PDA

View Full Version : What's Up With Rube Geyer?

z28jd
01-23-2015, 07:39 AM
I've been looking for another one of these for awhile and haven't seen one. Check out the left shoulder of Rube Geyer here. This card is on Ebay right now. The graded one is mine that I bought sometime in 2013. Any ideas on this?

Jobu
01-23-2015, 07:59 AM
It looks like a Sweet Cap wet sheet transfer b/c the pattern on border edges perfectly matches up with a Sweet Cap back. However, the large red circle on his chest doesn't quite fit with that because it is in the wrong spot for the large writing on a SC back.

z28jd
01-23-2015, 08:02 AM
Plus, mine is the same spot and a Piedmont back. I thought maybe mine was just a stamp since I couldn't find any others, but he's another example in the same spot and a different back

Runscott
01-23-2015, 11:35 AM
Well, now the cat's out of the bag.

I've been collecting these for years and discussing various theories with Ted Z.

It is not a Sweet Cap 'C' and we have each shot holes in each other's theories every single time. I didn't want to post anything until I had an answer, and you can imagine, with my big mouth, how tough it's been to keep mum, but I managed !!!!

…still no answer. John - when I get some time I'll post all of the examples I've found and describe what they each have in common. I think my file has five or six, but I only looked actively for a few months. They are not all that uncommon, but they ARE a mystery that we 'need' to solve.

z28jd
01-23-2015, 12:53 PM
Thanks Scott. I don't think it's something that will add value, although I could be wrong, but I wasn't hiding my example to try to get more. I honestly thought it could have been a stamp that the graders missed, because I couldn't find any other examples back in 2013 when I got it. That, and it doesn't look like anything in particular. It's definitely an odd mark.

clydepepper
01-23-2015, 01:09 PM
I don't have a clue as to what that stain is...but, I will warn you against that dealer...no one's prices are higher...he does offer a small discount on sales off his website, however, so, if you must, go there to make your purchase.

z28jd
01-23-2015, 01:14 PM
If the card was a decent price, I would have bought it. I've waded through his listings plenty of times and shockingly, he does make some sales. Most of his T206 cards are more than twice what they normally sell for, but congrats to him if he can occasionally get those prices.

Runscott
01-23-2015, 01:45 PM
Thanks Scott. I don't think it's something that will add value, although I could be wrong, but I wasn't hiding my example to try to get more. I honestly thought it could have been a stamp that the graders missed, because I couldn't find any other examples back in 2013 when I got it. That, and it doesn't look like anything in particular. It's definitely an odd mark.

The only reason Ted and I kept quiet was because I wanted to figure it out before posting....yes, get a little of that T206 glory. We had some good theories, but kept getting 'deflated' (<=== Patriot reference) by cardboard walls.

T206.org
01-23-2015, 01:47 PM
Not that you haven't already thought of this, but it looks like it might be a removed logo insignia? http://www.sportslogos.net/logos/view/eq4b3gtidxf3q8je0h7y/St._Louis_Cardinals/1900/Primary_Logo

btcarfagno
01-23-2015, 01:51 PM
Not that you haven't already thought of this, but it looks like it might be a removed logo insignia? http://www.sportslogos.net/logos/view/eq4b3gtidxf3q8je0h7y/St._Louis_Cardinals/1900/Primary_Logo

I agree but the "C" would most likely be for Columbus, the only team he pitched for from 1907-1909.

Tom C

btcarfagno
01-23-2015, 01:53 PM
They could likely only find an image of him in his Columbus jersey and it made its way onto the final product. Perhaps they tried to diminish it from showing ad maybe it only shows up on cards with an extra red color pass? Just a guess. Or is it on all of them?

Tom C

Runscott
01-23-2015, 01:57 PM
They could likely only find an image of him in his Columbus jersey and it made its way onto the final product. Perhaps they tried to diminish it from showing ad maybe it only shows up on cards with an extra red color pass? Just a guess.

Tom C

Good guess, but it was one of our many theories, and a dead-end. And I realize that this is all brand-new for most everyone, but Ted and I discussed this over the phone, with loads of images and conjectures via email, for a couple of years (I think). The Columbus angle is a good one Tom, but it didn't work out. I would have to go back and try to remember why we gave up on that one, but I think it had to do either with the position of the 'C' on the uniform, and/or the time the 'C' cards were printed. There ARE come consistencies in terms of the backs that the red 'C' is found with, and if they were switched we would have had some 'still warm' theories. It is too weird of a mark to be random, but so far that is where we are.

I guess, in light of not having an answer for this anomaly, a brief article describing all of our failed theories might still be of interest. Through process of elimination perhaps someone else will figure this out. I will talk with Ted to discuss. I'm sure we could reconstruct our various theories and why we gave up on each.

At minimum, I will post my file of 'red C' Geyer cards in this thread later today.

Jason
01-23-2015, 02:54 PM
If the card was a decent price, I would have bought it. I've waded through his listings plenty of times and shockingly, he does make some sales. Most of his T206 cards are more than twice what they normally sell for, but congrats to him if he can occasionally get those prices.

Yesterday he listed a group of T210-6's I thought were overpriced. I needed a few of them and was hoping to maybe email him and work a deal out for a few. I have found he will take off a little more than the website discount if contacted directly. Today I checked my usual T210 search and saw he sold quite a few for the listed prices. Maybe they were more scarce than I thought and priced right?

z28jd
10-21-2015, 01:12 PM
Bringing back this old thread because there was another one of these in Mile High. A third different back too.

http://milehighcardco.com/1909_11_T206_Sovereign_Rube_Geyer_PSA_6_EX_MT-LOT40721.aspx#