PDA

View Full Version : Joe Jackson photo - with a secret revealed

T206Jim
02-25-2015, 11:51 AM
I recently acquired a Joe Jackson photo in Rhys Yeakley's RMY Auctions monthly auction (They always have great stuff). It is a nice shot of a young Jackson, it has nice silvering, has the look and feel of an original when held in hand, shows a uniform only worn from 1910 to 1912 and has a The Cleveland News stamp on back; however, it has no visible date stamp as the photo has been mounted to a stiff piece of biege mounting board.

Runscott
02-25-2015, 11:55 AM
I can't wait to see this.

I've had a few photos mounted to old beige matting, and they always had a decent surprise.

T206Jim
02-25-2015, 11:55 AM
but here is the pleasant surprise that was revealed upon examination. I applied a strong LED light to backlight the photo, and what appears but a FEB 1912 date stamp visible on the reverse of the photo in the socks area before it was adhered to the mount. There is also the name "Joe Jackson" written across the chest on the reverse. As spring training 1912 did not start until March my best guess this photo was taken during the 1911 season. Sometimes curiosity has its benefits.

T206Jim
02-25-2015, 12:02 PM
Also has anyone seen the complete version of this photo which has obviously cut down?

pawpawdiv9
02-25-2015, 01:38 PM
Nice Jim! I looked over at blackbetsy and came up with the same photo you have-in which that stated 1912 too. http://www.blackbetsy.com/photosTheClevelandYears.html

T206Jim
03-21-2015, 04:34 PM
Here is the photo framed for display. I would really encourage my fellow photo collectors to frame some of their favorites, you will enjoy them each and every day.

Has anyone seen the complete untrimmed version of this photo? If so, I'd be really curious to see the entire image.

brian1961
03-21-2015, 11:35 PM
What a honey, Jim. That was an exceptional auction win, and now seeing it showcased in the frame---it's breathtaking!!!!!!!!! Congratulations, bro. Honestly, there isn't a Jackson trading card that looks better than your framed photo. Well done. ---Brian Powell

PS--bravo on your studious research to uncover the year the shot was taken. Your curiosity killed the "date unknown". With it being 1911, you could not have gotten a more special year, since that was his magnificent .400 season.

T206Jim
03-22-2015, 02:21 PM
Thanks for your comments on the photo and framing Brian. I was indeed fortunate on the auction as I only placed an aspirational bid. I had no real expectation of winning, but thrilled that I did.

brian1961
03-22-2015, 04:13 PM
Jim, I thought of an interesting idea. I wish it could happen---honest.

One of the cards I would have liked to have seen in the T-206 set is Joe Jackson. Seeing that the illustrious T-206 was issued from 1909--1911, that would make your 1911 photo plausible as a fantasy T-206 card. Done in a nicely cropped portrait, colorized in the rich gentle colors used in the set, showing the "C", with a pretty maroon background (or some color that contrasts nicely with the colorized portrait, but not the yellow of Nap Lajoie's portrait--give Joe his own background color), and Piedmont backside advertisement. Joe's youthful, exuberant smile melts your heart. It would make a perfect card. I know it.

The firm that did the Cracker Jack Babe Ruth fantasy for the National a couple years ago, then the 34-36 Batter-Ups for the National last year, would be the right people to make this card come to life. Have Joe Orlando and PSA get behind it and do their exclusive limited graded run of 500 numbered copies, with you being given any 5 cert numbers as a thank you for letting them borrow your photograph to do the card.

Anyway, the idea was kickin' around my head in the middle of the night. Just thought I'd share it with you, bro.

Regardless, thank you pal for sharing with us your great auction kill while the others slept!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ---Brian Powell