PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here collect Perez Steele postcards?

hawaiian bam bam
02-17-2015, 08:59 PM
Anyone here collect signed Perez Steele postcards?

dgo71
02-18-2015, 01:12 AM
I collect them, I wish someone would take those over to keep the set going. I don't think Dick Perez even did portraits of the inductees last year. They look amazing signed and aside from Waner and Paige, a complete set of possible signers isn't completely out of the question. That said, a few, like Ashburn, Averill, Alston, Coveleski and a few others are quite expensive due to those men passing shortly after the cards were issued.

johnmh71
02-18-2015, 04:22 PM
I collect them too. I have about 20 or so.

SikSyko
02-18-2015, 04:27 PM
I'm up to 87 for the HOF set. I may get some of the ones with cuts attached to them for the deceased players once I'm down to the high end ones.

hawaiian bam bam
02-18-2015, 06:41 PM
Thank you very much for your response guys. Glad to see other perez steele collectors here too. I really love the perez steele postcards. i think there is a possible 107 or 108 possible signed? the rest would have to be cut signatures attached to them. I emailed dick perez and asked if he had any plans to do an "update" set with the newer HOFers and he said that is something he is considering doing but not something thats going to happen in the next few years. it really would be nice to have perez steeles of all of the newer HOFers but it looks like that isnt going to happen. Im in very good contact with Mr. Perez and if I I hear of any changes from him. I will let you all know.

dgo71
02-18-2015, 06:57 PM
That would be great, I had no idea he even considered updating the set. Please keep us posted if you hear any news to that end.

And yes, 108 total, if you count Campanella, which I do.

hawaiian bam bam
02-18-2015, 08:21 PM
yes, and i forgot to mention above, if he did do an update, it would be an actual book of the updated players, not the actual postcards, however it would include the players where he left off until the newest class. so, even though not postcards, it would still be cool to see perez steeles of newer hof members.

dgo71
02-18-2015, 08:30 PM
Ah. That's not as exciting to me since all but the last year's class can be found by doing Google searches. Perez sold off a lot of his original paintings, so the images of the newer HOFers are not hard to find (albeit without the players' names in that distinctive P/S font).

I really wish someone would pick up the baton and keep the postcard series going. I have to imagine he'd have no trouble finding a company to sponsor that, if that's the problem. In fact, at one point I had heard that Topps might have been interested in it, but knowing them, they'd screw it up somehow. Like instead of postcards, they'd be some horrible chrome refractor inserts or something.

Cooptown
02-18-2015, 08:42 PM
I thought I had heard a rumor that it became a cost issue: trying to negotiate the use of players image with the players and their families. The players apparently kept demanding more and more money.

hawaiian bam bam
02-18-2015, 09:29 PM
i actually remember reading that somewhere too. not sure where. but i do remember reading that.

Whats the best way to store perez steele slabs? how do you guys store yours? they seem so bulky and hard to put in an album to view. any suggestions?

dgo71
02-19-2015, 12:49 AM
I thought I had heard a rumor that it became a cost issue: trying to negotiate the use of players image with the players and their families. The players apparently kept demanding more and more money.

That's a typical and unfortunate sign of the times. How much money do these guys need? Sad.

Also, I didn't think 108 sounded exactly right, so I referred to my list, and it's actually 104 possible signed P/S.

Lloyd Waner is by far the most rare, I believe I heard that there might be only one authentic one out there. I hope that's not the case, but either way, it's incredibly hard to find and understandably expensive.

Following Waner, in no particular order, would be Satchel Paige, Walt Alston, Joe Cronin and Earl Averill. In the next group down, still tough to find but not as tough, would be Stan Coveleski, Red Ruffing, Waite Hoyt, Burleigh Grimes, Kirby Puckett and Richie Ashburn.

hawaiian bam bam
02-19-2015, 08:28 AM
I have an extra Puckett and grimes if anyone needs them. They are tough to find.

brooklynbaseball
02-21-2015, 10:38 AM
I've been collecting the set for years. I am down to needing Nolan Ryan, who I have not gotten around to mailing to, and replacing my Satchel Paige, which I sold as I was not thrilled with the signature. I also sold my Paul Kerr, as I was made an offer I would've been dumb to refuse, but once I see another one up for sale, I might jump back in.

hawaiian bam bam
03-03-2015, 06:55 PM
very cool. i think nolan ryan is going to do a signing at his foundation soon.

im glad to see other perez steele collectors here!

hawaiian bam bam
03-08-2015, 03:36 PM
do they make ultra pro pages that hold perez steele psa holders by chance? do you guy put the slabs in one of those team set type bags to prevent scratching or just stack the slabs together? thanks

dgo71
03-10-2015, 12:57 AM
Personally, I don't have mine slabbed, and ones that I've bought slabbed I've cracked out. I have them in normal 5x7 hard plastics.