PDA

View Full Version : Paypal EMV Changes

GehrigFan
01-27-2015, 10:06 AM
Anyone else get the email from PayPal regarding the upcoming EMV credit cards in October. I know it is a ways away, but the new EMV cards have microchips implanted (Big Brother, anyone?!). The hidden news though, is that beginning in October 2015, if a merchant accepts a non-EMV credit card and there is a dispute, the MERCHANT will now be responsible for the refund. So the question is, if someone pays you on PP for an eBay item and then disputes it, is eBay the "merchant" or are we, the sellers?

bbcardzman
01-27-2015, 10:24 AM
No matter what the eBay change in policy, you can be assured that the seller will be getting screwed as usual.

Rollingstone206
01-27-2015, 01:01 PM

thecatspajamas
01-28-2015, 06:29 PM
It sounds like those rules are for in-person point of sale transactions, not E-commerce.

+1

Especially since, to pay with Paypal, you don't even have to have a physical card. Microchips only help insofar as there is an actual card being swiped, right?

GehrigFan
01-29-2015, 12:29 PM
I hope that is the case. If so, it only affects those of us with the PayPal card swiper for cell phones, I guess? I don't even use it anymore since I no longer set up at shows.