PDA

View Full Version : Do you think this is a real T206 Honus Wagner?

jace15076
02-01-2015, 06:15 AM
I've been desperately trying to find an unaltered Wagner for sale. I came into contact with someone from California who said he found the following card in a book he bought from an estate sale last month. I'm pretty sure it's a fake, but wanted some insight on the images I was sent this morning.

http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x420/jas15076/Front.jpg

http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x420/jas15076/Back.jpg

Jason Carota
02-01-2015, 06:18 AM
Definitely a fake. The font is wrong.

sportzjunky
02-01-2015, 06:22 AM
its doctored reprint….. go to ebay and type in "Wagner aged reprint".. look at the font. then go here and look at the font of a real wagner…
http://robertedwardauctions.com/auction/2013/2.html#photos

brob28
02-01-2015, 06:30 AM
Definitely a fake. The font is wrong.

I agree, fake

jace15076
02-01-2015, 06:31 AM
The font was also the first thing I questioned. I wanted to make sure my old eyes were seeing correctly. Thanks for the quick replies. My hunt continues...

btcarfagno
02-01-2015, 06:40 AM
The font was also the first thing I questioned. I wanted to make sure my old eyes were seeing correctly. Thanks for the quick replies. My hunt continues...

For your sake I hope your hunt is a true one as opposed to a get rich quick one. There are no "unknown" Wagner examples out there. Every single one that has been bought and sold over at least the past 50 years have been photographed and cataloged.

On the other hand, there are tens of thousands of fake aged Wagners such as the one you posted.

If you do that math, I hope and pray that you heed my advice. Stop looking for a needle in the haystack Wagner that does not exist. You will go broke before you ever run into a real one this way. If you truly want a real one and truly have the money, get one through a major sports auction house. One or two pop up every year.

If you do not have the money to get one at a major auction house but want one desperately then, well, join the club. Just understand that you will not ever find one responding to people who "found it at an estate sale". It simply will not happen.

Tom C

bobbyw8469
02-01-2015, 06:51 AM
If you do not have the money to get one at a major auction house but want one desperately then, well, join the club. Just understand that you will not ever find one responding to people who "found it at an estate sale". It simply will not happen.

This should be posted all over the internet!! No truer words have been spoken!

Bpm0014
02-01-2015, 07:05 AM
Definitely fake but I don't buy this story. This guy is a new member who just signed up a couple of days ago and he's asking if a Wagner is good that someone is offering to him?? Strange....

bobbyw8469
02-01-2015, 07:08 AM
PS - I was under the impression that no T206 Honus Wagner's with a Piedmont back existed. I thought the only ones that were legit and in circulation all had Sweet Caporal backs. Some of the experts can correct me if I'm wrong, but the back should be the dead giveaway also.

t206blogcom
02-01-2015, 07:22 AM
You sure it was California and not Ohio? ;)

1963Topps Set
02-01-2015, 07:38 AM
For some reason, those who recreate cards just can't match the fonts exactly.

bobbyw8469
02-01-2015, 07:40 AM
And don't forget...no Piedmont Wagner exist!

PMSeevers
02-01-2015, 07:48 AM
PS - I was under the impression that no T206 Honus Wagner's with a Piedmont back existed. I thought the only ones that were legit and in circulation all had Sweet Caporal backs. Some of the experts can correct me if I'm wrong, but the back should be the dead giveaway also.

I believe there are three known examples of a Piedmont 150 back.

Leon
02-01-2015, 07:50 AM

I had lunch 2 days ago with someone that has one.

pawpawdiv9
02-01-2015, 07:59 AM
Some interesting info to read on Wagners price history & owners.
I did not know about Wal-mart being involved.
http://www.honus-wagner.org/2008/02/honus-wagner-t206-price-and-owner.html

Here is a old thread that was started back in 2011 on the Net54 boards: http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=145402

vintagesportscollector
02-01-2015, 08:35 AM
Definitely fake but I don't buy this story. This guy is a new member who just signed up a couple of days ago and he's asking if a Wagner is good that someone is offering to him?? Strange....

A bit strange. If there were someone who wasn't seeking, but just stumbled across a Wagner while sifting through books, and came onto this site to ask, I could see that.....But to be "desperately trying to find" implies some knowledge of what you are looking for, but yet can't spot the most obvious of common reprints?? If I am desperate for anything I would do a little more homework.

The hunt continues....Jace, no offense and good luck, but you would be well served studying the endless volumes that have been written on the Wagner on this site, and soak up the knowledge of the forum before you step out into the Wild unarmed an unprepared.

Fred
02-01-2015, 08:37 AM

I've seen hundreds (probably thousands) of them on fleabay.

Edited to add, pretty soon we'll see one with a Ty Cobb back or better yet, the ultra rare Honus Wagner back....

ullmandds
02-01-2015, 08:44 AM
For your sake I hope your hunt is a true one as opposed to a get rich quick one. There are no "unknown" Wagner examples out there. Every single one that has been bought and sold over at least the past 50 years have been photographed and cataloged.

On the other hand, there are tens of thousands of fake aged Wagners such as the one you posted.

If you do that math, I hope and pray that you heed my advice. Stop looking for a needle in the haystack Wagner that does not exist. You will go broke before you ever run into a real one this way. If you truly want a real one and truly have the money, get one through a major sports auction house. One or two pop up every year.

Tom C

Of course there are still "unknown" wagners out there!

Leon
02-01-2015, 08:45 AM
I've seen hundreds (probably thousands) of them on fleabay.

Edited to add, pretty soon we'll see one with a Ty Cobb back or better yet, the ultra rare Honus Wagner back....

Those you have seen on ebay aren't real. There are, as stated, 2-3 Wagners with Piedmont backs that are real. Let's be careful not to put the wrong info out here. There are legit Piedmont Wagners, they just aren't the ones you see being sold on ebay.

pokerplyr80
02-01-2015, 11:49 AM

I agree something doesn't add up. Why would someone looking for a card that sells for 400k minimum be trying to find one ungraded?

buymycards
02-01-2015, 12:21 PM
If you are willing to spend money on a Wagner, at least do a little homework. Spend ten bucks on a loupe and compare the Wagner to a $10 T206 common. Invest another $15 on a black light.

Rick

Fred
02-01-2015, 02:06 PM
How many REAL Wags have been sold on ebay (graded or not)? How many times has someone purchased a raw Wags on ebay and had it come back as real from a reliable grader (SGC or PSA, for example)?

Jeffrompa
02-02-2015, 11:01 AM
If I had one I don't think I would broadcast it either .

TCMA
02-24-2015, 08:04 AM
Those you have seen on ebay aren't real. There are, as stated, 2-3 Wagners with Piedmont backs that are real. Let's be careful not to put the wrong info out here. There are legit Piedmont Wagners, they just aren't the ones you see being sold on ebay.

Leon, is it known where the three Piedmont back Wagners originated from, who discovered them, etc?

Leon
02-25-2015, 08:25 AM
Leon, is it known where the three Piedmont back Wagners originated from, who discovered them, etc?

I think there is some provenance on them but I don't know off hand. The T206 guys probably know.

1952boyntoncollector
02-25-2015, 09:50 AM
I original poster was just joking guys....my hunt continues for a signed slabbed t206 wagner..