PDA

View Full Version : John Titus Phillies Player Cancelled Checks

mettoy66
02-06-2015, 09:42 PM
I contacted PSA and he is not on file so they will not authenticate. JSA wants over $400.00 to do the first and I am not sure it is worth it as I don't know value on his auto. These where found in the house I grew up in St. Clair, PA. Also John Titus's hometown. He is a distant relation to me on my mothers side of the family. Other then that I know he died during the war and these checks are from his later life. Know he is famous as the mustached man of the T206 Set!

canjond
02-06-2015, 09:54 PM
The "T" in Titus compares somewhat favorable to his T-205 card.

btcarfagno
02-07-2015, 03:46 AM
There should be an example in the book "Dead Ball Stars Of The National League". I will have a look and let you know what I see.

If authentic these are wonderful pieces. Not sure if the mysterious premium his T206 card carries would translate to his autograph, but all T206 player autographs are in demand. He died in 1943, so the autograph is certainly very tough. These are the first I have seen.

Tom C

tazdmb
02-07-2015, 08:27 AM
I am sorry to turn this into a bash-JSA post, but c'mon. $400! All of a sudden they will find an example in their exemplar archive of his autograph. They will do (at most) exactly what Tom recommended doing. I respect PSA for the fact that they admit that can't render an opinion and therefore will not take your money.

Buy the way-beautiful checks!

Jay Wolt
02-07-2015, 08:49 AM
I collect checks and prefer non-slabbed ones.
Way too bulky and usually you can tell the authenticity of the bank stampings and signature.

To me there is no doub't the sigs are authentic & they were left in his home town & s a distant relative.
No need for anyone to fake his sig in '38
& no need to spend $400 to authenticate.

btcarfagno
02-07-2015, 09:10 AM
His signature line in the Deadball book is blank. One of the few they did not find an exemplar for. Mr. Titus must be very tough indeed.

Tom C

jad22
02-07-2015, 05:12 PM
Did you try SGC?

chaddurbin
02-07-2015, 05:44 PM
why was the pic removed? instead of submitting to the tpa...you should be charging them for providing an exemplar.

7nohitter
02-07-2015, 05:55 PM
Yes, why was the picture removed?

mettoy66
02-07-2015, 08:10 PM
The 2 checks have been sold and are no longer in my collection.

btcarfagno
02-07-2015, 08:30 PM
Guess I should have asked if they were for sale. There is a happy board member somewhere out there. Congratulations whomever you are.

Tom C

1963Topps Set
02-08-2015, 11:34 AM
How much did they go for?

milkit1
02-09-2015, 02:24 PM
Wow! Yeah I'd like to know as I have a a dick egan 1909 check and he would be of about the same value. What got me interstellar in the first place was getting the Deadball stars of the national league book and noticing that they didn't have an example of his (John Titus) autograph.

milkit1
02-09-2015, 07:34 PM
anyone?

Bored5000
02-09-2015, 11:21 PM
I wish the images had not been removed from this thread. :( I had not looked at this section of the board for a few days and would have liked to see the checks. Nevertheless, that does sound like a cool story from the original poster.

HexsHeroes
02-10-2015, 05:59 AM
I wish the images had not been removed from this thread. :( I had not looked at this section of the board for a few days and would have liked to see the checks. Nevertheless, that does sound like a cool story from the original poster.

Ditto. Missed viewing OC the last several days and would have loved to have viewed the image(s) too. But then, that often occurs when something has been sold in the B/S/T section too. An item is listed, sells, the image removed, and then I come across the original listing. Not sure why prices tend to be deleted/removed either. Slapped the word SOLD in bold lettering next to the price would seem to say enough. My loss.

milkit1
02-10-2015, 09:35 AM
Yeah I got a message from my pm (asking what it sold for) saying to contact the buyer (and no information provided ). Since when is baseball memorabilia sales supposed to be top secret? Ugh

HexsHeroes
02-11-2015, 08:39 AM
I have always valued Net54 Old Cardboard as both an educational tool and community of devoted collectors of most/all things baseball. Shamefully, I have not utilized OC as a source of vintage autographs to buy. But that is my own shortcoming. So the sharing of exemplars, prices asked/achieved are of use to me, and likely to others. Just from the standpoint that an item offered/sold probably has similar counterparts in the collections of other OC members. To me, the price of the item sold is a good, general indicator of what the going market price is. Am I looking to sell; probably not. But if an item sells for an unexpectedly high price; I may reconsider and offer a similar item for sale. And to be very honest, I love seeing what others have, that I do not. Just my two cents worth.

ATP
02-18-2015, 07:09 PM
I was the happy Titus buyer, for those who inquired :-)