PDA

View Full Version : "Babe" Ruth, Ingraham Pocket Watch

jpop43
02-26-2015, 12:15 PM
Looking for some assistance with a c. 1940's Babe Ruth Pocket Watch.

It was made by the Ingraham Company in the USA and is in full working order.

Might anybody know the time frame during which this watch was made? Its desirability? Value?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Jonathan
www.dugouttreasures.com

vintagesportscollector
02-26-2015, 12:37 PM
I'm not very familiar with these, but I believe they were made in the late 40s and similar examples have sold for $800 or more. I've seen various examples with the same face but different hands and casing, so I am not sure why the subtle variations or if there were different manufacturers. Others may know that and if these were even faked.

jpop43
02-27-2015, 10:02 AM
Thanks, Joe. This not being my genre of vintage baseball collectible, I wanted to try and poll for some info and opinions before doing anything at all with it. Maybe there are some others who have had one or dealt one in the past...would love to hear about it.

vintagesportscollector
02-27-2015, 11:42 AM
Jon, there are about 6 of these under the current ebay sold listings, and 2 live auctions. All look a little different. Sold ones were selling for ~$200. I am stumped, but I suspect there are cheaper and more expensive makes, depending on manufacturer, and maybe some knock offs.

vintagesportscollector
02-27-2015, 01:07 PM
Jon, I remembered I have an old rather extensive library of antique and collectible guides. I pulled out "The Complete Guide to American Pocket Watches" from 1981. The Ingraham Watch Co. produced pocket watches from 1912 to 1968. They were the most prolific Low Cost Production watch manufacturer, having made over 65 million low cost watches. They are the least expensive watches in this guide, so aside from the Babe Ruth connection there is nothing special about the Case or Movement pieces.

jpop43
02-27-2015, 05:12 PM
Good to know...guess I just need to nail down the"Ruth Factor" and take it from there. Thanks again!