PDA

View Full Version : 1916 Cy Young Parents' Grave Plot Contract

Orioles1954
01-29-2015, 04:24 PM
Strange, I know. Pretty sure this is in Cy Young's father's hand but am not sure. The genealogy is right and came with a brief note and a slip notating Cy Young. Would like to part with it, but wanted to vet it first and get a little bit of an idea regarding value? Could any of this be in Cy's hand?

James

Klrdds
01-30-2015, 12:13 PM
I will try to give you an answer/ opinion to your question to the best of my ability . I have 4 Cy Young autographs in my collection from the early 1930s to the mid 1940s, and none of my signatures or examples in my collection have favorable comparisons to your lined notebook slip with Cy's name on it in in ink. Obviously the application and the last note of your post are not in his hand. Checking with others who might have more period signature examples of Cy from the era of 1916 , if indeed the sheet with Cy's name on it is from that time and not a later time, would be of greater help than I can offer based on my 4 examples in my collection.
But my instinct tells me that there is no writing of Cy Young's on any of your 3 sheets sorry to say. The bottom line would be that if offered for sale I would not be confident enough to purchase them.
For some examples you can also check PSA autograph facts, where they do have many examples of his signature which might help you if you haven't checked there yet. The samples listed there are good.
As for a value of the items I would say the only value would be if 1. the items were signed by Cy, or 2. if he was buried in that plot also. Otherwise they are just burial information for a customer with a famous son....and worth only what someone would be willing to pay for them.
Sorry I am not more positive for you maybe someone else will shed more positive light for you.

Orioles1954
01-30-2015, 01:03 PM
That's what I figured. Thanks so much.

Scott Garner
01-30-2015, 08:31 PM
I will try to give you an answer/ opinion to your question to the best of my ability . I have 4 Cy Young autographs in my collection from the early 1930s to the mid 1940s, and none of my signatures or examples in my collection have favorable comparisons to your lined notebook slip with Cy's name on it in in ink. Obviously the application and the last note of your post are not in his hand. Checking with others who might have more period signature examples of Cy from the era of 1916 , if indeed the sheet with Cy's name on it is from that time and not a later time, would be of greater help than I can offer based on my 4 examples in my collection.
But my instinct tells me that there is no writing of Cy Young's on any of your 3 sheets sorry to say. The bottom line would be that if offered for sale I would not be confident enough to purchase them.
For some examples you can also check PSA autograph facts, where they do have many examples of his signature which might help you if you haven't checked there yet. The samples listed there are good.
As for a value of the items I would say the only value would be if 1. the items were signed by Cy, or 2. if he was buried in that plot also. Otherwise they are just burial information for a customer with a famous son....and worth only what someone would be willing to pay for them.
Sorry I am not more positive for you maybe someone else will shed more positive light for you.

I would agree with Kevin's assessment as well....