PDA

View Full Version : Legendary's auction that ended last night

bostonmarathonman
02-27-2015, 06:36 PM
So I just realized that Legendary's auction ended yesterday--normally I stay on top of such things probably because every single auction house makes it a point to send a plethora of emails in the days leading up to the last day of bidding and even if they don't inundate us with emails every day for two weeks they at least make it a point to send an email the last day of bidding to remind everyone that the auction is closing that night: this time around, nothing. The only emails I received from them pertaining to this auction were a bid confirmation email and outbid notice email for the single item I placed a marker bid on last week the day that bidding started. That being said, did anyone receive one of their usual "lots x-xxx closing tonight" emails yesterday????? I think this was the first time in a while that all the lots in their auction closed on the same night (probably because it was a much smaller auction than usual). If they didn't send out reminder emails yesterday, this was a pretty piss-poor method of marketing the auction on its final day by not reminding people the auction was closing last night--had I remembered that yesterday was the day, I certainly wouldve placed a couple more bids on the one item I had already placed a bid on and likely a few others I was watching.

D@vid D@nberg

Brian Van Horn
02-27-2015, 06:37 PM
So I just realized that Legendary's auction ended yesterday--normally I stay on top of such things probably because every single auction house makes it a point to send a plethora of emails in the days leading up to the last day of bidding and even if they don't inundate us with emails every day for two weeks they at least make it a point to send an email the last day of bidding announcing that the auction is closing that night: this time around, nothing. The only emails I received from them pertaining to this auction were a bid confirmation and outbid notice for the single item I placed a marker bid on last week the day that bidding started. That being said, did anyone receive one of their usual "lots x-xxx closing tonight" emails yesterday????? I think this was the first time in a while that all the lots in their auction closed on the same night (probably because it was a much smaller auction than usual). If they didn't send out reminder emails yesterday, this was a pretty piss-poor method of marketing the auction on its final day by not reminding people the auction was closing last night--had I remembered that yesterday was the day, I certainly wouldve placed a couple more bids on the one item I had already placed a bid on and likely a few others I was watching.

Just my opinion, but this may be the new normal state of affairs for Legendary.

Ben Yourg
02-27-2015, 06:39 PM
I got their catalog in today's mail?

Peter_Spaeth
02-27-2015, 06:40 PM
Not with a bang but a whimper.

irishdenny
02-27-2015, 06:52 PM
I got their catalog in today's mail?

I Received mine YesterDay!!!

oldjudge
02-27-2015, 06:56 PM
I got the update emails so I would check your spam filter. Peter is right, the results were soft, possibly because of some bidders staying away.

jefferyepayne
02-27-2015, 07:03 PM
It's time for Legendary to go away. Auction houses run by convicted felons need to go out of business.

I've been boycotting them now for several years. Please join in and help get rid of this cancer. Stop consigning and stop bidding.

jeff

turtleguy64
02-27-2015, 07:29 PM
hey,they seem to now be working with a skeleton staff.apparently big exodus of the usual staff in the last few months.no surprise.

turtleguy64
02-27-2015, 07:32 PM
they cannot shake the stigma of the shilling scandal.let's wait and see if they emerge with a completely new moniker and ownership.but it may be too late to resurrect this bleeding former biggie auction house.

yanksfan09
02-27-2015, 07:40 PM
I just got the catalog too a day or two ago. Hadn't gotten around to looking through it yet. I assumed there would be plenty of time. I had no idea auction was already ending. Guess they don't want our money?

If I had consigned, I would not be very happy to say the least.

calvindog
02-27-2015, 07:41 PM
It's time for Legendary to go away. Auction houses run by convicted felons need to go out of business.

Um, there would be like 3 houses left.

Kenny Cole
02-27-2015, 07:42 PM
I got my catalog yesterday. Didn't have a chance to look at it yet and didn't bid on a single item. Oh well.

turtleguy64
02-27-2015, 07:51 PM
it was embarassing to see the dearth of decent material in this auction.it's a new low.

bobbyw8469
02-27-2015, 07:59 PM
LOL...I won a card....paid a pretty good price for it too.....oh well.......I'm always sad to see anyone go out of business. At least they paid their consignors. Anyone remember American Memorabilia?

mrvster
02-27-2015, 08:03 PM
anyone win the lot of 3 scraps??? I WANT LENA BLACKBURNE!:)

please email me

sycks22
02-27-2015, 08:55 PM
I just realized after reading these posts that I never got my legendary book. I won a couple items at good prices I thought

jerrys
02-27-2015, 09:25 PM
There was strong bidding on the KBs and the SLCs. I had no success.

ecRich
02-27-2015, 10:34 PM
I think many lots went for very high amounts. Everyone says they won't bid or don't care, but the results say otherwise. I guess all the people without ethics had money to spend. I could not rationalize some of the prices that were realized.

botport
02-28-2015, 01:20 AM
I was interested in one lot for sure.. possibly another one or two if the price was right. I attempted to register over a week ago. I never received anything other than an email that said 'your application will be processed and you will hear from us in 24-48 hours' or something very similar... I tried to log in today out of curiosity, the site told me bidder id and password do not match.

bcbgcbrcb
02-28-2015, 05:51 AM
As many others have stated many times before, when it comes down to it, material trumps ethics, hard feelings, etc. That being said, I feel that this was the weakest Mastronet/Legendary offering that I can ever remember seeing. I too think it will be all downhill from here..............

Publius
02-28-2015, 07:46 AM
Why anyone would bid or consign to Legendary at this point is beyond me.

You bid and win, send them your money,they cash it and go out of business, Feds seize the assets and you get ten cents on the dollar.

You consign something nice and, well see above

Why gamble with your money and collection on a company that could be gone any day now and take your stuff or money with it, when there are so many other options?

Too risky, that is a sinking ship I got off of a long long time ago.

rainier2004
02-28-2015, 07:53 AM
Why anyone would bid or consign to Legendary at this point is beyond me.

You bid and win, send them your money,they cash it and go out of business, Feds seize the assets and you get ten cents on the dollar.

You consign something nice and, well see above

Why gamble with your money and collection on a company that could be gone any day now and take your stuff or money with it, when there are so many other options?

Too risky, that is a sinking ship I got off of a long long time ago.

Yup...

keithsky
02-28-2015, 08:06 AM
I personally wouldn't consign to Legendary not knowing what will happen with the company. I would like to know if there is any consignors on this board that do consign with Legendary and what your thinking is on why you do. Just curious. Don't need guys blasting anyone why they do just what the draw to Legendary is over another company since there seems to be such a risk. Anyone willing to admit they do and there views on it and please guys don't jump on anyone that does.

BeanTown
02-28-2015, 08:54 AM
There was strong bidding on the KBs and the SLCs. I had no success.

I thought they went at a very reasonable price Jerry. They seemed to be in excellent condition and the clarity was decent. I was surprised to see many cards including the KBats were not graded???

ullmandds
02-28-2015, 08:59 AM
I would not consign...or buy from legendary...and it seems the prices in general were reflective of this sentiment.

BeanTown
02-28-2015, 09:08 AM
I personally wouldn't consign to Legendary not knowing what will happen with the company. I would like to know if there is any consignors on this board that do consign with Legendary and what your thinking is on why you do. Just curious. Don't need guys blasting anyone why they do just what the draw to Legendary is over another company since there seems to be such a risk. Anyone willing to admit they do and there views on it and please guys don't jump on anyone that does.

Keith, Ill take the bait. Lol. What many consignors look for is protection (reserves) on high end lots. It wasnt until recently in the last 5 years that AHs common advertised reserves and it became a thing of the norm. Plus, the sellers commissions has dropped from paying 15 percent to where you recieve 10 percent back. But the biggest thing that any consignor should look at is the companies mailing list. I believe all the long running AHs have the simular lists. Heritage would be the exception as they would have a great cross over list with all the other collectible auctions they run.

Another big thing to think about when consigning to an AH is trust... Trust that they say they will do what they said they would at the time you gave them your consignments. Most AHs now have detailed contracts and are pretty good following thru on their promises. This can not be said 5 years ago or later on some AHs in the business.

Leon
02-28-2015, 09:23 AM
Keith, Ill take the bait. Lol. What many consignors look for is protection (reserves) on high end lots. It wasnt until recently in the last 5 years that AHs common advertised reserves and it became a thing of the norm. Plus, the sellers commissions has dropped from paying 15 percent to where you recieve 10 percent back. But the biggest thing that any consignor should look at is the companies mailing list. I believe all the long running AHs have the simular lists. Heritage would be the exception as they would have a great cross over list with all the other collectible auctions they run.

Another big thing to think about when consigning to an AH is trust... Trust that they say they will do what they said they would at the time you gave them your consignments. Most AHs now have detailed contracts and are pretty good following thru on their promises. This can not be said 5 years ago or later on some AHs in the business.

As long as everything is transparent things are usually ok. It's when people/companies say one thing and do another, they tend to have issues.

pawpawdiv9
02-28-2015, 11:19 AM
Wow, i didnt know any of this stuff. I won 1 lot - my 1st Cobb (which i posted in Feb p/ups)

calvindog
02-28-2015, 11:28 AM

Again, as per a federal indictment to which Doug Allen pleaded guilty and to which you testified in the grand jury, you and he conspired to shill bid up your lots you consigned to Mastro. Leon asked me not to hound you about your fraud and I won't -- but I don't think it's appropriate for you to discuss these issues and lie. Your written contract with Mastro surely did not say that Doug would bid for you in order to artificially inflate the price of your lots. His exact comment to you in an email was part of the indictment in which he was charged with fraud. Your "trust" with Doug about your consignments was a fraudulent, criminal understanding.

Maybe you and he trusted each other but the people who were ripped off obviously weren't part of that "trust."

Peter_Spaeth
02-28-2015, 11:42 AM

tiger8mush
02-28-2015, 12:21 PM
But the biggest thing that any consignor should look at is the companies mailing list.

How do you see an AH's mailing list?

turtleguy64
02-28-2015, 12:47 PM
you just hit one out of the park with your post.Thanks.my advice to Legendary: close it up.it's over.the trust bond was broken long ago.The Osers left with some dignity intact.You have to know when to fold 'em(thanks Kenny Rogers ).

BeanTown
02-28-2015, 05:39 PM
Hey Jeff Litchman. Why dont you just STFU!!!! You think you know the facts and you might be an expert debater. But you DONT!! I know your personality type well ! You have some facts and you try to fill in the blanks. You try to stir up strife and conflict when its not there.

Fact.. You never saw cell text records and I dont agree with everything that Doug did 5-7 years ago. You never saw contracts either. Plus, you were never apart of any meetings I had along with other consignors that I know of. So, jeff Litchman Im asking you to stop badgering me publically. I have read how your ethics have been brought into question in New York. Have you ever been investigated for ethics Jeff Litchman???? I have read that you accepted 150k cash from known people involved with illegal drugs. Im sure you reported that on your taxes as I read you filled out proper forms.

I could try to fill in theblanks on many things I read about you Jeff Litchman but I don't. I actually could care less and won't stoop to your level. I have left a message for you at your office and privately thru this board to fall upon def ears. So, Im asking you now to stop implying anything that has to do with me and consigning to any auction company. You have been hounding me for a month now and you need pound sand and STFU! Im sure there are laws about badgering people as you might know about? Plus being a social figure in New York you might want to tone it down on a public board.

Again, as per a federal indictment to which Doug Allen pleaded guilty and to which you testified in the grand jury, you and he conspired to shill bid up your lots you consigned to Mastro. Leon asked me not to hound you about your fraud and I won't -- but I don't think it's appropriate for you to discuss these issues and lie. Your written contract with Mastro surely did not say that Doug would bid for you in order to artificially inflate the price of your lots. His exact comment to you in an email was part of the indictment in which he was charged with fraud. Your "trust" with Doug about your consignments was a fraudulent, criminal understanding.

Maybe you and he trusted each other but the people who were ripped off obviously weren't part of that "trust."

BeanTown
02-28-2015, 05:42 PM
How do you see an AH's mailing list?

I would ask them how many people they mail out catalogs to. It would not surprise me if AHs sold their lists.

calvindog
02-28-2015, 06:05 PM
Hey Jeff Litchman. Why dont you just STFU!!!! You think you know the facts and you might be an expert debater. But you DONT!! I know your personality type well ! You have some facts and you try to fill in the blanks. You try to stir up strife and conflict when its not there.

Fact.. You never saw cell text records and I dont agree with everything that Doug did 5-7 years ago. You never saw contracts either. Plus, you were never apart of any meetings I had along with other consignors that I know of. So, jeff Litchman Im asking you to stop badgering me publically. I have read how your ethics have been brought into question in New York. Have you ever been investigated for ethics Jeff Litchman???? I have read that you accepted 150k cash from known people involved with illegal drugs. Im sure you reported that on your taxes as I read you filled out proper forms.

I could try to fill in theblanks on many things I read about you Jeff Litchman but I don't. I actually could care less and won't stoop to your level. I have left a message for you at your office and privately thru this board to fall upon def ears. So, Im asking you now to stop implying anything that has to do with me and consigning to any auction company. You have been hounding me for a month now and you need pound sand and STFU! Im sure there are laws about badgering people as you might know about? Plus being a social figure in New York you might want to tone it down on a public board.

JC, I'm allowed to accept cash from clients and I do so legally and ethically -- and I filled out the proper tax forms when receiving cash. Clearly your reading comprehension is as good as your ability to follow federal laws when consigning your cards to Mastro, i.e. not very good. Unlike you, I've never had to confess fraud to federal agents. Unlike you, I've never made as a condition of consigning my cards a promise from the auction house to let me shill bid my own lots.

And If you think that a scumbag fraudster like you -- who testified in the grand jury about the fraud you committed with Doug Allen -- is going to intimidate me you're dumber than your spelling would imply.

Peter_Spaeth
02-28-2015, 08:22 PM
Are def ears what people get from listening to too much Def Leppard?

begsu1013
02-28-2015, 08:44 PM
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m29/begsu1013/popcorn_zpson81crhs.gif

ullmandds
02-28-2015, 09:02 PM
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m29/begsu1013/popcorn_zpson81crhs.gif

that's creepy!

byrone
03-01-2015, 05:42 AM
Are def ears what people get from listening to too much Def Leppard?

One can't listen to too much Def Leppard :cool: