PDA

View Full Version : Yet another T206 Thread - What's going on with this card?

wolf441
01-28-2015, 10:44 AM
Sorry for another T206 thread. I recently won this card and am wondering if anyone has thoughts on the WST transfer? It appears to be a Sweet Caporal overstamp, but the back of the Bates is a Piedmont 150. It also seems to have something else on the transfer as there is a red loop (bat) right over Bates' head and looks like maybe a player image in the middle of Bates' body?

My scans are pretty small, so here's the auction link:

http://www.jvscauctions.com/LotDetail.aspx?inventoryid=13805

I'll provide zoomed in scans when I have the card in hand.

Thoughts anyone?

caramelcard
01-28-2015, 10:58 AM
A Sweet Cap was laying on top of it and the cards were exposed to moisture.

The "loop" is the "S" in Sweet Caporal.

Rob

frankbmd
01-28-2015, 11:02 AM
You paid $60 for that piece of .................................................. .............................

Excuse me

..........................fine reverse Sweet Cap WST on the front of Bates.

I don't see anything else????????

wolf441
01-28-2015, 11:05 AM
That's just mean, Frank!! :D

Jobu
01-28-2015, 11:39 AM
I played with the image from the auction and don't see anything but a WST in this one - you can even see the block factory overprint. The red on the jesery appears to be additional text from the SC back.

steve B
01-28-2015, 11:45 AM
The WST is for sure something that happened after the card was issued.

Just water won't do it, I tried with water and pressure and couldn't make a transfer. The singing on the back is a clue, maybe heat, water and a long time sitting and maybe some soaking to get it apart from the rest of the stack?

What is interesting is how the red line on the shoulder stops short of the border even with what looks like decent registration. There's a few like that out there.

Steve B

Pat R
01-28-2015, 12:08 PM
What is interesting is how the red line on the shoulder stops short of the border even with what looks like decent registration. There's a few like that out there.

Steve B

Steve, I have seen that on a small % of the Bates cards here is one I have.

Patrick

wolf441
01-28-2015, 12:09 PM
The WST is for sure something that happened after the card was issued.

Just water won't do it, I tried with water and pressure and couldn't make a transfer. The singing on the back is a clue, maybe heat, water and a long time sitting and maybe some soaking to get it apart from the rest of the stack?

Steve B

Thanks for the insight Steve,

I was thinking the same thing with the singing. It's actually singed on both the front (right border on image) and back (left border on image). I also noticed the red shoulder line that stops short on his sleeve. I've seen a few others, but none currently on ebay (at least as of last week). I was thinking that the think broken red WST line in the middle was a belt, but I guess I was seeing things and it's just part of the Sweet Caporal printing.

I still think it's a cool and interesting card. I'll let you all know if I find anything more when I have it in hand. I really think I'm going to have to crack this one open! :D