PDA

View Full Version : Fanatics Authentic

carlsonjok
02-14-2015, 03:42 PM
I wanted to see if anyone here has had experience with Fanatics Authentic out of Jacksonville?

I've been working on getting my 1963 Fleer set autographed and Fanatics Authentic held a Autograph signing on October 17-19 last year. One of the signers was Ruben Amaro. I sent in my card, along with a check for the designated amount along with return shipping. I found out that Amaro ended up cancelling his appearance. Two weeks after the event, my check was cashed, shortly after that, my card was returned to me. Also in the envelope was a note stating that a refund check would be issued shortly.

Except a check wasn't issued. In January I called them twice about the issue, never getting anything but voicemail. The check did eventually come in the mail and I deposited it last weekend. Today, I get a letter from my bank containing an Advice of Unpaid Deposited Items, which was (as you probably guessed) the refund check from Fanatics. To add insult to injury, my bank charged me $5 for depositing a bad check. So, now my total loss is $29.99. Not a princely sum, to be sure, but there is a principle involved.

So, are these guys legit and this is an unfortunate set of circumstances? Or am I dealing with a shady group and I have no chance of ever seeing my money again?

MooseDog
02-14-2015, 07:45 PM
I hope I don't offend any other legitimate collectors in Florida, but I would be very suspicious of dealing with just about any autograph "dealers" in that state with the sole exception of BILL CORCORAN, long time friend and mentor.

earlywynnfan
02-14-2015, 09:58 PM
I hope I don't offend any other legitimate collectors in Florida, but I would be very suspicious of dealing with just about any autograph "dealers" in that state with the sole exception of BILL CORCORAN, long time friend and mentor.

Agree with 99% of this, but Rich Altman is pretty good, too.

keithsky
02-15-2015, 06:53 AM
Not real sure but I think Fanatics is a division of Mounted Memories. Thought I saw that somewhere.

carlsonjok
02-15-2015, 07:26 AM
Not real sure but I think Fanatics is a division of Mounted Memories. Thought I saw that somewhere.

That is correct. The check I received from them said both Fanatics and Mounted Memories on it.

Scott Garner
02-15-2015, 07:42 AM
That is correct. The check I received from them said both Fanatics and Mounted Memories on it.

It's been a while since I have done anything with Mounted Memories, but they have always been a quality company to work with in the past. I might consider dealing directly with MM moving forward. They should be able to help you recover your money plus the bounced check fee.

Fuddjcal
02-15-2015, 11:59 AM
bouncing a check for 24.99, now that's funny. Nice legitimate company there. I would take them to small claims court and sue them for 3 times the amount, just for fun:D because they are obviously complete losers.

drcy
02-15-2015, 12:36 PM
Fanatics is a big company. It runs the game used auctions and sales for many MLB and NFL teams and is one of the biggest retailers of licensed NFL/NBA/MLB jerseys etc. The founder is a billionaire and part owner of the Philadelphia 76ers. Can imagine many possible complaints against them, including customer service, but wouldn't imagine a bad check being one of them.

mschwade
02-16-2015, 10:00 AM
I wanted to see if anyone here has had experience with Fanatics Authentic out of Jacksonville?

I've been working on getting my 1963 Fleer set autographed and Fanatics Authentic held a Autograph signing on October 17-19 last year. One of the signers was Ruben Amaro. I sent in my card, along with a check for the designated amount along with return shipping. I found out that Amaro ended up cancelling his appearance. Two weeks after the event, my check was cashed, shortly after that, my card was returned to me. Also in the envelope was a note stating that a refund check would be issued shortly.

Except a check wasn't issued. In January I called them twice about the issue, never getting anything but voicemail. The check did eventually come in the mail and I deposited it last weekend. Today, I get a letter from my bank containing an Advice of Unpaid Deposited Items, which was (as you probably guessed) the refund check from Fanatics. To add insult to injury, my bank charged me $5 for depositing a bad check. So, now my total loss is $29.99. Not a princely sum, to be sure, but there is a principle involved.

So, are these guys legit and this is an unfortunate set of circumstances? Or am I dealing with a shady group and I have no chance of ever seeing my money again?

I've done mail send-ins through Fanatics Authentic before and had no issues.

carlsonjok
03-07-2015, 07:24 AM
Not that it matters a lot since this thread had scrolled off the front page, but I did want to followup and state that Fanatics Authentic did make this right. Within a few days of contacting them, they sent a replacement check which did clear.

I have to assume that there some unusual happenstance that caused the problem. Like the time I put one too few zeros after an entry in the check register and ended up bouncing a check to our farrier (gentlemen who are not exactly know for their sparkling personality and forgiving nature.)