PDA

View Full Version : Selling on BST

Prince Hal
02-19-2015, 08:58 AM
So I just sold a few things on the BST for the first time. I received multiple requests immediately. The first request asked for scans. An offer to purchase sight unseen came in after. I told the sight unseen person that i would wait for the first request to decline before selling it to him. His response was that usually sight unseen offers trump scan requested offers. is this the common practice? The person who requested the scans bought the items BTW.

ullmandds
02-19-2015, 09:06 AM
never heard of that "concept" before. usually the first to respond has priority in my opinion.

Jobu
02-19-2015, 09:15 AM
I don't think there is a standard, it is really up to the seller.

People often put something like "the first 'I'll take it gets it" which means the first person to say they will buy, scans or not, gets the item. Many people don't do this though, instead doing things as you have or in a different way.

vintagetoppsguy
02-19-2015, 09:15 AM
never heard of that "concept" before. usually the first to respond has priority in my opinion.

Peter, you must not use the BST much :D

Very often I see something like..."A commitment to buy takes precedence over ongoing negotiations"...or something like that.

Edited to add: I do agree with Bryan though - there is no standard - it is up to the seller.

Prince Hal
02-19-2015, 09:16 AM
My father always said "No good deed goes unpunished". The "purchaser" of course backed out.

drmondobueno
02-19-2015, 09:16 AM
[QUOTE=Prince Hal;1382275]So I just sold a few things on the BST for the first time. I received multiple requests immediately. The first request asked for scans. An offer to purchase sight unseen came in after. I told the sight unseen person that i would wait for the first request to decline before selling it to him. His response was that usually sight unseen offers trump scan requested offers. is this the common practice? The person who requested the scans bought the items BTW.[/

There is one board seller, probably more, who states very clearly in his listings that an offer to purchase trumps any negotiation in progress. That would seem to indicate he recognizes first come, first served, unless...maybe add that clarification, if you wish?

1952boyntoncollector
02-19-2015, 09:17 AM
right..it depends....if was 'first ill take it' on the listing that would imply no conditional acceptance.....then to me the sight unseen guy wins. because no conditions..

packs
02-19-2015, 09:20 AM
If someone makes an offer I will always negotiate with that person first. But if someone just requests a scan, that to me is not an offer and does not equal intention to buy.

frankbmd
02-19-2015, 09:26 AM
My mentor used to say "There's a pecking order around here, and I'm the big pecker."

Substitute seller in the above sentence. You did nothing wrong. I do agree that clarification of the pecking order in the listing could be helpful though for buyers.;)

freakhappy
02-19-2015, 09:28 AM
If someone makes an offer I will always negotiate with that person first. But if someone just requests a scan, that to me is not an offer and does not equal intention to buy.

I agree with this ^

Usually what I do when requesting a scan is to state that I'm interested, but want to see a pic first...this usually indicates to the seller that I'm serious about it.

I believe that if nothing is indicated in the seller's terms on his thread, then there are no rules and the seller is not obligated to one or the other. But as a buyer I am fully aware that if I am in the middle of talking with the seller, that I could be trumped if I don't commit. Save yourself the headache and think about this going into any transaction.

Just remember to communicate well. For some reason it's a lost art with some sellers around here [emoji16]

1952boyntoncollector
02-19-2015, 09:41 AM
I agree with this ^

Usually what I do when requesting a scan is to state that I'm interested, but want to see a pic first...this usually indicates to the seller that I'm serious about it.

I believe that if nothing is indicated in the seller's terms on his thread, then there are no rules and the seller is not obligated to one or the other. But as a buyer I am fully aware that if I am in the middle of talking with the seller, that I could be trumped if I don't commit. Save yourself the headache and think about this going into any transaction.

Just remember to communicate well. For some reason it's a lost art with some sellers around here [emoji16]

Of course you can just post a scan on the listing as well.....

freakhappy
02-19-2015, 09:43 AM
Of course you can just post a scan on the listing as well.....

That would be too easy...

But I respect it if other's do not post a scan and only do so by email

x2drich2000
02-19-2015, 09:55 AM
To me the first person to commit to the purchase gets the item. I've recently started putting this in my listings. The issue with ongoing negotiations is how long do you wait to hear back? More than once I've had people make an offer, I counter and ask them to let me know either way, and then I never hear back. Meanwhile the person who said they would take the item is left in limbo and may decide to purchase something else instead.

DJ

mybuddyinc
02-19-2015, 10:06 AM
As said by many above, you can set and follow your own guidelines. There is no right or wrong. However, try to stick to your guidelines.

I go with "I'll take it" trumps ongoing correspondence. At first this may sound harsh, and somewhat unfair. However, I have found, this is the most fair. It is also (once again, I find) the only way to stay organized and sane if selling multiple cards.

Potential buyer #1:

Can I have scans/prices of A, B, C, D, E.

Potential buyer #2:

Can I have scans/prices of B, C, E, F, G

Potential buyer #3:

I'll take A, C, G.

Do I wait for #1 to respond to get back to #2, or 1 and 2 to get back to 3? I could, but what happens if #1 never gets back to me? #2 is on the fence ............etc., etc. etc.................etc., etc. etc.....

Although the grand majority of members do respond in some form or another. There are still some that do not* (or as stated by OP, back out). These are also reasons I go with "I'll take it."

* Not to tell anyone what to do: However, if someone sends you your request, please respond. A "thanks, but no thanks" is sufficient. Even if you think the seller is way off, a "you're nuts" :rolleyes: response is better than nothing.

//// end of babble

Prince Hal
02-19-2015, 10:07 AM
Thanks all, learned a lot for next time. Guess I need to learn how to post scans as well.

packs
02-19-2015, 10:27 AM
Posting scans takes that issue out of the equation altogether.

For me, if someone messages me saying something like "would you take X?" and a second buyer says they'll pay my asking price, I'm going to sell it to the second buyer. To me an offer and an "I'll take it" are two different things. In the same vein as a listing on eBay that has both a "Best Offer" and "Buy It Now" option. If someone buys it now that trumps a best offer in my book.

slidekellyslide
02-19-2015, 11:12 AM
I got booted off of a local facebook buy/sell page because I didn't wait around all day for a lady to ask her husband if it was okay to purchase a stroller. The second person "in line" was a friend of my brother's so I sold him the stroller. The first lady "in line" raised a stink and I was booted. I didn't realize that I had to wait 6 hours for the first person to decide if they wanted to buy it. I wanted it gone. I ended up having to block this lady as she started sending me nasty PMs.

That said, if I were you I would have sold the card to the guy who wanted it sight unseen...first guy didn't commit.

tiger8mush
02-19-2015, 12:03 PM
I have purchased many cards that otherwise I wouldn't have been interested in simply because of the scan.

Its as easy as posting a message. Type up your message, scroll down to "manage attachments" (pop-up window opens), click "browse", find the file on your computer and click "ok", click "upload", close the attachments window, and post your message.

I don't understand NOT putting the picture in the message if you are going to offer to email it to people. Why make them email you? You'll have a wider audience if you post the pic in the message. If you can email it to them, just post it instead. Saves you lots of time too!

Good luck!
Rob
:)

iwantitiwinit
02-19-2015, 12:52 PM

Agree

ullmandds
02-19-2015, 01:11 PM
I have purchased many cards that otherwise I wouldn't have been interested in simply because of the scan.

Its as easy as posting a message. Type up your message, scroll down to "manage attachments" (pop-up window opens), click "browse", find the file on your computer and click "ok", click "upload", close the attachments window, and post your message.

I don't understand NOT putting the picture in the message if you are going to offer to email it to people. Why make them email you? You'll have a wider audience if you post the pic in the message. If you can email it to them, just post it instead. Saves you lots of time too!

Good luck!
Rob
:)

agreed...it seems absurd to me to NOT post scans of cards for sale...just making more work in the long run. I TOO have purchased cards because I can see them...I'd never have thought to buy in the first place.

brookdodger55
02-19-2015, 01:44 PM
To avoid all confusion put up scans at time of listing with first I'll take it either through Pm or Post. Yes, first response with I'll take it gets it. With giving the person ample time to respond with payment, Sometimes people are at work or on the road. Just a thought,
Mike

edjs
02-19-2015, 01:50 PM
I got booted off of a local facebook buy/sell page because I didn't wait around all day for a lady to ask her husband if it was okay to purchase a stroller. The second person "in line" was a friend of my brother's so I sold him the stroller. The first lady "in line" raised a stink and I was booted. I didn't realize that I had to wait 6 hours for the first person to decide if they wanted to buy it. I wanted it gone. I ended up having to block this lady as she started sending me nasty PMs.

That said, if I were you I would have sold the card to the guy who wanted it sight unseen...first guy didn't commit.

Dan, what series of stroller was it? Was it NM, or PF? Did it have a numerical grade? Was it a limited edition? Was it a rare error stroller? What is the pop report? Did it have provenance...

Sorry to go off topic, I just couldn't resist:D

autograf
02-19-2015, 02:12 PM
PICS PICS PICS

SO much easier if you post the picture in the scan. It eliminates one thing that can impede a transaction........

Centauri
02-19-2015, 04:19 PM
I have been a regular buyer and seller on BST (Thanks Leon!). I have had nothing but positive interactions as a buyer, but I did have some miffed customers as a seller when I sold a lot and had several interested. In my view, there is nothing to get upset about here. It is not the easiest process to communicate, not like an auction or whatever. I agree with the poster who said just try to be consistent with your standards.

Mikehealer
02-19-2015, 04:50 PM
agreed...it seems absurd to me to NOT post scans of cards for sale...just making more work in the long run. I TOO have purchased cards because I can see them...I'd never have thought to buy in the first place.

Come on Pete, as long as the seller states that his off center "5" looks like an "8"
who needs to see it.

ullmandds
02-19-2015, 04:52 PM
true true Mike...I'm so untrusting!!!! I'd buy a card without a scan from a texan though!

Leon
02-19-2015, 04:57 PM
true true Mike...I'm so untrusting!!!! I'd buy a card without a scan from a texan though!

I represent that statement!!

Luke
02-19-2015, 05:04 PM
If Prospective Buyer B says "I'll take it" while Prospective Buyer A is still asking questions, how can there even be a question of who gets to buy the card? If Prospective Buyer A gets upset about this, they really don't have a leg to stand on. It's the only fair way to do business in my opinion. On ebay, once someone clicks the Buy in now button, they get it, no matter how many questions anyone else has asked the seller.

Rollingstone206
02-19-2015, 05:16 PM

Eric72
02-19-2015, 06:09 PM
I tend to place, "first one to post, 'I'll take it' within this thread has priority." In that scenario, the board's software clearly shows who the buyer is.

Of course, I am probably wrong for doing this, as some people may not want to publicize that they are buying a baseball card...on an Internet forum dedicated to baseball cards.

Oh well, such is life. One cannot possibly hope to please (read, cater to) everyone.

As it pertains to the discussion at hand, I feel as though an offer to purchase an item at asking price trumps ongoing negotiations to secure said item at a discount. Hagglers surely know the chess match they are playing and cannot realistically hope to win every time.

Just my two cents.

Best regards,

Eric

Jantz
02-19-2015, 08:42 PM
Posting scans takes that issue out of the equation altogether.

+1

No scan=no sale

freakhappy
02-19-2015, 08:56 PM
+1

No scan=no sale

Makes sense if you have a small to moderate amount to sell, but there are several members that have a ton to sell and they are very successful sending pics via request.

In a perfect world It definitely makes for a lot smoother transaction

the 'stache
02-20-2015, 11:28 AM
I've never understood why people create more work for themselves by posting "message me for scans". It takes me about four minutes to scan a card, crop it in Photoshop, and upload it to imageshack. Isn't it worth those four minutes of work to put the card up, state your terms, and get firm offers, eliminating the back and forth?

Each individual seller should have their own protocol.

packs
02-20-2015, 12:05 PM
I don't understand the no scan thing either. I don't want to send you an e-mail and waste my time on a card I might not even be interested in. Let me decide up front.

rjackson44
02-20-2015, 12:36 PM
agree with bill don't get it

Bocabirdman
02-20-2015, 12:52 PM
To quote Ricky Nelson, "You can't please everyone, so ya gots to please yourself." There is no standard. Do what makes sense for you and your customers.:)

slidekellyslide
02-20-2015, 01:01 PM
Dan, what series of stroller was it? Was it NM, or PF? Did it have a numerical grade? Was it a limited edition? Was it a rare error stroller? What is the pop report? Did it have provenance...

Sorry to go off topic, I just couldn't resist:D

Jogging stroller in NM-M condition. Got one day of use at Adventureland. :D

edited to add: not slabbed

packs
02-20-2015, 01:02 PM
Do you guarantee it'll grade numerically?

Eric72
02-20-2015, 01:16 PM
Jogging stroller in NM-M condition. Got one day of use at Adventureland. :D

edited to add: not slabbed

More importantly, why did you not post front and back pics in this thread?:D