PDA

View Full Version : Bowling Trophy: Looking for Information

cmoore330
01-27-2015, 01:19 PM
So...I bought this bowling trophy. I don't collect bowling items or trophies, but it just looked so cool and the price was good. Now I am trying to see if I can figure out anything about it. Size is approximately 13" tall and 8" wide at the base.

The inscription reads:

WAR HORSES
Winners of Fest Department League 1915-16
Donated by
METROPOLITAN ALLEYS

The stamp on the bottom:

MADE
AND GUARANTEED
-BY-
THE VAN BERGH S.P. CO.
ROCHESTER, N.Y.
U.S.A.

I have been able to find some information about the company, but have no clue of the location of Metropolitan Alleys at that time. If anyone has a guess for what something like this should be valued, I would appreciate that also.

Here is a link to pictures:

http://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/cmoore330/miscellaneous

vintagesportscollector
01-27-2015, 03:13 PM
Casey, I don't see any pictures.

khkco4bls
01-27-2015, 04:31 PM
neither do I

cmoore330
01-27-2015, 05:43 PM
Sorry guys. They show up on my screen, weird!

Anyway, here the link link: http://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/cmoore330/miscellaneous

gregr2
01-27-2015, 05:46 PM
That link doesn't seem to work either.

cmoore330
01-27-2015, 06:02 PM
Okay, I moved it and edited the previous posts!

gregr2
01-27-2015, 06:03 PM
Okay, I moved it and edited the previous posts!

Bingo!!! Working now.

vintagesportscollector
01-27-2015, 08:57 PM
Now that is cool! Wasn't what I was expecting when you said bowling trophy...it's a ball and pins. Very unique. Value could vary greatly and could be worth a lot more to a Bowling collector. I would put it in the $250 range, but could be more (maybe much more) to the right person.

cmoore330
01-28-2015, 08:16 AM
One more thought: Do I try to clean it up or leave it as is?

vintagesportscollector
01-28-2015, 08:44 AM
Here is where I would defer to other trophy experts on the forum, but I would clean it. Carbona precious metal wipes work great on removing tarnish.

perezfan
01-28-2015, 04:48 PM
I would clean /polish this one with no hesitation.

It's very cool.... hopefully Carlton H will see this and weigh in. He is prolific with sports trophies and figural pieces outside of the widely collected "norm"... Bowling, Track, Rowing, Golf, Cycling and even Tug of War!

I know Carlton could provide good perspective as well as a pretty accurate valuation.

CarltonHendricks
01-30-2015, 01:05 PM
Casey, Looks like a real nice trophy...I'd like to see some photos of it from mid side view as opposed to looking down on it...say three shots of three sides of it...and if you could advise the width of the ball...

But based on the photos you have up...looks like a real nice pick up...As vintage/antique bowling trophies go it looks like an exceptionally good one...has a nice ornate base....and the best part is the engraving job...they did a great job on that....the name WAR HORSES is way cool...seems like I saw that one or one like it recently on eBay...

About a year ago I forwarded a bowling trophy to a friend of mine who buys a lot of trophies on eBay...He wrote back the following that explains it pretty good... "I've been watching. I have a number of bowling trophies. They are hard to sell once you get them. They have to be pretty special. Jim"

I'd say your bowling trophy falls in the "pretty special" category...Actually I'm surprised it's gotten as much attention as it has...Not long ago I posted a 1914 bowling trophy plaque (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=197028) here that I thought was pretty special and it didn't get one comment...so you're doing pretty good!

As for value...I think vintagesportscollector was about spot on with the $250.00...maybe $350...but that all depends on where you were selling it...at the National probably $350.00...at a good flea market you'd probably be lucky to get $250.00...Tip for selling on line...post good clear large photos and lots of them...

Congrats on a real nice pick up!!!

cmoore330
01-30-2015, 10:31 PM
Thanks for all of the information guys! I would still love to figure where it originated, but I think I have hit a dead end.

To your request Carlton, I have taken some new pics and uploaded them here: http://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/cmoore330/miscellaneous. You'll notice that one of them shows part of an original label that is on the bottom as well.

As for the size of the ball, it is roughly 5.5 - 5.75 inches wide (18 inches around). I guess my next move will be getting some silver wipes to clean it up. After that...who knows? My wife has taken a liking to it, so maybe it is time to collect trophies!

vintagesportscollector
01-31-2015, 06:23 AM
My wife has taken a liking to it, so maybe it is time to collect trophies!

Lucky You! Now you can go and collect a whole room full of trophies. BTW - the more I see it, the more I like your Bowlong trophy. Thanks for the additional pics. My daughter is on her High School Bowling team (I was on mine too) and I have a Bowling trophy from 1924 with my name engraved on it - that's because I am named after my grandfather. And my dad bowled for Rutgers....must run in the family :).

vintagesportscollector
02-05-2015, 11:27 AM
Casey - looking through some pics of the last National on Carlton's site, I noticed that Doug and Diane from Sport n Spool had a similar bowling trophy in their booth.

cmoore330
02-05-2015, 11:52 AM
Nice find! I wonder if I can get more information on that one?

vintagesportscollector
02-05-2015, 01:46 PM
Try contacting them...

http://www.sportandspoolantiques.com/