PDA

View Full Version : Vintage Cubs Collectors - Input appreciated to learn more about this item

Golfcollector
02-10-2015, 10:02 PM
Yet another unusual item from the collection I recently purchased.

I don't know who the players are, (actually I am being lazy and hope someone can identify them)

This is a postcard like photo with a blank back. It appears to be a real photo on heavier card stock.

The card is signed as follows;

To "Rip" Collins: A fellow who's plenty good. Appears to be signed Ira???

I found a Rip Collins that played for the Cubs as a catcher in 1940
There is also a James Anthony "Ripper" Collins that played for the cubs in 1937 and 1938.

IS one of the guys in the photo Rip Collins? Who is this Irv? Could it be Irv Kupcinet who was a Chicago Sports reporter for some time for the Chicago Times? Any ideas anyone?

Appreciate ANY help.

Dave

http://i626.photobucket.com/albums/tt347/Golfcollector/img302_zps0cc954db.jpg
http://i626.photobucket.com/albums/tt347/Golfcollector/img303_zpsf403d7d7.jpg

ATP
02-10-2015, 10:09 PM
I am really bad with faces, but that's Dizzy on the left obviously. Rip Collins was a teammate of Dean's for several years. The name at the bottom that's signed looks more like Ira to me. The player on the right doesn't look like Rip. Wish I could help more.
Jeff

GKreindler
02-10-2015, 10:29 PM
I agree with Jeff on Dizzy: definitely him on the left. I don't recognize the player on the right, though. He kinda looks like Steve Mesner, but the ears don't seem to match in the one photo I saw. However, it might be worth looking into more shots of him.

Also, I'm pretty sure it's the '38 club, as per the jerseys.

Not sure about anything else, unfortunately.

Graig

GKreindler
02-10-2015, 10:34 PM
I'm wondering if maybe he could be a batboy or some other non-player? I say that because I just noticed that his jersey is missing the stripes that come from the shoulders and down the sleeves. Perhaps it's homemade? Or maybe he's wearing the '37 togs which lack those stripes??

Questions...questions that need answering!

Graig

Chris Counts
02-10-2015, 11:45 PM
The guy on the right is wearing a catcher's mitt, but he doesn't resemble any catcher who played with Dizzy on the Cubs. I looked at a bunch of George Burke photos of Cubs from the era and I couldn't find a match.

ATP
02-10-2015, 11:54 PM
I will admit I had no idea who Irv Kupcinet is, but I looked up images, and the fellow on the right looks way too "soft" to be him, or any other player I noticed during a quick search on 1938-1940 cubs team photos.