astros! Yay for spring baseball!

DHogan
03-17-2015, 07:28 PM
Thanks guys. :)

digdugdig
03-18-2015, 10:27 AM
From my sister's sent birthday card I learned that the origin of the Irish Jig goes way back to an ole Irish tavern that served free beer but had no restrooms!!

clydepepper
03-26-2015, 06:23 PM

DHogan
04-03-2015, 06:20 PM
Anyone have anything new, fun or exciting going on ? ;)

billyb
04-04-2015, 04:12 AM
Dave,
I volunteer at a local Genealogy Society helping people research their families. I have been approached by the local Junior High School, that the History Club wished to research their families. So for the last month or so, I have been meeting with this History Club and teaching them how to research their families, mainly through the free sources that are available.
I have been pleasantly surprised that these kids are excited about doing their research. When they randomly yell out "I found my great grandfather", is very rewarding. Sparking their interest in their family history and what involvement their family may have had in shaping our towns, counties or countries histories, will certainly perk their interest when it comes time for them to study about our countries events.
We do our work in the school library, and at one of our sessions, several kids had to serve their detentions in the library. After the session was over, a couple of the kids serving their detentions, approached me about researching family histories. These kids are curious, they want to know about their family's past. This has turned out to be a very rewarding program. And it is something anyone can do with their children.

DHogan
04-04-2015, 11:01 AM
Dave,
I volunteer at a local Genealogy Society helping people research their families. I have been approached by the local Junior High School, that the History Club wished to research their families. So for the last month or so, I have been meeting with this History Club and teaching them how to research their families, mainly through the free sources that are available.
I have been pleasantly surprised that these kids are excited about doing their research. When they randomly yell out "I found my great grandfather", is very rewarding. Sparking their interest in their family history and what involvement their family may have had in shaping our towns, counties or countries histories, will certainly perk their interest when it comes time for them to study about our countries events.
We do our work in the school library, and at one of our sessions, several kids had to serve their detentions in the library. After the session was over, a couple of the kids serving their detentions, approached me about researching family histories. These kids are curious, they want to know about their family's past. This has turned out to be a very rewarding program. And it is something anyone can do with their children.

Bill, very cool. It's good to hear that young kids are still interested in some history.

t206blogcom
04-06-2015, 10:27 AM
In less than 2 weeks our new home will be finished!

DHogan
04-06-2015, 05:59 PM
In less than 2 weeks our new home will be finished!

Nice ! :)

DHogan
05-04-2015, 01:45 PM
It's been a while since anyone had some good news to share. I just got home to find an unexpected package in the mail from a small non-sports company called RR Parks Cards. They sent me a freebie collectors kit from the 2014-2015 Chronicals of the Three Stooges. It contains promos from all four series and a complete 6 card subset of film cell relic cards. Good stuff. Yes, my wife thinks I'm nuts too. :p. They also produce other sets of monster cards. I'm looking forward to their 3rd and 4th series from the sets. Hopefully, it will help kick me back into working on my older sports card sets. :)

jerrys
05-08-2015, 10:12 PM
Blame. Deny. Betray. Divide. A lie. The truth. Which one shall I use?

You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone. Al Capone

billyb
05-08-2015, 11:23 PM
Dave,
Weather is warming up, have my boat in the water, and will be out there fishing for some bass, perch, bluegill and other pan fish. Occasionally a Pike will come by, they are a lot of fun, but very boney to eat.
Do you do any fishing Dave? That cures all ailments. Getting a hold of a five pound Bass is a lot of fun. But better yet, is getting about 30 or 40 perch. Not only a fun day, but a great meal. A little egg and Italian bread crumbs, fry them puppies up and a little lemon juice over the top, and what a meal.
Dave, if you live close to Michigan, come for a visit, we will do some fishing, a couple of cold beverages a lot of stories and later, the hammock will soothe away the rest of what troubles you. Then guess what, we can do it all over again the next day.
This is God's Country, pure and simple. By the way, we have only three traffic lights in town. So all troubles are far behind, in them big cities, caught up in all that traffic.

Bill

Leon
05-09-2015, 07:19 AM
Anyone have anything new, fun or exciting going on ? ;)

no

sporteq
05-09-2015, 01:32 PM
I save 15% on Geico insurance by switching.

Albert

DHogan
05-09-2015, 07:36 PM
Dave,
Weather is warming up, have my boat in the water, and will be out there fishing for some bass, perch, bluegill and other pan fish. Occasionally a Pike will come by, they are a lot of fun, but very boney to eat.
Do you do any fishing Dave? That cures all ailments. Getting a hold of a five pound Bass is a lot of fun. But better yet, is getting about 30 or 40 perch. Not only a fun day, but a great meal. A little egg and Italian bread crumbs, fry them puppies up and a little lemon juice over the top, and what a meal.
Dave, if you live close to Michigan, come for a visit, we will do some fishing, a couple of cold beverages a lot of stories and later, the hammock will soothe away the rest of what troubles you. Then guess what, we can do it all over again the next day.
This is God's Country, pure and simple. By the way, we have only three traffic lights in town. So all troubles are far behind, in them big cities, caught up in all that traffic.

Bill

Bill, Thanks for posting this. I'm from Massachusetts. I used to fish. Never really caught anything. I did drown a lot of worm though. :eek: I never knew of anyone eating bluegill. They don't get too big around here. I went ice fishing one time in northern Vermont and caught some pike. It was pretty wild seeing the shiners trying to swim up out of the hole and then have a 18" pike take a line. I liked going salt water fishing. I caught a few nice cod backing the mid 70's.

DHogan
05-09-2015, 07:38 PM
no

There's always tomorrow Leon.

DHogan
06-21-2015, 08:24 AM
It's been a while since anyone has posted some good news. Let's hear some !

wazoo
06-28-2015, 04:47 PM
Adrian isn't on the board anymore...so we think...

wazoo
06-28-2015, 04:49 PM
OH OH OH! I have some good news! I graduated two fridays ago!!! I'm going off to college, (The University of Vermont), I just had my orientation and met fellow engineers that I will be working with. I also have been playing a lot of American Legion baseball. I'm finally getting my change up to have some movement on it. All good stuff!

DHogan
06-28-2015, 06:34 PM
OH OH OH! I have some good news! I graduated two fridays ago!!! I'm going off to college, (The University of Vermont), I just had my orientation and met fellow engineers that I will be working with. I also have been playing a lot of American Legion baseball. I'm finally getting my change up to have some movement on it. All good stuff!

That's all great news. Enjoy the summer while you can.

pawpawdiv9
06-30-2015, 05:04 PM
Todays my B-day, and only Net54 cared to send me a email!

No matter how little i do, I always feels i could do less.

DHogan
06-30-2015, 06:40 PM
Todays my B-day, and only Net54 cared to send me a email!

No matter how little i do, I always feels i could do less.

Happy birthday.

egri
07-01-2015, 08:41 PM
OH OH OH! I have some good news! I graduated two fridays ago!!! I'm going off to college, (The University of Vermont), I just had my orientation and met fellow engineers that I will be working with.

What discipline of engineering are you headed into? I'm in Industrial and Systems Engineering, a few states south of you at URI. I knew an engineer who had gone to UVM (I want to say he was Mechanical) and was able to retire at 54.

DHogan
08-03-2015, 05:59 PM
It's been a while. I would like to hear some good news that anyone has to share. Thanks !

Runscott
08-04-2015, 09:46 AM
I picked 7 tomatoes yesterday! I have 12 different varieties producing and really enjoying my first garden.

bnorth
08-04-2015, 11:18 AM
I picked 7 tomatoes yesterday! I have 12 different varieties producing and really enjoying my first garden.

Now that is some great news. Not much better than a fresh picked tomato. Here the outside gardeners are just starting to get ripe tomatoes. As a inside grower I have had them for close to 2 months.:D

Runscott
08-04-2015, 12:49 PM
Our gardening season got started early this year and I took advantage - normally we wouldn't have ripe tomatoes until August. I've already pulled several Japanese eggplants and yellow squash and hoping the collard greens work out.

Favorite tomato so far is the Black Krim with Mr. Stripey a close second.

Another good thing: we adopted a 1.5-2 yr old black and tan coonhound three months ago. He's a very lovable dog. He has some issues that I'm not solving very well, but he's about to go back to a professional trainer, so we are looking forward to a lovable AND manageable dog. As you have mentioned (Ben), rescues don't forget that they have been rescued, but I'll add that it's good to let the dog pick you out at the shelter - if you are paying attention, there will be at least one that informs you that you should be his new companion.

packs
08-04-2015, 02:08 PM
Just found out a few days ago that my comic strip is getting published by ths magazine called Palooka next year.

pariah1107
08-04-2015, 02:19 PM
Shelter animals are my first and only choice for pets.

The Whiskey Dick triathlon last weekend was an awesome time with friends. I finished the one mile Columbia River swim in 18:56 almost 30 seconds faster than two years ago , and was fourth overall out of the water. Our three man relay finished second in our age group 40-45; a nearly one hour improvement from our last effort :) (no event last year due to water level problems from the Colockum Dam). Here's my daughter at the Vantage boat launch before the swim.... "Are you sure you want to do this?"

http://i1074.photobucket.com/albums/w415/pariah1107/Blustery%20Columbia_zpscsezi9rs.jpg

bnorth
08-04-2015, 05:39 PM
Our gardening season got started early this year and I took advantage - normally we wouldn't have ripe tomatoes until August. I've already pulled several Japanese eggplants and yellow squash and hoping the collard greens work out.

Favorite tomato so far is the Black Krim with Mr. Stripey a close second.

Another good thing: we adopted a 1.5-2 yr old black and tan coonhound three months ago. He's a very lovable dog. He has some issues that I'm not solving very well, but he's about to go back to a professional trainer, so we are looking forward to a lovable AND manageable dog. As you have mentioned (Ben), rescues don't forget that they have been rescued, but I'll add that it's good to let the dog pick you out at the shelter - if you are paying attention, there will be at least one that informs you that you should be his new companion.

My last 3 shelter dogs picked me. We had a St Bernard for 13 years, a Rottweiler for 13 years, and our current Pitbull for close to 2 years now.

When getting our current dog I did not want a small dog(under 100 lbs) or a pitbull. Well now we have a 75 lb Pitbull named Bubba that sad puppy eyed me into adopting him and I am darn glad he did.

Runscott
08-04-2015, 06:12 PM
My last 3 shelter dogs picked me. We had a St Bernard for 13 years, a Rottweiler for 13 years, and our current Pitbull for close to 2 years now.

When getting our current dog I did not want a small dog(under 100 lbs) or a pitbull. Well now we have a 75 lb Pitbull named Bubba that sad puppy eyed me into adopting him and I am darn glad he did.

Yes, if you let them adopt you, you will generally end up with something you didn't plan on. My plan was a 40-50 pound Australian Shepherd or Border Collie - my last dog, Angie, was a 75 pound lovable hound that I carried quite a bit for the last four years of her life, so this time I wanted a dog that would be easy to handle when it got old. So I brought home a 90 pound Coonhound puppy :eek:

I blame it on David, as he was there with me and didn't tell me not to. Bad David.

DHogan
08-04-2015, 06:23 PM

I've never cared for tomatoes. My wife loves them.

Runscott
08-04-2015, 06:33 PM
I love them, but from a practical standpoint - many of my recipes call for tomato sauce, and there is nothing better than home-made. I have 15 plants, hoping they go crazy so that I can make enough sauce to fill the freezer. I really don't care for the stuff in the cans.

My girlfriend does not usually like tomatoes, but she has been eating these every time I bring them into the house. They are quite different from what you get in a store, as in - they have flavor.

DHogan
08-04-2015, 06:46 PM
There was a story in yesterdays paper that there will be a bumper crop of apples in New England this year. I hope the huge storm with hail today didn't ruin that prediction.

My wife won't let me have a dog. We live in a very small apartment.

Congratulations on the comic strip getting published.

DHogan
08-04-2015, 06:47 PM
Thank you all for posting. I hope more people will do the same.

bnorth
08-04-2015, 07:19 PM
My wife won't let me have a dog.

I have always found it is much easier to get forgiven than get permission from the wife.;)

egri
08-04-2015, 10:30 PM
This link that Steve B posted in the autograph section was pretty funny: http://www.ebaumsworld.com/pictures/view/84680172/

bnorth
08-05-2015, 04:23 PM
This is about as good news as possible as a collector. A fellow member sent me all these wonderful cards for absolutely free. It was a medium flat rate box completely full. The only negative is now I have a little over 100 different 55 Bowman cards and am getting the itch to jut finish the set.:D

To the wonderful gentleman that sent me the cards. Thank you very much.

DHogan
08-05-2015, 07:10 PM
I have always found it is much easier to get forgiven than get permission from the wife.;)

My wife threatens to kill me when I do stuff like that. I keep wondering if she would do me in some day. :eek:

freakhappy
08-08-2015, 11:56 PM
Hey Dave...hope you're feeling better these days :)

Nothing special, but I did complete my first pre-war set a few months ago...the T201 set. I first started in the middle of 2011, so it was a small journey for me and I'm very happy with the end result :cool: I'm pushing towards a few sets that will take a bit longer, but the journey is where all the fun is, right? I'm hoping the real fun starts in the next five years or so...when my boys are in the 10-12 yr old range and maybe, just maybe, they will get into collecting also. I will support whatever hobby they choose, but I can't help but to push them a little towards this great hobby that we all share :D

DHogan
08-09-2015, 07:21 AM
Hey Dave...hope you're feeling better these days :)

Nothing special, but I did complete my first pre-war set a few months ago...the T201 set. I first started in the middle of 2011, so it was a small journey for me and I'm very happy with the end result :cool: I'm pushing towards a few sets that will take a bit longer, but the journey is where all the fun is, right? I'm hoping the real fun starts in the next five years or so...when my boys are in the 10-12 yr old range and maybe, just maybe, they will get into collecting also. I will support whatever hobby they choose, but I can't help but to push them a little towards this great hobby that we all share :D

Mike, I appreciate the kind thoughts. I've haven't tried to build a pre-war set. Yet :p It's nice to see people responding to the topic. It all helps. :)

Runscott
08-10-2015, 02:49 PM
More good news. I never talk with my sister who lives in Portland, but decided to give her a call yesterday. Turns out she is good friends with the dog trainer who we had thought about using for our coonhound Bedlam...I mean 'Bailey'.

Also, the sun gold tomatoes yielded their first ripe tomatoes the other day, and my girlfriend loves them. She had been buying expensive baskets of yellow cherry tomatoes, so I decided to plant a couple of sun golds. I earned some points for my next bout of bad behavior :)

pawpawdiv9
08-13-2015, 07:36 AM
Wheaties flavored beer!!!!
#thisissowrong
BREAKFAST OF CHAMPIONS!!!!!
I watched my morning news as they advertised this limited offer #Fox5News

DHogan
08-13-2015, 08:42 AM
Wheaties flavored beer!!!!
#thisissowrong
BREAKFAST OF CHAMPIONS!!!!!
I watched my morning news as they advertised this limited offer #Fox5News

That is just so wrong, in so many ways. :eek:

DHogan
04-05-2016, 07:02 PM
It's been a while since anyone has shared some good news. How about it folks.

clydepepper
04-09-2016, 07:13 PM
I'm going to be a great uncle (I guess that will be my title when my nephew's wife gives birth (hoping for a lefty)) in June & I didn't have to do anything...

However, I have been mailing a lot of Babies-are-Us gift cards lately.

Jantz
04-10-2016, 04:32 PM
I recently made a modern card trade on another website with a collector who needed some help with a set and since I had a few cards that he needed, we struck up a trade. When I received my cards in the mail, I noticed that one of the cards was a variation and worth about $20 more than the card I originally traded for. After messaging the collector to the mix up and offering to make up the difference, he replied with "Its only cardboard, enjoy the card!.

I thought it was a nice gesture from another collector whom I've never met and this was our first trade.

DHogan
04-11-2016, 12:06 PM
Congrats uncle. :) One of my nephews became an uncle when he was 6 years old. His step sister or something like that. So I guess that made me a great uncle at 30. :eek:

herbc
05-16-2016, 11:22 PM
I like this. Enjoy:)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OFzXaFbxDcM

DHogan
05-17-2016, 01:05 PM

Yeah that helped. I go thru a whole 20 seconds of it. :D

Thanks everyone.

Stonepony
05-22-2016, 07:07 AM

I tried to stop watching that.... but couldn't :eek:

pawpawdiv9
05-22-2016, 02:57 PM
https://sp.yimg.com/xj/th?id=OIP.Mb716c428614ae2bf92a1497af36b1f12H0&pid=15.1&P=0&w=300&h=300

DHogan
10-01-2016, 06:02 PM
It's been a while since anyone posted some good news. What's up ? :D;)

EvilKing00
10-02-2016, 06:33 AM
i dont normally share personal info but, we just found out my wife is pregnant with our 2nd child & its a girl this time! :D

DHogan
10-02-2016, 05:46 PM
i dont normally share personal info but, we just found out my wife is pregnant with our 2nd child & its a girl this time! :D

Congratulations !

KCRfan1
10-03-2016, 06:49 PM
I'm in remission for 9 months now, and just finished as an Honor patient for LLS in KC Light The Night Walk.

Had 6K walkers, and raised over $800k!

DHogan
10-03-2016, 06:55 PM
I'm in remission for 9 months now, and just finished as an Honor patient for LLS in KC Light The Night Walk.

Had 6K walkers, and raised over $800k!

Nice ! :D

10-04-2016, 07:54 AM
My wife and I are expecting our first child, a boy, by the end of this year. We have been married (and trying) over 10 years, and finally got to the point where we thought it would never happen. But, God blessed us like He always does and I believe His timing is better than ours could ever be! The only bad news (not really) is that I'm selling my collection to help out, but I'm glad to do it.

EvilKing00
10-04-2016, 12:51 PM
My wife and I are expecting our first child, a boy, by the end of this year. We have been married (and trying) over 10 years, and finally got to the point where we thought it would never happen. But, God blessed us like He always does and I believe His timing is better than ours could ever be! The only bad news (not really) is that I'm selling my collection to help out, but I'm glad to do it.

Thats awesome! Congrats!!

DHogan
10-04-2016, 05:57 PM
My wife and I are expecting our first child, a boy, by the end of this year. We have been married (and trying) over 10 years, and finally got to the point where we thought it would never happen. But, God blessed us like He always does and I believe His timing is better than ours could ever be!

Congratulations !

DHogan
10-09-2016, 09:43 AM
Thank you to all the members that post in this topic. It's helped me in a good way to hear some real time good news. With all the stuff that my wife has been going thru the past 6 years due to complications from chronic progressive Multiple Sclerosis. She has been dealing with MS for 28 years. We were told yesterday that she needs to be on a ventilator permanently and 24/7 nursing care. Any prayers and kind thoughts will help us both.

Best regards,
Dave Hogan

bnorth
10-09-2016, 08:53 PM
Thank you to all the members that post in this topic. It's helped me in a good way to hear some real time good news. With all the stuff that my wife has been going thru the past 6 years due to complications from chronic progressive Multiple Sclerosis. She has been dealing with MS for 28 years. We were told yesterday that she needs to be on a ventilator permanently and 24/7 nursing care. Any prayers and kind thoughts will help us both.

Best regards,
Dave Hogan

I wish you and your Wife the best.:)

bnorth
10-09-2016, 08:56 PM
For some good news I am on vacation and this is the view off the upper deck.

DHogan
10-10-2016, 09:47 AM
I wish you and your Wife the best.:)

Thank you.

PolarBear
10-10-2016, 11:27 PM

Best regards,
Dave Hogan

Very sorry to hear about your wife. I had a friend with MS and saw how terrible this disease is first hand. Best wishes for your family.

DHogan
10-11-2016, 06:03 PM
Thanks guys. She's doing a little better today. I'll take what ever she can do.

DHogan
07-15-2017, 10:29 PM
Anyone have something to tell us ?

KCRfan1
07-16-2017, 06:55 AM
I am still in remission from lymphoma, and was moved to a 6 month follow-up after every 90 days the first year after my last chemo treatment.

My next follow-up is in January, after the follow-up I had earlier this week, and will have a scan done to check for any traces of lymphoma that may have shown back up.

The scan is routine, and done 2 years after the last chemo treatment ( December 2015 ).

Dave, I am hoping that you, your wife, family, and friends are all well and hanging in there.

DHogan
07-16-2017, 12:47 PM
That's great new Lou. We're just taking it one day at a time here.

EvilKing00
07-22-2017, 08:11 PM
hey dave, i do hope you and your wife are doing will. my thoughts and prayers are with u guys.

just to add a follow up to my 1st good news post - the wife gave birth in april- the delivery was awful, but it all turned out great. My baby girl (2ed child) is now 3.5 months old and healthy!

DHogan
07-22-2017, 09:13 PM
hey dave, i do hope you and your wife are doing will. my thoughts and prayers are with u guys.

just to add a follow up to my 1st good news post - the wife gave birth in april- the delivery was awful, but it all turned out great. My baby girl (2ed child) is now 3.5 months old and healthy!

Congratulations on the baby. What did you name her ?

EvilKing00
07-25-2017, 12:36 PM
Congratulations on the baby. What did you name her ?

Julia

DHogan
07-25-2017, 06:25 PM
Love that name.

DHogan
01-31-2018, 11:15 PM
It's been a while since anyone has any good news updates. :)

joshuanip
02-01-2018, 10:44 PM
Hi Dave,

My father is close to 70 and is legally blind in one eye. He had symptoms of macular degeneration which could spread into both eyes. Freaked me out because my dad is my best friend and my mom depends on him so. Went in and found out that he had a leak in his eyeball. While not reversible also not degenerable with surgery and won’t spread to his other eye. Doesn’t sound like it but great news.

packs
02-02-2018, 10:07 AM
I will have my second short story appear in print sometime in the spring. Received the good news today.

DHogan
02-02-2018, 01:54 PM
Hi Dave,

My father is close to 70 and is legally blind in one eye. He had symptoms of macular degeneration which could spread into both eyes. Freaked me out because my dad is my best friend and my mom depends on him so. Went in and found out that he had a leak in his eyeball. While not reversible also not degenerable with surgery and won’t spread to his other eye. Doesn’t sound like it but great news.

Joshua, good to hear that. My mother depends on my father. Makes it hard on both of them as my father has no patients.

DHogan
02-02-2018, 01:55 PM
I will have my second short story appear in print sometime in the spring. Received the good news today.

Great stuff. Congratulations.

DHogan
09-20-2019, 11:23 PM
Packs, Did you get your story published ?

DHogan
03-26-2020, 07:12 PM
It's been a long time since anyone has posted in this topic. I bet there's been some good things going on. :)

bnorth
03-26-2020, 08:50 PM
Card related good news. I got my first T206 Red Cobb recently. I also helped bring a new awesome card storage kit to the hobby. Not available yet but I have been working with Rick Hyatt on his DIY card storage kits. He has/had an amazing product but was too big for my taste. Soon he will have DIY kits available that are close to the same size as SGC slabs. Sometimes complaining to the owner of a company about their product has a great outcome.:D

DHogan
03-26-2020, 09:19 PM
Congrats on the Cobb and good luck with the hobby kit. :)

bnorth
03-27-2020, 05:24 PM
Health wise I got my diabetic check up and my teeth cleaned about 3 weeks ago. So my 6 month recalls on both are not till late August. Both turned out good as my teeth are good and my A1C has been coming down with each visit.

I also had a complete heart check up. My cholesterol was great, EKG was great, and the scan that they run you into the big donut thing showed I have zero plaque built up in my arteries. Couldn't have been happier with my results.:D

DHogan
03-27-2020, 06:38 PM
That's good to hear. :)

DHogan
08-09-2020, 03:49 PM
I know with the pandemic still hitting bad around the country and around the world. Someone hopefully has some good news to share ? Anything would help. :)

commishbob
08-09-2020, 04:12 PM
We feel fortunate that our three kids and their spouses have been able to keep their jobs (and their health) thru this. My daughter is a social worker in Chicago who works primary in assisted living environments and has done good things there.

One on my sons' father-in-law won his bout with COVID19 and went back to work recently.

The two ICU nurses in my family are well if worn to a frazzle.

Finally, I picked up the last high number I needed and finished my 1960 Leaf binder project.

I finished my 1960 Topps football set and nailed down all but one of my 61 Fleer football set.

bnorth
08-09-2020, 05:13 PM
I am lucky enough to be able to go camping all next week. Hoping for some clear skies at night to watch the Perseid Meteor Shower.:)

DHogan
08-09-2020, 06:52 PM
Bob, I'm glad to hear that the people in your family that work in health care are well, and hope they always stay that way. My sister works in a skilled care facility as an activities director. She's frazzled trying to keep the residents minds occupied when they can't leave their rooms because of no contact. Even with family members.

At least we all have sports cards to keep us occupied.

Camping sounds good right now. I don't think I can see the meter showers in Boston with all the bright night lights.

bnorth
08-14-2020, 11:51 AM
Had a great time camping this week. It was cloudy and rained a couple nights so did not see many meteors. Still a bad week camping is better and a good week of most anything else.:)

Wife texted me on Monday and told me my Wade Boggs bat arrived. It had been stuck n Florida for over a week so I was happy it arrived.

When I got home this morning I opened it. My wife was standing beside me and when I pulled it out of he box she said "why did you buy a used bat?". So without missing a beat I looked at her and said "because they cost a lot more" and smiled. She did not get it.:D

todeen
08-14-2020, 05:23 PM
I've raised over $1600 for the Crohn's and Colitis Foundation with the help of 30+ donors. Caring and charitable people in the world still exist.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

DHogan
08-14-2020, 05:38 PM
I've raised over $1600 for the Crohn's and Colitis Foundation with the help of 30+ donors. Caring and charitable people in the world still exist.

Great work. :)

clydepepper
08-15-2020, 11:37 AM
I finally found and adopted the just the right second dog for me and my Buddy.

I have been searching shelters and rescues for three years.

Buddy will turn ten in January and Holly is a year-old.

Here is Buddy on the left and Holly on the right.

Adopt a Rescue...They will love you forever!

bnorth
08-15-2020, 02:53 PM

Great dogs!:)

I agree on adopting rescue dogs. My current dog is a rescue and the 2 before him came from the same rescue.

When I arrived home yesterday not only did I have a bat waiting. I had a bubble mailer with the fallowing 5 cards in it. It was a great unexpected gift from a fellow member.:D

DHogan
08-15-2020, 04:28 PM

Buddy doesn't look to thrilled. :rolleyes: Nice looking dogs tho.

DHogan
08-15-2020, 04:32 PM
I hope the GBSCC show comes back next year. I haven't gone to that show in a long time.

DHogan
08-21-2020, 03:42 PM
Anyone have any new good news they want to share ? :)

jcarroll84
08-23-2020, 06:55 AM
Two of my adult sons have recently become interested in collecting baseball cards.
It’s been great going through my cards and seeing them wanting to learn more about the history of the game I love.

MooseDog
08-23-2020, 09:06 AM
Don't know if you're on Twitter or if you have anything against MSNBC (I know, but people are so sensitive these days). I'm a big fan of #GoodNewsRUHLES. She seems to find a lot of uplifting stories out there in the morass.

Also Rex Chapman's feed is a hoot and a half @RexChapman - can't get enough of "Block or Charge" or "Dogs, bruh"

DHogan
08-23-2020, 01:41 PM
Two of my adult sons have recently become interested in collecting baseball cards.
It’s been great going through my cards and seeing them wanting to learn more about the history of the game I love.

That's great to hear. :)

DHogan
08-23-2020, 01:42 PM
Don't know if you're on Twitter or if you have anything against MSNBC (I know, but people are so sensitive these days). I'm a big fan of #GoodNewsRUHLES. She seems to find a lot of uplifting stories out there in the morass.

Also Rex Chapman's feed is a hoot and a half @RexChapman - can't get enough of "Block or Charge" or "Dogs, bruh"

I'm not on Twitter or Face Book or any of those. I'll check out MSNBC. Thanks :)

MooseDog
08-23-2020, 06:23 PM
Stephanie Ruhles posts a lot of the "Good News" stuff on You Tube.

You can Google Rex Chapman twitter and I think you can read the tweets. Or search "Dogs, bruh" if you need a quick pick me up.

Seven
08-23-2020, 07:25 PM
After both of us had to deal with some major health issues earlier in the year, my father and I were able to get up to Cooperstown this past week. While it was very quiet because of everything going on, we were able to take in the Hall of Fame and all of it's glory.

Spent a couple of hours combing through the various exhibits as it has been a while for the both of us, and we weren't able to get a good look at the "shoebox treasures" last year. I swear we spent a hour alone going through some of the cards, my father reminiscing about the ones he put in the spokes of his bike as a kid growing up in the late 60's, early 70's. Some incredible memories were made seeing all of those old cards, and it was something me and my father were able to bond over once again. Got around to making some nice purchases too which I'm going to happily upload to the forum in the coming days.

The walks each day to main street were ones I will look back on with fond memories, because no matter how many times I go there, each trip is special. I look forward to the day when I settle down and have children and am able to bring them to the Hall of Fame. And Hopefully when they get older, they'll want to spend as much time with me, as I like to spend with my father :)

My Father is still a relatively young man, only 61, so as long as he wants to continue going upstate NY to visit Cooperstown and the Hall, I'll gladly go. No matter how many times it happens, I'll continue to treasure every moment when we get lost along the way there, even with GPS, and we start laughing because we're stuck on some back road due to a missed turn. Every trip there is an experience, a journey and memories to last a lifetime.

DHogan
08-23-2020, 07:27 PM
Stephanie Ruhles posts a lot of the "Good News" stuff on You Tube.

You can Google Rex Chapman twitter and I think you can read the tweets. Or search "Dogs, bruh" if you need a quick pick me up.

Thanks. I'll check that out too.

DHogan
08-23-2020, 07:29 PM
Sounds like a great time there James. :)

todeen
08-24-2020, 11:55 PM
I bought MAGIC THE GATHERING cards 5 years ago to connect with a disruptive student in my classroom (I'm not into games like that). Found out my nephew is starting to get into MAGIC. Went to visit today and played two games with him and let him have any cards he wanted from my dusty assortment. Always wonderful to connect with youth and family, even if it's unconventional. I bet I'll be playing at Christmas too!

DHogan
08-25-2020, 07:52 AM
Very cool. :)

riggs336
09-02-2020, 10:09 PM
I watched every minute of the Austin Peay/Arkansas State football game, two teams I had absolutely no prior interest in, and enjoyed it like it was Bama/LSU or Texas/Oklahoma. I am so ready for some college football.

DHogan
09-03-2020, 07:39 AM
I used to go to the games at the College of the Holy Cross in Worcester Mass. when I was a teenager. I still don't follow any football.

Michael B
09-04-2020, 11:43 PM
I used to go to the games at the College of the Holy Cross in Worcester Mass. when I was a teenager. I still don't follow any football.

I lived in Worcester for 5 years before moving to Virginia. Prior to that Walpole, 2 miles from Pats stadium and grew up in Waltham.

Michael B
09-05-2020, 12:10 AM
I usually do not have great news to share. I do wake up every morning walking and talking and all of the 5 major senses working. Everything after that is a bonus and/or a blessing depending on your religious leanings.

About 2 months ago I read the story about the little boy in Wyoming who saved his sister's live from a vicious dog. During the encounter he was attacked and received something like 75 stitches, mostly to his face. All of the major superhero actors contacted him. The Captain America person was going to send him a real shield and the Spider Man actor invited him to the filming of the next movie.

Before it hit the network news it got coverage on the web - MSN and AOL. His aunt wrote that he loved rocks, wanted to be a geologist one day and would love it if people would send him some rocks. She provided an address in the article. I do enjoy looking at mineral displays at museums though I don't collect them myself. However, one of my interests is collecting fossils along the Potomac River in Maryland about 30 miles south of Washington, D.C. There is a great state park where you can find Paleocene Era (56-59 million years ago) sharks teeth, crocodile teeth and other fossils.

I put together a package of items putting them in small labeled baggies. I included extinct sand tiger teeth, extinct goblin shark teeth, crocodile tooth, turtle scute (outer armor), sting ray plates (for grinding food), a few odd bones (maybe turtle or croc), turitella molds (shells that look like a spiral) and a Piscataway Indian point (arrowhead). I also wrote him some information about all of the items and where I found them. I knew he would be overwhelmed with all of the attention, but was happy I could share one of my passions with him.

Monday or Tuesday I received this:

The postcard got a little scraped up going through the mail sorters. Not the first time this has happened to me but it is okay.

Remember, it is easier to be kind or say a kind word. You have to think to be or act cruel.

DHogan
09-05-2020, 02:02 PM
That's a very cool thing for you to do for him. I sure it made his day. Thanks for posting in this topic everyone.

LibSuperstar
09-05-2020, 03:03 PM
Very nice of you!

DHogan
09-05-2020, 03:41 PM
I lived in Worcester for 5 years before moving to Virginia. Prior to that Walpole, 2 miles from Pats stadium and grew up in Waltham.

I went to the agricultural high school in Walpole. Even though I was from Worcester. It didn't do me much good after. :o

carlsonjok
09-06-2020, 10:28 AM
Before it hit the network news it got coverage on the web - MSN and AOL. His aunt wrote that he loved rocks, wanted to be a geologist one day and would love it if people would send him some rocks. She provided an address in the article. I do enjoy looking at mineral displays at museums though I don't collect them myself.

Can you PM me the address? I am not a rock hound, but I have been blessed (or cursed depending on how you look at it) by living on top of a huge seam of barite rose rocks. They are actually quite rare, mainly only occurring in a thin band running north to south in Oklahoma, with minor occurrences in Australia and Morocco. I'd like to send him some.

https://cdn2.newsok.biz/cache/r960-d1f9b79255e81bd5f26b1faa31543531.jpg

EDIT: I ganked that picture out of the local newspapers article archive. Rose rocks sitting in prairie hay seemed familiar to me, so I found the article it was from. In a funny coincidence, the newspaper photographer took that picture of our display the one year my wife and I sold them at the Rose Rock Festival.

todeen
09-06-2020, 12:09 PM
I usually do not have great news to share. I do wake up every morning walking and talking and all of the 5 major senses working. Everything after that is a bonus and/or a blessing depending on your religious leanings.

About 2 months ago I read the story about the little boy in Wyoming who saved his sister's live from a vicious dog. During the encounter he was attacked and received something like 75 stitches, mostly to his face. All of the major superhero actors contacted him. The Captain America person was going to send him a real shield and the Spider Man actor invited him to the filming of the next movie.

Before it hit the network news it got coverage on the web - MSN and AOL. His aunt wrote that he loved rocks, wanted to be a geologist one day and would love it if people would send him some rocks. She provided an address in the article. I do enjoy looking at mineral displays at museums though I don't collect them myself. However, one of my interests is collecting fossils along the Potomac River in Maryland about 30 miles south of Washington, D.C. There is a great state park where you can find Paleocene Era (56-59 million years ago) sharks teeth, crocodile teeth and other fossils.

I put together a package of items putting them in small labeled baggies. I included extinct sand tiger teeth, extinct goblin shark teeth, crocodile tooth, turtle scute (outer armor), sting ray plates (for grinding food), a few odd bones (maybe turtle or croc), turitella molds (shells that look like a spiral) and a Piscataway Indian point (arrowhead). I also wrote him some information about all of the items and where I found them. I knew he would be overwhelmed with all of the attention, but was happy I could share one of my passions with him.

Monday or Tuesday I received this:

The postcard got a little scraped up going through the mail sorters. Not the first time this has happened to me but it is okay.

Remember, it is easier to be kind or say a kind word. You have to think to be or act cruel.I loved fossils growing up in Montana. You were very kind. Thanks for sharing.

Michael B
09-06-2020, 09:56 PM
Can you PM me the address? I am not a rock hound, but I have been blessed (or cursed depending on how you look at it) by living on top of a huge seam of barite rose rocks. They are actually quite rare, mainly only occurring in a thin band running north to south in Oklahoma, with minor occurrences in Australia and Morocco. I'd like to send him some.

https://cdn2.newsok.biz/cache/r960-d1f9b79255e81bd5f26b1faa31543531.jpg

EDIT: I ganked that picture out of the local newspapers article archive. Rose rocks sitting in prairie hay seemed familiar to me, so I found the article it was from. In a funny coincidence, the newspaper photographer took that picture of our display the one year my wife and I sold them at the Rose Rock Festival.

Done...

Michael B
09-06-2020, 09:58 PM
I loved fossils growing up in Montana. You were very kind. Thanks for sharing.

Thank you Tim. I do not like to blow my own horn but I appreciated the effort the family took to send out such a great thank you note. I felt the note and its message were important to share.

999Tony
09-07-2020, 08:11 AM
Obc members recently in last couple weeks sent me incredible cards (return fire from cards I sent out but nothing is required —these are not trades). it is often worn commons, but one guy sent me a bunch of cards and included a 54 Berra! Another sent a goudey wide pen Hubbell! Just my second wide pen! I had no idea I was getting these until I opened the envelopes!

DHogan
09-07-2020, 10:26 AM
Those cards in any condition are great to have.

todeen
09-08-2020, 10:43 PM
Thank you Tim. I do not like to blow my own horn but I appreciated the effort the family took to send out such a great thank you note. I felt the note and its message were important to share.On a good news forum, tooting your own horn to make someone else feel good is okay.... sometimes. ;)

Corporal Lance Boil
09-14-2020, 04:25 PM
The theatre I am on the board of, in the middle-of-nowhere New Hampshire, was granted permission to produce professionals shows, with Equity Guild actors, and an actual (but socially distanced) audience. There were 3 other theaters approved, 2 had 1-person shows, and one had no audience.

Our opener was "Little Shop of Horrors", with an 8 person cast, full band, and 25% seating. Last Wednesday. We also opened "Miracle on South Division Street", which I had never seen, but loved so much.

The pressure was amazing. There was an article in the NYT, and phone interviews with CBS and NBC. A film crew from the German version of NPR came for interviews.

This is literally the re-opening of professional theatre in the US, and I am so proud to part of it.

And they killed it, by the way.

T

DHogan
09-14-2020, 05:10 PM

todeen
09-16-2020, 01:59 PM
I live in WA State. We are currently inundated with wildfire smoke, today is Day 6. However, my niece was married, outside, and it was a lovely ceremony. We (the healthy ones) spent 2+ hours outside. Some things are just too sweet to be ruined uncontrollable circumstances.

DHogan
09-16-2020, 02:10 PM
Congratulations to you niece.

bbcard1
09-17-2020, 02:23 PM
I have been far more blessed that I have any business being, but I had an awesome experience that I think you guys would appreciate more than most.

My son has a softball team in a city league. I am on the roster only in case of emergency. Their pitcher was out this week and they had another sub to pitch for them. He got into an altercation with the ump last game and was suspended for three games. Hence I got the call. At age 59, I brought my corn hole throwing softball approach back to the the diamond.

My son's team is quite good and it's filled with kids I have coached and known since they were boys...in some cases babies. They caught everything the was hit in their general direction.

I pitched a shutout (to the fielder's credit, not mine), got a couple of hits and scored a run in a blowout.

Every now and then between pitches I just had to stop and say a little prayer of thanks for the fine young men, the fact that I can still contribute on some level and the crisp, clear night. It was just glorious.

DHogan
09-18-2020, 08:27 AM
That's great !

todeen
09-19-2020, 02:44 PM
I have been far more blessed that I have any business being, but I had an awesome experience that I think you guys would appreciate more than most.

My son has a softball team in a city league. I am on the roster only in case of emergency. Their pitcher was out this week and they had another sub to pitch for them. He got into an altercation with the ump last game and was suspended for three games. Hence I got the call. At age 59, I brought my corn hole throwing softball approach back to the the diamond.

My son's team is quite good and it's filled with kids I have coached and known since they were boys...in some cases babies. They caught everything the was hit in their general direction.

I pitched a shutout (to the fielder's credit, not mine), got a couple of hits and scored a run in a blowout.

Every now and then between pitches I just had to stop and say a little prayer of thanks for the fine young men, the fact that I can still contribute on some level and the crisp, clear night. It was just glorious.

Super jealous you still live in a community with rec league occurring. We're shut down where I am.

bnorth
09-19-2020, 08:34 PM
Card related. I just bought a 1/1 that goes in my modern Rainbow Collection. The complete Rainbow is 12 cards and 8 of them are 1/1s. I am now down to needing 2 more 1/1s to complete it. After i get the card I will update with a picture.

Also card related, I finished my 1959 Fleer Ted Williams set today thanks to a fellow member who sent me the last card I needed for free.

DHogan
09-20-2020, 02:35 PM
Very cool. I'm slowly working on a 59 Fleer Ted Williams set.

bnorth
09-26-2020, 04:22 PM
Went camping all week at a small lake with a nice little campground out in the middle of nowhere.

Cool part is there was a pair of bald eagles and 2 pair of golden eagles that was in the area hunting while I was there. It was amazing to watch.:)

The pic of the bald eagle sitting in the tree is across the lake about 400 yards away. The golden eagle sitting on the power pole is about 700 yards away. I know the pics are bad, to get them I had to hold my phone up to my binoculars to get these from those distances. Then crop and enlarge.

DHogan
09-26-2020, 04:35 PM
Pretty cool. :)

A few years ago, I was driving about 20 mile west of Boston on the Mass Turn Pike RT 90 coming towards Boston. An eagle came down real quick between the east and west bound lanes. Grabbed an animal, and flew away. It was about 4pm on a Saturday.

philliesfan
09-29-2020, 03:45 PM
Ok You want to hear some good news.................My Heart Procedure (Alblaton) went very well. The procedure was about 3 hours and recovery was about 5 hours. Hopefully this will take care of my AFib and AFlutter and that I can walk more than 50 feet without getting out of breath.

DHogan
09-29-2020, 04:14 PM
Ok You want to hear some good news.................My Heart Procedure (Alblaton) went very well. The procedure was about 3 hours and recovery was about 5 hours. Hopefully this will take care of my AFib and AFlutter and that I can walk more than 50 feet without getting out of breath.

That's the best news I've heard in a long time. :)

philliesfan
09-29-2020, 05:25 PM
Thanks! The really good part is it was done this morning and I was home home at 5:00!

bnorth
09-30-2020, 07:21 AM
Thanks! The really good part is it was done this morning and I was home home at 5:00!

That is great news. Hope it worked for you and you no longer have any problems.

DHogan
10-17-2020, 06:50 PM
Anyone have any recent good news to share ? :)

MooseDog
10-22-2020, 06:13 PM
I bought a micro-share (1/1000 of 1% of a 12.5% share) in a race horse two days before the Kentucky Derby. I thought he had a decent chance but I actually liked two other horses in the race better...but I thought it would be cool to say you had a piece of a horse who ran in the Kentucky Derby.

Then he goes out and wins the damn thing!

Just got this in the mail...somehow the track photographer had the technology to put 4000 individual names of the micro-share owners in the Owners line so I have a Kentucky Derby winner's circle photo showing me as an owner. There are some obscenely wealthy folks who have spent $millions$ trying to win the Derby and they don't have one of these.

I've worked in the racing industry for 30+ years but haven't had much work this year due to COVID. This was a bright spot in a 2020 that's been pretty bleak.

DHogan
10-22-2020, 06:35 PM
That's cool. :)

JollyElm
10-22-2020, 09:26 PM
Cool story...but you're burying the lede (I hate that it's spelled that way). What (if anything) was your haul? Are you going to buy some Mantles, or just a Mario Mendoza or two? :D

Michael B
10-23-2020, 01:26 AM
Pretty cool. :)

A few years ago, I was driving about 20 mile west of Boston on the Mass Turn Pike RT 90 coming towards Boston. An eagle came down real quick between the east and west bound lanes. Grabbed an animal, and flew away. It was about 4pm on a Saturday.

If you try to glance up into the trees on the pike, usually west of the Rte 9 exit you will see a few red tail hawks. They are easier to see in the fall and winter after the leaves have fallen. Once you see one they are easier to spot.

Michael B
10-23-2020, 01:31 AM
Yesterday, October 22, my father and his twin brother turned 88 years old. Neither is in the best of health, but both alive and kicking. I called him the piano man and he got the reference. Beat lung cancer in his 80's.

DHogan
10-23-2020, 09:21 AM
Happy birthday to your dad and uncle.

I've seen a few hawks along the pike. I used to see deer along the pike between the Rt30 Framingham exit and Rt128 Wellesly exit.

MooseDog
10-23-2020, 11:35 AM
Darren -

The way the micro-share deal is structured, there isn't a financial windfall so it's still Mario Mendozas for me!

It's a complicated deal and to be honest not the smartest investment one would make but it was all laid out in the offer. With a little background in finance I knew exactly what I was getting into. The ownership format is a relatively new thing, and it's a way that a schmoe like me can have a small interest in a really good horse. But in all honesty is really structured to benefit the main owner, Spendthrift Farms (B Wayne Hughes, who founded Public Storage).

Had he run 2nd, we probably would have gotten about $12 each. The return on the (small) investment may come if he is a successful sire at the end of his racing career, but in a best case scenario where he's the hottest sire in the US, I'm looking at maybe $100/year but the reality will likely be much less.

I have to say the thrill of watching him unexpectedly win and getting a winner's circle picture with my name as an owner was well worth the $200 investment, even if I never see a penny of it back.

Michael B
10-23-2020, 03:43 PM
Happy birthday to your dad and uncle.

I've seen a few hawks along the pike. I used to see deer along the pike between the Rt30 Framingham exit and Rt128 Wellesly exit.

Not as many deer with all of the development. You can still spot them west of the Sturbridge exit. I can tell you are a local - you used Rte 128 - the 'Roadrunner' road for you Jonathan Richman fans.

Shoeless Moe
11-06-2020, 07:34 PM
love this sign.....

DHogan
11-06-2020, 08:08 PM
Michael, I avoid rt128 at all cost and rt93 as much as I can. Rt128 up past Peabody to Gloucester (Glosta as we call it) is a nice ride on weekends.

Michael B
11-06-2020, 09:53 PM
Michael, I avoid rt128 at all cost and rt93 as much as I can. Rt128 up past Peabody to Gloucester (Glosta as we call it) is a nice ride on weekends.

I grew up in Waltham and owned a house in Walpole for most of the 90's. Used to see the Pats players at the Subway on Rte 1 after their practice. I found some parallel roads so that I could get from Lexington all the way to Norwood without driving 128. It was great during rush hour, especially when I worked at the courthouse in Cambridge and was driving to Walpole. I lived in 'Woosta' for 5 years before moving down here to work in D.C. I miss the beaches - Wingaersheek, Salisbury and even Carson Beach in a pinch. The 90 minute drive to Old Orchard was worth it especially when they had the Maine Phillies. Down here it is 3 hours to a beach on the ocean - Virginia Beach, which I like, or Ocean City, MD.

I was up there for a funeral last Friday. It was great to see the snow. That was more than we got down here all of last year. I actually do miss the snow. The 'weather pussies' down here panic over a snow flake. The federal government will shut down for the day if there is 2 inches on the ground. I would not have to work if that happened. Now, thanks to all of the court and other info I need being online, I work from home full time and have not seen my office since March.

DHogan
11-06-2020, 10:28 PM
I'm originally from Worcester. I moved to Boston in about 1988. The jobs were better paying. Worked for an airfreight company for 20 years. Worked for 2 different pharmaceutical companies after. I don't like living around Boston. Traffic is a bitch. Other drivers go out of their way to be ass wholes big time. I'll be moving back to Wosta in the next year or so.

Exhibitman
11-07-2020, 10:27 AM
https://photos.imageevent.com/exhibitman/dropins/websize/well_bye_2.jpg

DHogan
11-23-2020, 05:44 PM

todeen
11-24-2020, 07:36 AM
I had surgery 6 days ago, ostomy reversal, and I'm going home today! This site helped pass the time in the early mornings when sleep had passed me by. I will quasi-be-home for Thanksgiving (staying at my parents). But nothing is better than mama's cooking.

DHogan
11-24-2020, 09:35 AM
Tim, that's great to hear that you out of the hospital.

LibSuperstar
11-24-2020, 11:28 AM
Glad you're home. Wishing you a speedy recovery.

MooseDog
11-24-2020, 04:43 PM
Great news, Tim! Thanks for sharing and best wishes for a speedy recovery!

DHogan
12-26-2020, 07:05 PM
Anyone have any recent good news ? It's been a while. :)

Seven
12-26-2020, 07:10 PM
Anyone have any recent good news ? It's been a while. :)

I had a very nice Christmas, was able to surprise my folks with a vacation. More of an IOU to them, they'll pick a destination and time to go, post COVID vaccine of course. They were happy, times are rough for everyone, they need something to take their mind off of everything going on with the pandemic.

I might be able to go back to work in person in mid January too, which I'm very excited about!

DHogan
12-26-2020, 09:00 PM
It's sounded real nice James. :)

DHogan
02-01-2021, 11:54 AM
Anyone have any recent good news ? :)

bnorth
03-05-2021, 06:59 AM
The weather was awesome yesterday and I got to wear my second hand pullover instead of a heavy jacket.

I got a back handed compliment from the wife before we went on a walk. I had on my second hand NY Yankee pull over and a baseball cap. She said " You look like a baseball player with that outfit, well more like a coach with your big belly"

My second hand pullover used to belong to Joe Girardi when he coached the Yankees. So I took it as a compliment instead of being called fat.:D

todeen
03-12-2021, 09:00 PM
My high school just completed their first cross country season ever. I was the coach. 8 kids signed up on the interest survey. When we started, 16 kids showed up! We finished at the league championship on Wednesday (no state championships this year :( ), and our best runner finished 4th. All the kids are proud, the admin is extremely pleased, and parents are happy.

DHogan
03-13-2021, 08:50 AM
Very cool that more showed up than expected.

DHogan
05-20-2021, 06:59 PM

egri
05-20-2021, 07:32 PM
I found out a couple days ago that a friend of mine from high school, who beat cancer as a junior, and walked on to the football team at Syracuse despite having never played before, just signed with the Saints. He's a UDFA kicker, so probably won't make it out of training camp, but it's still something.

DHogan
05-20-2021, 08:25 PM

earlywynnfan
05-21-2021, 09:11 AM
Oldest daughter skipped prom and graduation to travel to Costa Rica for 3 months to teach underprivileged kids. Even raised all the money for it herself! Very impressive move considering neither parent has ever done anything bold.

She made it safely Wednesday morning and is unpacked and sunburned already.

Couldn't be more proud!

DHogan
05-21-2021, 11:27 AM
Very cool Ken. Sounds like a great kid. :)

DHogan
10-06-2021, 06:23 PM
Anyone have any good news to share ? It's been a long time. :o

butchie_t
10-06-2021, 06:39 PM
Ground was broken this week on our retirement home. It should be ready around May-June of next year. It is in a DelWebb community in Nevada. I am chomping at the bit to retire and go do things for fun.

DHogan
10-06-2021, 07:21 PM
Sounds great Butch. :)

bnorth
10-24-2021, 05:29 PM
It is cold, windy, and rained most of the day. Still a day out camping at my favorite place is better than most.

Here is a pic of my dog out sniffing everything in between rains.

DHogan
10-24-2021, 06:26 PM
Where is your favorite place at ?

bnorth
10-24-2021, 06:39 PM
Where is your favorite place at ?

A small quiet beautiful lake out in the middle of nowhere. The beyond little town in the background had part of the movie Into the Wild filmed there.

bnorth
11-11-2021, 04:31 PM
Had my first flower open on my jade plants today.

DHogan
11-11-2021, 05:55 PM
I've never seen a jade plant that had flowers. I worked in a greenhouse during high school. Very cool.

bnorth
11-11-2021, 06:33 PM
I've never seen a jade plant that had flowers. I worked in a greenhouse during high school. Very cool.

I have had them for easily 20 years and never seen one flower till a couple years ago. I had always kept them inside. Then I started putting them out in the spring and bringing them back inside in the fall. The first year we got a unexpected early hard freeze. It killed off the tops but never killed the plants. Then they started flowering. After some research I found out if you deprive them of water and let them get cold before you bring them in they will flower.

EDIT to add another picture. Have around a dozen open flowers today. They should look pretty cool in another week with more flowers open.

bnorth
12-06-2021, 03:21 PM

Most of the buds have opened.

DHogan
12-06-2021, 04:25 PM
Wow ! :)

philliesfan
12-14-2021, 10:20 AM
I aw my Cardiologist yesterday. My heart has shown good improvement and I will temporarily be off my heart medicine. We just need to monitor things to make sure I can stay off the meds. If my A-Fib starts back up, they will do another cardioversion and possible second ablation and then back on the meds.
I would prefer to stay off the meds because of the possible long term side effects.
Bob

bnorth
12-14-2021, 01:10 PM
I aw my Cardiologist yesterday. My heart has shown good improvement and I will temporarily be off my heart medicine. We just need to monitor things to make sure I can stay off the meds. If my A-Fib starts back up, they will do another cardioversion and possible second ablation and then back on the meds.
I would prefer to stay off the meds because of the possible long term side effects.
Bob

That is great news. Hopefully you can stay of the meds.

DHogan
12-14-2021, 02:25 PM
That's great news. Being on meds is no fun.

bnorth
02-27-2022, 12:34 PM
Yesterday was 24 years without my wife killing me while I sleep.:)

butchie_t
02-27-2022, 12:46 PM

That is something worth waking up for! :D

DHogan
02-27-2022, 04:26 PM

I'm glad to hear that. :)

bnorth
03-05-2022, 06:25 PM
Just paid for a cool vacation. Picked up tickets and rented a house for the Brian Shaw Classic.:D

Can't wait to see those animals compete. Sadly all the meet and greet tickets where sold out.:(

DHogan
03-06-2022, 11:02 AM
Are you taking your wife and kids ?

bnorth
03-06-2022, 11:51 AM
Are you taking your wife and kids ?

No kids and wife hasn't decided yet.

John1941
03-26-2022, 07:23 PM
I'm happy right now. I do track, and today I was on the 400 meter relay for varsity. It was super cool running with the best runners on my team. I was kind of the odd man out, as a freshman, but I smashed my previous personal record by a few seconds so I didn't do too badly. I got a time of 57 seconds, and we finished third.

DHogan
03-26-2022, 07:36 PM
I'm happy right now. I do track, and today I was on the 400 meter relay for varsity. It was super cool running with the best runners on my team. I was kind of the odd man out, as a freshman, but I smashed my previous personal record by a few seconds so I didn't do too badly. I got a time of 57 seconds, and we finished third.

Good to hear that. :)

Michael B
03-26-2022, 10:41 PM

Great for you. I would guess you ran leg 2 or 3. It seems 1 is to get ahead or not fall too far behind and 4 is catch up or hold the lead. It seems that the relay produces good times compared to a flat distance race. It could be momentum or not needing to anticipate the pistol as you know what is coming. Continued good success.

John1941
03-27-2022, 01:49 PM
Great for you. I would guess you ran leg 2 or 3. It seems 1 is to get ahead or not fall too far behind and 4 is catch up or hold the lead. It seems that the relay produces good times compared to a flat distance race. It could be momentum or not needing to anticipate the pistol as you know what is coming. Continued good success.

Yeah, I was the second leg. That stuff helped, but I was really just running faster. I was going against a lot more competition than usual, and I didn't want to get passed by everyone, so I ran a lot harder.

Thanks for the kind words, y'all.

bnorth
05-18-2022, 04:55 PM
I made it through 45 minutes of a crazy storm in my travel trailer last Thursday.
The first pic is just before it hit. The guy in the other camper was just moving his pickup to the other side to help block the wind. It still slid his travel trailer about a foot. That had to be a super scary short ride. The second pic is from about an hour later.

It was like a wall of blackness just coming really fast that made the small town in the background disapear.

DHogan
05-18-2022, 06:26 PM
Good to hear that your ok. :)

bnorth
07-05-2022, 05:54 PM
About 1:30 we had a storm roll through with crazy winds. Lost a couple shingles is all. Power weirdly went out in almost the entire town just before 3:00 when the storm was about over.. By 5:00 I decided I had had enough and wanted power. Luckily I have a generator that can run my travel trailer. Hooked it up to the house and now have a cool house and internet for the last 2 hours.:)

So happy I have a generator.:)

carlsonjok
07-15-2022, 03:56 PM
Last year, the company I worked for was acquired by a larger company and my career choices were to move to Houston or move on. Obviously, I chose the latter and worked under a retention agreement for 6 months. My last day was 6 weeks ago. Today, i accepted a job offer and will start the week after next.

The beauty of the deal is I will be collecting severance from the old job through November. Given the windfall, my treat for tricking someone into hiring me is to actually look for a Clemente RC and try to complete my 1955 set. I am only 9 cards from finishing, but never figured I would finish because card 164 was beyond my means. I'm giddy as all get out.

DHogan
07-15-2022, 05:18 PM
Congratulations on the new job. It's good to hear something good came of it all. :)

bnorth
07-15-2022, 05:20 PM
Last year, the company I worked for was acquired by a larger company and my career choices were to move to Houston or move on. Obviously, I chose the latter and worked under a retention agreement for 6 months. My last day was 6 weeks ago. Today, i accepted a job offer and will start the week after next.

The beauty of the deal is I will be collecting severance from the old job through November. Given the windfall, my treat for tricking someone into hiring me is to actually look for a Clemente RC and try to complete my 1955 set. I am only 9 cards from finishing, but never figured I would finish because card 164 was beyond my means. I'm giddy as all get out.

Awesome and congratulations. be sure to post a pic of that Clemente when you get it.

mrreality68
07-16-2022, 10:27 AM
Awesome and congratulations. be sure to post a pic of that Clemente when you get it.

Congrats and agree would love to see the Clemente when you get it

bnorth
07-19-2022, 11:23 AM
I bought the tickets a few months ago. I wanted actual tickets and they finally arrived today.:D

This will be my first large Strongman contest I have been at. Can't wait to see these monsters in person. It is also probably the last chance to see the greatest of all Big Z( Žydrūnas Savickas) compete in a large event since he is 47 years old.

pawpawdiv9
07-29-2022, 10:10 AM
Internet been out for 3 days!!!!
btw- i am a old timer type person with no cell phone.
No access to NET54 for 3 days!!!!!
ATT came out and replaced the box, found out the frequency was wrong.

TODAY--- I am so HAPPY!!!
Back on NET54!:D

mrreality68
08-05-2022, 05:03 AM

But the bigger question is that good news that you have to deal with her 24 years while you are awake?

If So God Bless...:)

If not our Prayers :)

bnorth
08-05-2022, 06:01 AM
But the bigger question is that good news that you have to deal with her 24 years while you are awake?

If So God Bless...:)

If not our Prayers :)

Over the 24 years there has been a lot of both good and bad. Way more good than bad and all the bad was of course my fault.

"Quando omni flunkus moritati"

I'm a man, but I can change, If I have to, I guess.

bnorth
08-08-2022, 12:35 PM
I bought the tickets a few months ago. I wanted actual tickets and they finally arrived today.:D

This will be my first large Strongman contest I have been at. Can't wait to see these monsters in person. It is also probably the last chance to see the greatest of all Big Z( Žydrūnas Savickas) compete in a large event since he is 47 years old.

They produced trading cards for the athletes in this event. I just pre ordered 3 sets.:D:D:D

Can't wait to get the Big Z cards.

bnorth
08-13-2022, 07:59 PM
Got to watch Aleksii Novikov pull 1210 pounds to set the new Hummer Tire deadlift record today. Also got to see my strongman hero Biz Z compete today. He is 47 so just competing at the highest level is a huge win. I have been to a lot of sporting events and this ranks among the best.:D

bnorth
10-19-2022, 11:47 AM
While winterizing and cleaning my travel trailer I counted 13 camping slips from this year. So had to be a great summer to get out that many times.:D

todeen
10-20-2022, 01:23 PM
I was hired as a full-time substitute Sept 30, but because of my 11 years of teaching experience, they offered me a teacher's contract. It's a trade: no homework but now I must accept jobs I'd rather pass on. But it's another year closer to retirement!

Sent from my SM-G9900 using Tapatalk

Casey2296
10-20-2022, 05:37 PM
I found a brand new pair of boots in my closet that I didn't know I had, I needed a new pair and they fit perfectly, super comfortable. $140 saved

Republicaninmass
10-20-2022, 06:01 PM
I was worried about selling off my cards, but hit the very top of my estimate.

mrreality68
10-24-2022, 04:40 AM
Cancer Free One Year

JustinD
10-24-2022, 07:42 AM
Cancer Free One Year

Good stuff!

Two-timer here and it's likely to eventually win in time, but I celebrate those goals every year. F-Cancer, but enjoy each and every day, those lessons learned on what really is important, and hug your loved ones daily.

You have my best wishes that it becomes a memory of a battle scar and never returns again!!

mrreality68
10-24-2022, 08:59 AM
Good stuff!

Two-timer here and it's likely to eventually win in time, but I celebrate those goals every year. F-Cancer, but enjoy each and every day, those lessons learned on what really is important, and hug your loved ones daily.

You have my best wishes that it becomes a memory of a battle scar and never returns again!!

Congrats to you also.

Being as young as I am and how I feel I was surprised and it definitely changed my outlook on life

BobC
10-24-2022, 10:26 AM
Cancer Free One Year

Congrats, glad to hear that!

mrreality68
10-24-2022, 12:33 PM
Congrats, glad to hear that!

Thanks and appreciated

Only person a little disappointed was my wife

She was hoping to become a cougar sooner

BobC
10-24-2022, 12:52 PM
Thanks and appreciated

LOL

Somehow, I sincerely doubt that is true. But very happy to see you can still find humor in things, even this episode of your life. Old saying, laughter IS the best medicine. So true, so true!

BobbyStrawberry
10-24-2022, 12:53 PM
Thanks and appreciated

LOL. Congrats, Jeff

DHogan
10-24-2022, 01:10 PM
Cancer Free One Year

Congratulations. That's great news. :)

DHogan
10-24-2022, 01:11 PM
Good stuff!

Congratulations to you also. :)

mrreality68
10-24-2022, 03:30 PM
LOL

Somehow, I sincerely doubt that is true. But very happy to see you can still find humor in things, even this episode of your life. Old saying, laughter IS the best medicine. So true, so true!

Well She did promise to mourn me until the Insurance Check clears

Casey2296
10-26-2022, 07:19 AM
Justin & Jeff,

Congrats to both of you, and to many more cancer free years to come.

-Phil

bnorth
11-01-2022, 06:40 PM
Been really blessed lately.

Recently had an amazing fellow member hockeyhockey help me out with a mislabeled PSA card. Not only was he nice enough to help me out he paid the fees and return shipping to me. He also had to deal with trying to fix the label on a mislabeled card. So he went way out of his way to help me and it is much appreciated.

Now this one is crazy. A few days ago the mailman showed up at my house with a Priority tube, the kind bats are shipped in. I opened it up and here is a Wade Boggs Professional model bat with all the PSA/DNA paperwork. I have a decent Boggs bat collection so this 1989 LS B349 fits in very nicely. I can't thank fellow member JoeDfan enough for his extremely generous gift.

Then today I got the first floor seat in row one for the Shaw Classic(Strongman Contest) next year. It comes with 2 meet and greets with the strongmen and a goodie bag. They got released today pre sale for members and I just got lucky.:D

sb1
11-02-2022, 07:27 AM
Trey for 3 peat at the Shaw.

bnorth
11-02-2022, 01:55 PM
Trey for 3 peat at the Shaw.

Since we have went too long without a card.

sb1
11-02-2022, 02:00 PM
Didn't know he had a card. I need to get a bunch and have him sign them.

pawpawdiv9
11-03-2022, 08:39 AM
Justin & Jeff,

Congrats to both of you, and to many more cancer free years to come.

-Phil

thats great^
I just went to the Doctors this morning for my bladder cancer checkup (cystoscope) now that i am on the 6 month checkups (instead every 3 months)
It been a little over a year 1/2 for me as well. All things still look clear and no signs of what i thought was a hernia. Just need to lose weight.

mrreality68
11-03-2022, 09:40 AM
thats great^
I just went to the Doctors this morning for my bladder cancer checkup (cystoscope) now that i am on the 6 month checkups (instead every 3 months)
It been a little over a year 1/2 for me as well. All things still look clear and no signs of what i thought was a hernia. Just need to lose weight.

Congrats and glad to hear it.
Same thing weight control is needed for me

DHogan
11-03-2022, 04:48 PM
thats great^

That's great news. :)

bnorth
02-26-2023, 07:13 PM
Today makes 25 years that my amazing wife has somehow tolerated me.:)