PDA

View Full Version : A Few Random Collecting and Net54 Tips

Jobu
02-13-2015, 07:37 AM
I thought I would post a random collection of a few things that I have found useful since I got back into collecting last July. Please add any other tips that you have. I realize that this thread is ripe for exploitation by smart asses.... and I say let it rip!

1) Scanning:

To get those nice, uniform black backgrounds (and images with truer colors that require less, and often no, tweaks to get them to look like the card) scan your cards in a somewhat dark room (just make sure there are no lights above/near the scanner) with the lid of the scanner open (hat tip to atx840). You can then use a photo editing program to arrange the cards in a seamless single image because the black backgrounds around every card match perfectly.

Scanning raw cards can be difficult because the glass on the scanner is usually surrounded by a plastic lip that makes it impossible to gently slide raw cards off of the glass. Scanning in top loaders or plastic sleeves also isn't desirable because they reduce image quality and can add weird reflections and scratches. There are two options here: 1) scan cards directly on the glass and use a top loader to carefully lift them off the scanner. 2) Go to the hardware store and have them cut a piece of glass just smaller than the scanner bed (costs a couple of bucks). Cover the corners for safety (but not the edges bc you want to be able to slide the cards off the edge). You can then scan raw cards out of their holders and gently slide them off of the glass with no lip at the edge so there is no risk of damage unless you drop the card.

This is more obvious, but most scanners have a DPI (dots per square inch) option somewhere, sometimes under the advanced option. Set this as high as possible for the best images.

2) Net54 posts:

I have seen people complain about having to click through tons of pages on long threads. If you go to User CP --> Settings and Options (clicking on Edit Options) --> Thread Display Options (Number of Posts to Display Per Page) you can set this to 80 to increase the number of posts per page.

3) Searching Net 54:

The search feature built in to Net54 is, shall we say, less than perfect. A far better way to search the forum for old posts is to go to Google and type "search site:www.net54baseball.com" followed by a space and then whatever it is that you want to search for. This will let you use Boolean operators built into Google that Net54 doesn't allow (AND and OR) and quotation marks to search for an exact phrase. It is much better than using the forum's search option.

Thromdog
02-13-2015, 06:10 PM
One advice for selling is an option to use paypal shipping. It's not easy to find through the paypal site.

http://www.ebay.com/gds/Secret-PayPal-Shipping-Labels-Stamps-off-eBay-Mailing-/10000000007215096/g.html

The link to ship is about half way down the page above.

I use it all the time for shipping items I have sold through Net54. And it even lets you get the confirmation for free.

Easily have used it 25-30 times in the last year.

digdugdig
02-13-2015, 07:35 PM
One advice for selling is an option to use paypal shipping. It's not easy to find through the paypal site.

http://www.ebay.com/gds/Secret-PayPal-Shipping-Labels-Stamps-off-eBay-Mailing-/10000000007215096/g.html

The link to ship is about half way down the page above.

I use it all the time for shipping items I have sold through Net54. And it even lets you get the confirmation for free.

Easily have used it 25-30 times in the last year.

You can go straight to paypal @ http://www.paypal.com/shipnow, just remember to turn your pop up blocker off before printing label.

Jobu
02-22-2015, 11:31 AM
Thanks for adding on Jeff and Doug. Anyone else?

Jobu
07-10-2016, 01:15 PM
I would like to add image upload failed and editing the title of a post following recent conversations with a few members.

This usually means that the file size of the image you tried to upload is too large. Many images are 2-3 MB and Net54 acts like it will upload these but the does not do it. (To see how large your image is, either right click on the icon and click "properties" to see the size or left click on it when it is in a folder and look at the bottom left of the folder, it will tell you the size.)

To make your image smaller you need to compress it, something that is done differently in every photo program. If you have a program you like, Google compress image and the name of the program and you will almost certainly find a step-by-step guide on how to accomplish this easy task.

Editing the title of a post:

This is useful in the BST so that you can mark an item as sold in the title to keep people from clicking on an item that is no longer available (and remember, there is no need to reply to a post to say that it is sold as that just bumps your now closed thread to the top above other active sale threads - if you edit the original post and title it doesn't get bumped to the top).

On the bottom right of your original post is a button that says "edit". If you click this you are able to edit the body of your post but not the title. To do that you need to then click "go advanced" and you are then able to edit away.

ajjohnsonsoxfan
07-10-2016, 04:27 PM
Is there a net54 setting that lets you go right to the thread # you last read? I know some forums have this built in.

07-10-2016, 04:37 PM
Is there a net54 setting that lets you go right to the thread # you last read? I know some forums have this built in.

The Tapatalk app does:

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160710/d227e1a91767b14eee9847b3a5eaa092.png

irv
07-10-2016, 06:03 PM
I thought I would post a random collection of a few things that I have found useful since I got back into collecting last July. Please add any other tips that you have. I realize that this thread is ripe for exploitation by smart asses.... and I say let it rip!

1) Scanning:

To get those nice, uniform black backgrounds (and images with truer colors that require less, and often no, tweaks to get them to look like the card) scan your cards in a dark room with the lid of the scanner open (hat tip to atx840).

Giving this a try.

Nuxhall #1 was scanned sometime ago with default settings and the lid closed.
Nuxhall #2 was just scanned with lid open, default settings and lights turned off and PC screen somewhat protected from the scanner.

Edit: I like it!!

Thanks, Bryan!

markf31
07-10-2016, 06:45 PM

In the list of threads, click on the little down arrow http://i1119.photobucket.com/albums/k638/markf31/firstnew_zpsvttp2lqy.gif just to the left of the thread title, and that will open the thread at the post you last read.

Jobu
07-10-2016, 07:40 PM
Glad to hear that you like it - if you get a piece of glass cut you can easily scan it without the top loader and it will look even better!

Giving this a try.

Nuxhall #1 was scanned sometime ago with default settings and the lid closed.
Nuxhall #2 was just scanned with lid open, default settings and lights turned off and PC screen somewhat protected from the scanner.

Edit: I like it!!

Thanks, Bryan!

Jobu
07-10-2016, 07:41 PM
Nice Mark, I didn't know that but I can say that this tip would have made my life a lot easier during the Mastro shill list thread!

In the list of threads, click on the little down arrow http://i1119.photobucket.com/albums/k638/markf31/firstnew_zpsvttp2lqy.gif just to the left of the thread title, and that will open the thread at the post you last read.

irv
07-10-2016, 08:24 PM
Glad to hear that you like it - if you get a piece of glass cut you can easily scan it without the top loader and it will look even better!

I read that but I don't believe I'll do it as I am likely to damage the edges of my cards putting them back in the holders like I likely did 25 yrs ago when I first received my cards?

If I could get sleeves that would hold my cards as well as the compatible holders that would accept the sleeves, I wouldn't hesitate, but from what I have been told, they sleeve/holder combo for these somewhat over sized 52 Topps card are no longer available?

Jobu
07-10-2016, 08:57 PM
If that is the worry then stick with the top loaders and don't bother with the sleeves. Penny sleeves make for awful scans because of the glare and a prism/rainbow effect they give off where the sleeve isn't flat.

I read that but I don't believe I'll do it as I am likely to damage the edges of my cards putting them back in the holders like I likely did 25 yrs ago when I first received my cards?

If I could get sleeves that would hold my cards as well as the compatible holders that would accept the sleeves, I wouldn't hesitate, but from what I have been told, they sleeve/holder combo for these somewhat over sized 52 Topps card are no longer available?

irv
07-10-2016, 09:56 PM
If that is the worry then stick with the top loaders and don't bother with the sleeves. Penny sleeves make for awful scans because of the glare and a prism/rainbow effect they give off where the sleeve isn't flat.

If I could get the sleeves that fit the holders then I'd remove the cards from both to scan them. Getting just the card back into the holder without the sleeve, creates the problem.

Putting the cards into penny sleeves first then the holder removes a lot or risk imo.

I was told at a local card shop that the sleeves for these holders for these 52 Topps cards are no longer available but I guess I should do some research to verify that?

Thanks again for your tips. Think I am going to be re-scanning a lot of my cards now. :D

Billy5858
07-11-2016, 01:42 AM

Thanks.......I was wondering why that arrow in a box was there.......Net54 101

mrvster
07-11-2016, 05:24 AM
and great thread!

my tip.....

enjoy:)

Jobu
09-06-2016, 02:18 PM
Do you have someone here who annoys you so much that you never want to see another post from him?

Click on "User CP" in the menu bar, scroll down the left column to "Edit Ignore List", enter the username, and presto! no more posts.

irv
09-06-2016, 03:11 PM
Do you have someone here who annoys you so much that you never want to see another post from him?

Click on "User CP" in the menu bar, scroll down the left column to "Edit Ignore List", enter the username, and presto! no more posts.

Uh oh! :D

I see you use Flickr as well, Jobu.

I recently uploaded my 52 Topps (in my sig) using your lid open/lights off technique but had to use "photo stream" to do so??

I want albums and was hoping once I photo streamed them, I could get them into an album but so far haven't had any luck.

I am not computer savy, as you can tell, but if you have any tips, I am all ears.

Thanks. :)

Jobu
09-06-2016, 04:06 PM
Hey Irv --- photo stream is the record of all of your uploads (newest at the top). There are a few ways to get scans into albums:

1) To easily move multiple photos that are already posted: From your photo stream page, look to the right and you will see "Create New Album". Click that and you are taken to a page where you can name the album on the left. Then take the pictures you want in that album from the icons at the bottom and drag them into the open space. You can change the order by clicking and dragging them around once they are in the open space. When you are done, go to the bottom left and click "save" and you are finished. (Photos can be in multiple albums.)

2) To move a single photo that is already posted: Open the single scan and scroll down. On the bottom right you will see a small link that says "add to album". Click on this - you can add it to an existing album or create a new album by clicking "create new album".

3) Photos not yet uploaded: The easiest way to put photos into albums is when you first upload the images. To do this you start the upload as you normally would. When you are on the preview screen that says in the browser tab "Ready to Upload" you can click the image(s) you want (hold down control and click on the images to select several at once) and then click "Add to Albums" on the left with the images high lighted. Pick your album(s). When you upload the pics they will go to your photo stream and all the albums that you chose. NOTE: you can also rename all of the individual images on this page by clicking on the files names.

irv
09-06-2016, 06:45 PM
Hey Irv --- photo stream is the record of all of your uploads (newest at the top). There are a few ways to get scans into albums:

1) To easily move multiple photos that are already posted: From your photo stream page, look to the right and you will see "Create New Album". Click that and you are taken to a page where you can name the album on the left. Then take the pictures you want in that album from the icons at the bottom and drag them into the open space. You can change the order by clicking and dragging them around once they are in the open space. When you are done, go to the bottom left and click "save" and you are finished. (Photos can be in multiple albums.)

2) To move a single photo that is already posted: Open the single scan and scroll down. On the bottom right you will see a small link that says "add to album". Click on this - you can add it to an existing album or create a new album by clicking "create new album".

3) Photos not yet uploaded: The easiest way to put photos into albums is when you first upload the images. To do this you start the upload as you normally would. When you are on the preview screen that says in the browser tab "Ready to Upload" you can click the image(s) you want (hold down control and click on the images to select several at once) and then click "Add to Albums" on the left with the images high lighted. Pick your album(s). When you upload the pics they will go to your photo stream and all the albums that you chose. NOTE: you can also rename all of the individual images on this page by clicking on the files names.

Thanks, Bryan! :)

irv
09-07-2016, 06:15 PM

Got them in albums, Bryan. Thanks again! :)

I just labeled/listed/uploaded them backwards (4 to 1 instead of 1 to 4) but hopefully I figure it out through editing and can put them in order?

I did add some pics I missed after the fact which are now out of alphabetical order (Dimaggio ex) so hopefully I can correct that as well?

I utilized Leon's free album upload as well, and truth be told, it was pretty easy!

philliesfan
09-07-2016, 06:27 PM
When I am finished scanning a raw card, I use a penny sleeve (using the corner) to slide under the card to make it easier to pick up.
Robert

Mdmtx
09-07-2016, 07:49 PM
Irv,

Ultra makes vintage top loaders and soft sleeves for 52-56 topps and 53-55 bowman. Just an FYI.

Mark

irv
09-08-2016, 04:11 AM
Irv,

Ultra makes vintage top loaders and soft sleeves for 52-56 topps and 53-55 bowman. Just an FYI.

Mark

Thanks Mark.

I have 200 top loaders on order but the dealer is also having trouble getting the sleeves.

Said it has been months waiting for them to come in.

I will call again today.

Thanks for the reminder. :)