PDA

View Full Version : Record for an unsigned ticket stub? Not any more!

David Atkatz
02-22-2015, 03:14 PM
Heritage auction yesterday:

http://sports.ha.com/itm/baseball-collectibles/tickets/1939-lou-gehrig-day-new-york-yankees-ticket-stub-psa-authentic/a/7130-80155.s?ic2=mytracked-lotspage-lotlinks-12202013

Shoeless Moe
02-22-2015, 04:09 PM
I think previous high was 15K.

You must be feeling pretty good about that result.

Scott Garner
02-22-2015, 04:11 PM
Heritage auction yesterday:

http://sports.ha.com/itm/baseball-collectibles/tickets/1939-lou-gehrig-day-new-york-yankees-ticket-stub-psa-authentic/a/7130-80155.s?ic2=mytracked-lotspage-lotlinks-12202013

Hi David,
It is a record for this game ticket. I was at the auction last night in NYC and thought of you because I know you own a stub to this game. If I recall correctly, I believe yours has a nicer tear.

Congrats!

Shoeless Moe
02-22-2015, 04:11 PM
for a "stub" yes, for a full ticket:

http://sports.ha.com/itm/baseball/1927-world-series-game-four-full-ticket-psa-vg-ex-4/a/7100-80121.s

slidekellyslide
02-22-2015, 04:12 PM
Wow! How many tickets from that game are known?

sforaker
02-22-2015, 04:24 PM
I thought you might be interested. You can thank me, David. :) I have long admired your same ticket stub, but I thought you made it clear that it was not for sale (even at this outrageous price?). In my opinion, it is the best ticket stub one could own. Now you have a nice comp if you ever want to sell. Not a bad 25x ROI if you did. I understand that one of the few such stubs in existence sold a few years back in a private sale for $22k. This is only one of only three Gehrig "luckiest man" ticket stubs ever authenticated and I suspect that there are just a handful more like yours that are legit but not yet authenticated. So, a true iconic rarity.

David Atkatz
02-22-2015, 04:40 PM
As the Brits say, I'm gobsmacked!

slidekellyslide
02-22-2015, 04:45 PM
I thought you might be interested. You can thank me, David. :) I have long admired your same ticket stub, but I thought you made it clear that it was not for sale (even at this outrageous price?). In my opinion, it is the best ticket stub one could own. Now you have a nice comp if you ever want to sell. Not a bad 25x ROI if you did. I understand that one of the few such stubs in existence sold a few years back in a private sale for $22k. This is only one of only three Gehrig "luckiest man" ticket stubs ever authenticated and I suspect that there are just a handful more like yours that are legit but not yet authenticated. So, a true iconic rarity.

Only 3 known? Would have thought many more people would have stashed this one away in a scrapbook simply because of Gehrig's speech.

GKreindler
02-22-2015, 05:04 PM
Holy balls!!!!! What a price!!!! I still find it so amazing that so few stubs survived from that day considering how packed the stadium was.

David, imagine the history that the person saw when he/she was sitting in the stands clutching YOUR ticket. Badass.

Graig

PS: Scott, are you still in NY, per chance?

steve B
02-22-2015, 08:04 PM
For those of us who haven't joined because well, because there's nearly nothing in those auctions we can afford......

Please mention the prices being discussed? It would really help.
(And making someone join just to see a decent sized picture? Cmon heritage!)

Steve B

Darner
02-22-2015, 08:16 PM
The Lou Gehrig Day stub went for $26,290.

The 1927 World series full ticket was $41,825.

Scott Garner
02-22-2015, 10:29 PM
Holy balls!!!!! What a price!!!! I still find it so amazing that so few stubs survived from that day considering how packed the stadium was.

David, imagine the history that the person saw when he/she was sitting in the stands clutching YOUR ticket. Badass.

Graig

PS: Scott, are you still in NY, per chance?

Hi Graig,
Unfortunately, I flew back home this morning. :o
I had a great time watching all of the drama of a huge live sports auction, up close and personal, for the very 1st time. It's always been on my personal bucket list.

One huge side benefit was being able to see Johnny Vander Meer's personal last out balls from his 1st and 2nd consecutive no-hitters in 1938.

Overall, the items offered in this auction were truly amazing as were some of the prices realized. :eek:
Many thanks to net54's Peter Fishman and his NY crew of collectors that allowed me to hang with them last night. I also really enjoyed meeting Forbes contributor David Seideman and friends, discussing Mets baseball on Thursday. Good times!

Very cool! :)

steve B
02-23-2015, 07:26 AM
The Lou Gehrig Day stub went for $26,290.

The 1927 World series full ticket was $41,825.

Thanks Ed!

Fascinating what those go for, but not totally surprising considering the events the tickets were for.

Steve B

David Atkatz
02-26-2015, 10:23 AM
Well, that record didn't stand long.
Yesterday's Hunt auction:

http://huntauctions.com/phone/imageviewer.cfm?auction_num=129&lot_num=1823

Runscott
02-26-2015, 10:40 AM
How do you authenticate something like this? Certainly the 'primitive' printing was unusual for 1903. Just curious.

The offered specimen represents one of an elite population whose numbers are so minute confirmation is nearly impossible and likely less than three in total. Front of the ticket displays a simplistically primitive design having printed -Boston vs Pittsburg+ at the top in block lettering positioned above a large numeral -1+.

Shoeless Moe
02-26-2015, 12:00 PM
I understand those who collect all WS tix need that one, but what an eyesore.

Scott Garner
02-26-2015, 05:51 PM
How do you authenticate something like this? Certainly the 'primitive' printing was unusual for 1903. Just curious.

The offered specimen represents one of an elite population whose numbers are so minute confirmation is nearly impossible and likely less than three in total. Front of the ticket displays a simplistically primitive design having printed -Boston vs Pittsburg+ at the top in block lettering positioned above a large numeral -1+.

Scott,
This ticket's condition is simply just very weathered. It's not what it would have looked like due to the printing process. Other printed tickets from this era have distinctive clarity...

It's certainly scarce, but that's a lot of bongo bucks for a ticket in this condition.
I'm frankly surprised at the sell price, FWIW.

mcgwirecom
02-26-2015, 06:25 PM
They were expecting more for that. I think the auction estimate was $100,000.

perezfan
02-26-2015, 07:30 PM
I understand those who collect all WS tix need that one, but what an eyesore.

Well, at least the Ticket's color perfectly matches that of Hunt's antiquated website. Both are equally outdated and archaic :rolleyes:

MVSNYC
02-26-2015, 09:28 PM
Sorry, but isn't the record for a ticket stub, some of the 1903 WS stubs? They've gone for well over $50k, I believe, no?

Runscott
02-27-2015, 09:59 AM
Scott,
This ticket's condition is simply just very weathered. It's not what it would have looked like due to the printing process. Other printed tickets from this era have distinctive clarity...

It's certainly scarce, but that's a lot of bongo bucks for a ticket in this condition.
I'm frankly surprised at the sell price, FWIW.

Thanks Scott - the auction description had me thinking the printing process itself was 'primitive'. Obviously, even stuff from the mid 1800's has much more clarity.

MVSNYC
03-01-2015, 01:23 PM
Again, just confirming, hasn't there been several 1903 WS stubs that have set record prices ($50k+)?

Hankphenom
03-01-2015, 03:59 PM
Well, at least the Ticket's color perfectly matches that of Hunt's antiquated website. Both are equally outdated and archaic :rolleyes:

Just amazing they've never improved on the site. It must be plain stubbornness. Wonder how much money they've left on the table over the years because of it.

perezfan
03-01-2015, 04:06 PM
I am guessing tens of thousands...

But corresponding sales of Excedrin and Tylenol have most likely increased. I know that site has given me many a migraine :mad:

Runscott
03-01-2015, 06:16 PM
Bought a copy of the Smithsonian baseball book yesterday, and this was in it. Great book - B&N close-outs for $7.95

Gary Dunaier
03-03-2015, 01:43 PM
I still find it so amazing that so few stubs survived from that day considering how packed the stadium was.

Maybe a lot of stubs that were saved were sacrificed to the war effort in WWII paper drives.