PDA

View Full Version : Exhibits backs

JTysver
02-11-2015, 08:02 AM
I am not too familiar with Exhbit Cards, but I have a couple that I'm not sure exactly if they are official Exhibit cards.
Please help me if you know something about these.

Most exhibits that I have seen slabbed or know they are reliable have a greyish dull back. In the mid 90s I picked up 8 "exhibits", 2 Williams, 2 Musials, 2 DiMaggios and 2 Mantles, each has a dupe.
The Williams and DiMaggio are in the 1939-1946 pose and The DiMaggio appears to be a reddish sepia tone, The Mantle and Musial are in the 1947-1966 pose.

Having a printing background, I examined these under a loupe. The dot pattern is clean and these don't appear to be built from a scan as it was really before the age of being capable of recreating on a computer. They don't appear to be reproductions and the pics match up to either the 39-46 or 47-66 exhibits.
The concern I have is that these seem to have lighter (and even whitish) backs and the backs seem to be semi-glossy or they have a sheen which doesn't match the more frequently found grey backs. which are dull.

I started to believe these were from the 1980 set but then I saw the cards in that set and these are not the same poses.

Can anyone tell me something about these?

Rickyy
02-11-2015, 10:35 AM
There are several Exhibit card collectors/experts (Adam, Scott, Fred) who can chime in also...but period exhibit cards have cream colored or tannish colored backs.... Grey and White Backs are later reprints....

Here is a good discussion about this from an old thread...started by Scott
http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=117276&highlight=exhibit+backs

if you do a search function and type in Exhibits...you will also find a lot of great past threads regarding these cards.

Ricky Y

Exhibitman
02-11-2015, 10:43 AM
Scans would be very helpful.

There are three varieties of counterfeits of the postwar issues that I know of:

1. Printed on gray chipboard and feel and look low quality. They originate in the 1970s or 1980s.
2. Printed on slightly thicker stock than a genuine card that has bright white paper on both sides.
3. Printed on thinner creamy stock that typically has a thin border around the card. This latter format may be a pirate issue rather than a counterfeit. I have seen these in boxing and entertainment cards. I just bought two of them myself. They are not rescreened from existing cards but appear to be made from the original art.

There was also a wallpaper border made about 30 years ago using the artwork of many star cards from the postwar set [and no, I do not have it in my bedroom]. If this border was cut up it would look like a card.

If the card fronts have small numbers on them you may have a Canadian card rather than a fake or pirate issue. Some exhibits were contemporaneously printed and issued in Canada. They are on darker, lower grade stock. They are treated as genuine cards, though I am not certain they were made by the Exhibit Supply Company itself. Joe D. would be #28, Williams would be #30, Musial would be #57; there is no Canadian Mantle.