PDA

View Full Version : Dexter Press Questions

whiteymet
02-20-2015, 12:20 PM
Gentlemen:

I don't know if this belongs in the Post War section or the Memorabilia Section. With Leon's blessing I may try to post it in both forums.

I am looking for help with some of the Dexter Press issues. I find their offering to be among the finest in the hobby. In trying to put together some sets I have run into some conundrums. Thus my below questions.

1. The SCD Standard Catalog lists the California Angels in the 1967 Team Posters. Can anyone verify it's existence? See example below:

2. The Trading Card Database shows a set of 16 1966 California Angels Cards. All of them show the players name above his head in a facsimile autograph. See:

http://www.tradingcarddb.com/ViewSet.cfm/sid/86988/1966-Dexter-Press-California-Angels

The SCD Standard Catalog states these come with and without borders.

I have the set WITH the borders,and also have a few WITHOUT borders. However I also have three exactly alike without borders, WITHOUT the signature above the head. Namely Chance, Fregosi and Knoop.Can anyone supply more names or have any info on these? Do not confuse them with the similar issue that came in the Angels Postcard booklet. These have different (postcard) backs. See below.

3. Again the Trading Card Database lists a set of 12 1968 Dexter Press All Star set. See:

http://www.tradingcarddb.com/ViewSet.cfm/sid/59478/1968-Dexter-Press-All-Stars

Questions: Has anyone heard of this, and if so, are the 12 All Stars different in any way from the same cards issued in the 1968 77 card set?

Finally for those of you who have heard of the 1967 Dexter Press Paul Schaal who is the only Angel issued with the set, but have never seen an example, see below. In my estimation this ranks up there with the 1963 Bateman Pepsi card in terms of rarity!

Thanks in advance for any help you can supply on the above questions.

Fred

Econteachert205
02-20-2015, 12:30 PM
Fred, I've just been staring at two 1968 aaron dexter press cards. One was listed as from the all star set on the trading card database, the other a psa 9 aaron example not marked as an all star variation. I can't see any difference whatsoever. Of course it could be a case like the 67s where only some of the all star var. are different ( thanks again for the help on that).

sb1
02-20-2015, 03:19 PM
How is the 1967 Paul Schaal different from the 1966? the one you posted looks like a 1966. We have a partial set of 1966's in our current auction. The Schaal looks just like the one you posted above.

http://www.b-lauctions.com/LotDetail.aspx?inventoryid=6257

whiteymet
02-20-2015, 03:23 PM
SIZE.

The 67 Dexter Press are 5"x7" while the 66 set is 4" x 5 7/8"

How is the 1967 Paul Schaal different from the 1966? the one you posted looks like a 1966. We have a partial set of 1966's in our current auction. The Schaal looks just like the one you posted above.

http://www.b-lauctions.com/LotDetail.aspx?inventoryid=6257

sb1
02-20-2015, 03:48 PM
Thanks, stupid me I could have looked that up I guess. sorry for the dumb question.

HRBAKER
02-20-2015, 04:30 PM
Aren't the 66s usually referred to as postcards?

steve B
02-20-2015, 08:38 PM
While you're looking, keep an eye out for stuff like this.

http://www.net54baseball.com/picture.php?albumid=123&pictureid=11482

The back of the Lonborg postcard (Which isn't a postcard at all is it?) printed on what I think is divider or packing material. Probably used either as a header for a package or separating layers of some number of cards in a stack, 100? 250?

The front is entirely blank except for being slightly darker and shiny.

Steve B

HRBAKER
02-21-2015, 09:23 AM
I love the '67s.
I am slowly working on a signed set, up to close to 120 diff.
The sets really suffers IMO by the lack of the Cardinals who were World Champs that season.

whiteymet
02-21-2015, 07:19 PM
Hi Steve:

I actually do have something just like it from the 67 set. Blank front on funky darker paper. I'll dig it out and post it soon.

Fred

While you're looking, keep an eye out for stuff like this.

http://www.net54baseball.com/picture.php?albumid=123&pictureid=11482

The back of the Lonborg postcard (Which isn't a postcard at all is it?) printed on what I think is divider or packing material. Probably used either as a header for a package or separating layers of some number of cards in a stack, 100? 250?

The front is entirely blank except for being slightly darker and shiny.

Steve B

whiteymet
02-21-2015, 07:22 PM
Thanks Dennis:

I just never heard of an All Star set for the 68 set before. If you find any with differences PLEASE LMK.

Fred

Fred, I've just been staring at two 1968 aaron dexter press cards. One was listed as from the all star set on the trading card database, the other a psa 9 aaron example not marked as an all star variation. I can't see any difference whatsoever. Of course it could be a case like the 67s where only some of the all star var. are different ( thanks again for the help on that).

drcy
02-21-2015, 09:08 PM
The dark ones were spacers. Years back I won a few factory boxes-- each box contained one player-- and they had the dark brown ones with blank fronts as spacers. I don't remember the count of regular cards per brown card, but 200 or 250 sounds reasonable. They are dark brown with a maroonish tint.

steve B
02-22-2015, 07:53 AM
That's great to know. I'd wondered if it was a spacer that was used or an error where the spacer material or a sheet of different stock to protect the normal stock got printed. Now I know what it is for sure.

On the downside I still need to find a card printed on the wrong sort of paper for my type set of printing errors.

Steve B

whiteymet
02-23-2015, 10:59 AM
Hi Guys:

As promised here is my 1967 Dexter Press spacer of Joe Torre. Just as we talked about it is on dark stock with a blank "front".

Interesting that Steve B. has one from the 68 set. They did them for both years.

I'm up to acquire one from the 68 set if anyone has one available. LMK.

Thanks,

Fred