PDA

View Full Version : set popularity

EvilKing00
02-04-2015, 04:50 AM
T206 cards seem to dominate when it comes to collectors a lot more so than any other set I have seen. Im looking to get opinions on just why this is. Why does the T206 set get collected more than the t205's? or the T3, or the crackerjacks?

1- overall numbers- T206 cards were issued from 1908 through 1911, with 525 (i think) different cards. T205's were issued in 1911 with 221 (different cards) which is the reason there are more t206's on ebay and other auction houses as opposed to t205's. I would guess the t205's are overall more rare. So its just easier to collect t206's cause there are more out there?

2- overall eye appeal, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, the t206's are nice looking cards but to me the t205 artwork, gold borders, unique stats and bios on the backs of the t205's are just more appealing, the t'3 are gorgeous could be the best looking card ever made, and the crackerjacks are pretty sweet too.

3- is it the the lure of the wagner that makes the set so popular?- of course anyone would want this card but just how many are accounted for? searching the internet I come up with a less than 60 answer. And I wonder just how many sets have been fully COMPLEATED with the wagner and every card in the set.

im sure this has been gone over before - but I was just thinking out loud here and would love to see what others have to say about the t206 set being so much more popular than any other set.

ullmandds
02-04-2015, 05:22 AM
omg...another gratuitous T206 thread??? You must still be 1/2 asleep???:eek:

glchen
02-04-2015, 12:38 PM
I think the T206's are well designed and have great eye appeal. They look much better than T205's. The T3's are really large and scarce so are tougher to collect. Cracker Jack paper stock is very thin and the cards can also be very scarce. Since Piedmonts and Sweet Caps are so plentiful, the set is easy to collect (although obviously practically impossible to finish). There are many different ways to collect the set such as with the different backs, a plentiful list of top tier HOFers with beautiful cards, and also the cards are nothing like the modern cards out today, so they have the nice look where you can imagine the cards just coming out of a cigarette pack a hundred years ago.

(Of course, I have ZERO T206's currently in my collection.)

dlfallen
02-04-2015, 02:09 PM
T206's are just plain evil -- as in very addictive.

My collecting focus is vintage PCL, especially Seattle Rainiers items. Seattle Popcorn cards (ones I need) seldom come up so I started buying T206's for something to do. I found I could pick up some pretty nice looking cards for $15. Can't find a decent (or any) T3's or CJ's for $15. I do NOT collect T206's, but I am up to 325 different cards. I have no T206 collecting goals - I do not collect teams, backs, Horizontals, or whatever. It is a pure case of "Idon'thavethatoneits". Any time I need a "fix", the cards are readily available. Is there a support group for people like me?

I put much of the blame on the Net54 group. The BST board makes it quite comfortable to buy cards with no worries or hassles. I've met some really nice guys there and see a few of them at the local PNWSCA shows. Someday I'll get to another National and meet a few more, including Leon.

In the meantime, I do enjoy looking at the T206's that I don't collect. Maybe someday I can trade them for scarce Seattle Popcorn cards that I need (or 1933 Wheaties Seattle Indians, or 1937 Imperial Candy Seattle Indians, or even Hygrade Meats, Henry House Wieners, or Milwaukee Sausage Seattle Rainiers cards that I need).

bn2cardz
02-04-2015, 02:18 PM
Said as a t205 collector, t205 portraits leave a lot to be desired by most t206 collectors. t207 lacks the color.

Yet as to why it out ranks e90-1 and e92 may be the size. T206's are all over the place. If you are looking for a quick card to buy it is the most accessible. Many times I find myself buying some for no other reason than I see them on ebay at great prices and just want to buy. Even at shows I can get dealers that have stacks upon stacks of t206, but when asked about t205 they say "I think I have a couple somewhere".