PDA

View Full Version : Cracking a Case ....

botport
01-31-2015, 02:52 AM
Any veterans care to help a rookie with this process?
I have never busted one open before and was hoping to learn some proven techniques before I attempt the procedure.

Also, is there any difference depending on what slab I am prying open ?
For instance, to my eye Beckett cases seem more solidly constructed then say PSA...

As always, thanks for reading my post and for your help in advance....

alanu
01-31-2015, 03:02 AM
I just put it in a plastic graded card bag, break off a top corner, slide in a butter knife by the label and the case should pop open.

The Beckett cases definitely take a little more muscle but same technique works for me on those too.

toledo_mudhen
01-31-2015, 04:19 AM
Have only done a Beckett slab once. I put the top 1/2 inch or so into a 5" vice and cranked until it crushed.Worked out fine but I would advise to test on a beater 1st.

bobbyw8469
01-31-2015, 04:34 AM
I have invested in a drimmel. Dpeck over on the PSA boards has some type of bolt cutter that seems to work better.

Tao_Moko
01-31-2015, 05:41 AM
Super easy. All it requires is a jewelers screwdriver. I have and SGC to pop(they pop easy) and I will take a video and upload for you. Or, send me an email at esharpwork@gmail.com

JollyElm
01-31-2015, 05:50 AM
I've never seen this mentioned, but wouldn't a table saw be an easy as pie way to free the cardboard from it's plastic dungeon? Has anyone done that?

Tao_Moko
01-31-2015, 05:51 AM
I've never seen this mentioned, but wouldn't a table saw be an easy as pie way to free the cardboard from it's plastic dungeon? Has anyone done that?

It's totally unnecessary. I will post a video tonight showing how simple it is.

brob28
01-31-2015, 06:14 AM
I have used a dremmel hand tool with the cutting disc many times, it has worked easily and with no damage to the card many times. The blade is small enough that you can really control your cuts.

Pat R
01-31-2015, 07:27 AM
I use ceramic tile nippers to clip a small piece off the corner of the slab then
use the jaws to separate the two haves by pulling down on one half until I can get my fingers between them and pull them apart. It usually takes less
than 30 seconds including beckett slabs. Make sure you use eye protection if you use this method.

KCRfan1
01-31-2015, 07:39 AM
As a method mentioned before, I use a very small screwdriver. The new PSA and Beckett are a pain for me to open. However, whichever slab you are opening, take your time as to not damage the card.

buymycards
01-31-2015, 07:49 AM
Use the search function on the board. There are probably a dozen threads on this same topic.

whelenfan
02-01-2015, 12:13 PM
I have just used a "thinned blade" screwdriver and gently slip it between front and back of the case/slab and once in, twist. You may have to work your way around the perimeter of the case a bit. Very simple, effective and the blade never comes anywhere near the card.

P.S. I had previously customized the driver that I use for some gunsmithing chores, but any blade thin enough to slip in along the edge of the slab will do.

dabigyankeeman
02-01-2015, 12:16 PM
Been doing this for decades, I use a pliers to break off and end then stick a thin screwdriver carefully in and move it so that the slab comes apart.

Section103
02-01-2015, 12:19 PM
I hold down the case on a table top with one corner laying over the edge. Take a hammer to it, striking away towards the edge. The great thing about cracking Becketts is that they are in the sealed sleeve inside the case. Gives you a little more protection in the process.

mybuddyinc
02-01-2015, 12:36 PM
Hammer and oyster knife. Crack and shuck.

Luke
02-01-2015, 12:37 PM
Butter knife for SGC cases. Takes 3 seconds.

asoriano
02-01-2015, 12:45 PM
I hold down the case on a table top with one corner laying over the edge.

I've had a lot of success with this method too. My tool of choice is usually the blunt end of a butter knife.

FrankWakefield
02-01-2015, 05:11 PM
Having tried several methods over the years, I settled on what Arnie has in post 13. In the process of intentionally damaging the slab, it's important to not damage the card. This method seems least risky to the card for me.

Econteachert205
02-01-2015, 05:41 PM
Step one, break off top corner (I put the case in a vise and snap it). Step two slide a flathead screwdriver under break. Step 3 pry slowly and carefully, case should pop apart. I've done this numerous times with psa and sgc holders, not much with bvg.

Zach Wheat
02-01-2015, 08:58 PM

I actually use something similar....a chop saw....and it works well with almost no risk at injuring the cards or operator if done correctly.

Beckett cases are very difficult to open and since they seal cards inside of a thin plastic envelope, it cuts easily through these as well.

This has been the most consistent method for opening any type of cases. And I have never damaged a card. Wouldn't hesitate to open expensive cards in this manner

Z wheat

frankbmd
02-01-2015, 09:28 PM
I use tin snips on an upper corner and then the small screwdriver, both already mentioned, but I also start to sing at the same time.

I cracked a slab today, oh boy
To free a lucky man who made the grade
Although the grade was really poor
Well I just had to laugh
I'd seen the photograph
Paper loss and creases through his head
No one noticed that the whites had changed
A crowd of people stood and stared
They'd seen his face before
Nobody was really sure if it was Harry Lord.

I won a card today, oh boy
My snipe did win the Ebay bidding war
A crowd of bidders walked away.
But then I took a look,
the seller was indeed a crook
I'd love to turn him in.

Woke up, fell out of bed
Soon the Web, filled my head
Found my way to 54 and drank a cup
And looking up, I saw a new post
Cobb Bat Off, gotta have that
Sent a PM in seconds flat
No response, I had a smoke
When the seller spoke, I went into a dream

Ah

I sold a card today, oh boy
Four thousand holes in Blackburne's chest
and though the holes were rather small
the buyer had to count them all
Now we know how many holes it takes to fill a Neal Ball
I'd love to turn him in.

Stonepony
02-02-2015, 07:16 AM
I use tin snips on an upper corner and then the small screwdriver, both already mentioned, but I also start to sing at the same time.

I cracked a slab today, oh boy
To free a lucky man who made the grade
Although the grade was really poor
Well I just had to laugh
I'd seen the photograph
Paper loss and creases through his head
No one noticed that the whites had changed
A crowd of people stood and stared
They'd seen his face before
Nobody was really sure if it was Harry Lord.

I won a card today, oh boy
My snipe did win the Ebay bidding war
A crowd of bidders walked away.
But then I took a look,
the seller was indeed a crook
I'd love to turn him in.

Woke up, fell out of bed
Soon the Web, filled my head
Found my way to 54 and drank a cup
And looking up, I saw a new post
Cobb Bat Off, gotta have that
Sent a PM in seconds flat
No response, I had a smoke
When the seller spoke, I went into a dream

Ah

I sold a card today, oh boy
Four thousand holes in Blackburne's chest
and though the holes were rather small
the buyer had to count them all
Now we know how many holes it takes to fill a Neal Ball
I'd love to turn him in.

Superb

ZachS
02-02-2015, 08:52 AM
Like others have said, PSA and SGC are really easy to pry open. For GAI cases I've had to use pliers to break the outer edges before prying open.

Just don't use a really sharp knife as your prying tool... I speak from experience.

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p212/zguinness/IMGP0907_zpscf35451a.jpg

Beatles Guy
02-02-2015, 09:19 AM
The old PSA slabs are easy to break but the new ones can be tough. I ruined a 1949 Bowman Musial when part of a plastic shard tore the card about an inch. I cried a little, I admit it.