PDA

View Full Version : PSA/DNA authenticates non-signatures?

swarmee
02-02-2015, 04:14 PM
http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NzIyWDQxOA==/z/hfUAAOSw-W5UyBIw/$_57.JPG
Can you identify the location of the autograph in this slab? As far as I can tell, here is the text:
"Feb 18, 1996
John, It was an honor for me to send you an autograph. It was an honor for me to play on a Phila Eagle team, that won 2 World Championship Games. I caught a pass - 52 yards - against the Chicago Cards for a T.D. in one."

I bought the item here:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/371245636026?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
and figured that since the autograph wasn't on the front, it was on the back. However, the back only has "Pat McHugh HB-DB Ga Tech" in pencil.

I like the item anyways and didn't pay much for it; since it was a Buy-It-Now, I didn't even ask for a back scan of the signature, and I don't plan to return it. But I'm confused how PSA/DNA decided to authenticate a signature that didn't exist.

canjond
02-02-2015, 09:36 PM
I see a "1" in the upper right corner. Could it be this was index card "1" of "2", and the signature appeared on the next card. Accordingly, PSA DNA slabbed them both, intending that they stay together? In any event, I agree with you that the label is misleading.

swarmee
02-03-2015, 04:23 AM
I see a "1" in the upper right corner. Could it be this was index card "1" of "2", and the signature appeared on the next card. Accordingly, PSA DNA slabbed them both, intending that they stay together? In any event, I agree with you that the label is misleading.

That would make some sense. But then this item shouldn't have been encapsulated separately from it.

MikeKam
02-03-2015, 08:55 AM
I'm pretty sure that PSA authenticates handwriting as well, so I assume this may just be an example of that.

swarmee
02-03-2015, 03:57 PM
The slab does specify "Auto" though.

David Atkatz
02-03-2015, 04:00 PM
An "autograph" is anything handwritten. "Autograph" does not mean "signature," even though most people think it does.

MikeKam
02-03-2015, 04:03 PM
The slab does specify "Auto" though.

That's true, but I'm guessing that those labels are standard for anything related to autographs/writing. I've never seen any "Text" specifications or something like that.

The only thing I would try to find are Muhammad Ali hand written speech notes. I know PSA has authenticated many, just not sure if they're slabbed.

thenavarro
02-03-2015, 08:28 PM
An "autograph" is anything handwritten. "Autograph" does not mean "signature," even though most people think it does.

What he said ^^^

MikeKam
02-03-2015, 09:11 PM

Did not know that, cool.