PDA

View Full Version : 1933 DeLong's

kailes2872
01-26-2015, 07:17 PM
I am thinking of dipping my toe into the pre-war water. I will keep building the Topps and Bowman Run, but I have been looking at potential issues to take a swing at.

I saw an article about the DeLong's in a recent SMR. I really like the way that they look. I was thinking that it might be a good one to chase in PSA 2-4 condition since it is a relatively small set. I know that the Gehrig and a few others will require a pretty substantial investment, but assuming that my kids can deal with cards instead of cash for their inheritance and community college instead of ivy league, then it should be do-able.

With that said, are the cards readily available, or should I set my sights lower as I attempt to scratch this pre-war itch?

Thanks!

Leon
01-26-2015, 10:05 PM
I think the Delongs are a great set. The art deco look is fantastic. If I were to do sets this is probably one I would do. It is quite attainable and would be fun to find just the right cards, at the right prices. (poor scans, cards are same size)

leftygrove10
01-27-2015, 04:31 AM
I have always enjoyed this set. I bought the Gehrig last year to finish off my set.

kailes2872
01-27-2015, 07:07 AM
Brad - those cards look awesome - that is probably about the grade I would be looking to chase after. How long did it take to complete? Were there any that were tough to find - other than budgetary reasons?

bbcard1
01-27-2015, 07:14 AM
I did a low grade set (I am sure a 1 though out) last year and really enjoyed it. I will probably upgrade a couple for visual effect, but I am quite happy with it for now. Took me the better part of the year. They key was I picked up about half the set including the Gehrig in a lot purchase to get started.

leftygrove10
01-27-2015, 04:38 PM
Brad - those cards look awesome - that is probably about the grade I would be looking to chase after. How long did it take to complete? Were there any that were tough to find - other than budgetary reasons?

I bought all of the cards but Gehrig as a group. Then I found the Gehrig to finish it out.

kamikidEFFL
01-27-2015, 07:56 PM
Great set I looked at doing that set. But I went a different route, t201 style. I will prob tackle the delongs next set I go to tackle. To much on my plate as there is.